SASS Wire Forum

Decock 2 Revolvers

Ranger Dan

Revolvers are first guns on the stage.

For whatever reason (brain fart, etc), the shooter (non gunfighter or B-Western) draws and cocks both revolvers but does not fire a round.

Can the shooter, with and under TO/RO guidance, restage with hammer down on empty chambers and restart the stage?

Yes it is legal for the TO/RO to supervise decocking as PWB posted. But just how would you do this without a safety violation. You can't decock 1 and holster it while you decock the other and re-index the cylinder. The only way I see this is the shooter would have to cock/decock each pistol 4 more times without error. As TO/RO, I'm not sure I would want to do this. Gunfighters, would you attempt this? Remember neither revolver can leave your hand until the hammer is down on an empty chamber or expended cartridge.

I'm curious, just how would you handle this situation?

Since you are already in the middle of a trainwreck, I only see two options:

1. fire both shots, holster, and go to the unloading table.

2. Go ahead and shoot this stage gunfighter, take your lumps (what is the penalty for shooting out of category... SDQ?) and know you are gonna be the target for some good humored ribbing.

3 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Are you asking about someone who is unable to decock then re-index one-handed?

I guess I'm asking if anyone can? Or would even try?

1 minute ago, Ranger Dan said:

I guess I'm asking if anyone can? Or would even try?

I just did it using either hand with both Colt SAAs and a Ruger Vaqueros.

So, yes...it can be done.

I would have to think, under TO supervision, decocking 1st revolver, staging it safely on counter, table, ground- whatever, then decocking and re-indexing 2nd revolver, stage it, re-index 1st revolver and then proceed would be the way to go. 

and yes, I believe I could cock-recock my way around the cylinder safely, but I think would not be the best way. 

probably best to just expend the 2 rounds, go to ULT and start over. And take the hoorawin you are going to get from your Pards. 

of just take the P, shoot the stage gunfighter! 

There is no provision in the rules allowing a revolver with the hammer down on an unfired round to leave the shooter's hand unless a malfunction has been declared.

Shooter "brain fade" is not a firearm/ammo malfunction.

2 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

There is no provision in the rules allowing a revolver with the hammer down on an unfired round to leave the shooter's hand unless a malfunction has been declared.

You sure it’s not tucked in the back of RO III? ;)

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I would have to think, under TO supervision, decocking 1st revolver, staging it safely on counter, table, ground- whatever, then decocking and re-indexing 2nd revolver, stage it, re-index 1st revolver and then proceed would be the way to go. 

and yes, I believe I could cock-recock my way around the cylinder safely, but I think would not be the best way. 

Yes that is the first method that comes to mind, you just earned a SDQ for the 1st revolver leaving your hand with a live round under the hammer.

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I'm liking my option #2 best.  I'm here to have fun, otherwise I wouldn't shoot a 10ga 87!  Since first penalty for shooting out of category is a simple P, enjoy shooting a stage gunfighter, and be dang sure not to screw up like that again.  You are gonna be the butt of a few jokes, but everybody gets a turn at that. :)  It isn't like there is a $10,000 prize for coming in first place.

36 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I'm liking my option #2 best.  I'm here to have fun, otherwise I wouldn't shoot a 10ga 87!  Since first penalty for shooting out of category is a simple P, enjoy shooting a stage gunfighter, and be dang sure not to screw up like that again.  You are gonna be the butt of a few jokes, but everybody gets a turn at that. :)  It isn't like there is a $10,000 prize for coming in first place.

I think you are right. Shoot it GF and take the P and the ribbing. No caddy! 

but I do shoot on occasion with a guy that gets so bent out of shape if he gets a P he likely will pack up his guns and go home. It amazes me how some folks forget this is just a game! 

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think you are right. Shoot it GF and take the P and the ribbing. No caddy! 

but I do shoot on occasion with a guy that gets so bent out of shape if he gets a P he likely will pack up his guns and go home. It amazes me how some folks forget this is just a game! 

That's what I would do! Just go ahead and shoot it GF and take the P, at least you'll have some fun to compensate for the P!:lol:

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Also can’t decock to avoid a penalty. So I guess the only option available is to take the P? 

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Also can’t decock to avoid a penalty. So I guess the only option available is to take the P? 

If no round has gone downrange...has the shooting out of category penalty already occurred?

If the decock instructions have been given and the shooter is allowed a restart...did the decock instructions allow the avoidance of a penalty?

Phantom

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If no round has gone downrange...has the shooting out of category penalty already occurred?

If the decock instructions have been given and the shooter is allowed a restart...did the decock instructions allow the avoidance of a penalty?

Phantom

If you were TO what would you do? 

The question re "de-cocking" was asked & answered yesterday.

WTC - two cocked revolvers, non gun-fighter - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Decock

Restart

Phantom

Would you require him to hold both revolvers until at least one had an open chamber under hammer? 

To reference another thread. 

Maybe the TO should just be quiet and see what happens! :(

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

To reference another thread. 

Maybe the TO should just be quiet and see what happens! :(

Awwwww...did someone's feelings get hurt?

Come on. 

A request to de-cock and restart has NOTHING to do with the other thread.

Add something relevant...or at least funny fer gawds sake.

Phantom

I want to see a Firing Line video on this.

This should not be confused with a gf experiencing a misfire or squib on the first round of a stage in pistols.   He can declared a broken gun   After asking for permission to make safe he can ground the offending pistol and then make the other pistol safe if it had been cocked.   Then make the offending pistol safe if he can to restart the stage.   Or go to unloading table.   

Time is running.

Shooter: may I decock?

TO: think you can decock and reindex a pistol with just one hand?

Shooter: why can't I use both hands?

ETC!

Time still running 45 seconds later. 

Shooter: I will just shoot GF.

TO: good choice.

Or

TO: no! Shoot them.

17 minutes ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

Time is running.

ETC!

Or

But What if he is shooting Blackhawks? ;)

17 minutes ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

Time is running.

ETC!

Or

OR

TO: Yes

Shooter: decocks left pistol and sets it on table / prop or holster

Shooter: decocks right pistol and indexes cylinder to empty chamber and holsters

Shooter: picks up left pistol and indexes cylinder to empty chamber and maybe realizes what he just did!

TO: SDQ, pick up your guns and move to the unloading table.

2 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

OR

TO: Yes

Shooter: decocks left pistol and sets it on table / prop or holster

Shooter: decocks right pistol and indexes cylinder to empty chamber and holsters

Shooter: picks up left pistol and indexes cylinder to empty chamber and maybe realizes what he just did!

TO: SDQ, pick up your guns and move to the unloading table.

Or

TO: yes

Shooter then attempt's to decock and cock pistol trying to get to the empty chamber, thumb slips off hammer, gun goes off striking table. 

TO: MDQ. Should have shot the guns.

35 minutes ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

Or

TO: yes

Shooter then attempt's to decock and cock pistol trying to get to the empty chamber, thumb slips off hammer, gun goes off striking table. 

TO: MDQ. Should have shot the guns.

Or maybe he/she just tries to shoot Gunfighter and ends up shooting up the table...or prop...or...person...

Phantom

I still kinda think RO III page 22 ought to rule. “TO uses his best judgment on a sticky situation” 

shooter: May I decock?

TO: Decock 1 gun, place on table with muzzle safely pointed down range. Then decock 2nd pistol, re-index, place on table. Pick up pistol one. Re-index. Holster both pistols, take a deep breath and start over. 

37 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I still kinda think RO III page 22 ought to rule. “TO uses his best judgment on a sticky situation” 

shooter: May I decock?

TO: Decock 1 gun, place on table with muzzle safely pointed down range. Then decock 2nd pistol, re-index, place on table. Pick up pistol one. Re-index. Holster both pistols, take a deep breath and start over. 

This solution is too simple, too logical and too safe. I like it.

38 minutes ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

This solution is too simple, too logical and too safe. I like it.

And it violates a SASS rule...

And what a great deal for the T.O. Now he/she becomes liable. 

Wonderful...

Get permission to de-cock and re-index SAFELY one-handed (or do one with one hand, then use both for the 2nd revolver) in order to RESTART.

OR

Request that the T/O allow FIRING the rounds "off the clock"; then reload, re-index, verify chamber positions and RESTART.

OR

Request that the T/O allow FIRING the rounds "off the clock"; go back to LT to reload & regroup.

OR

Request that the T/O allow FIRING the rounds "off the clock"; go to ULT, unload, show clear, then get back in line at the LT.

OR

Fire the rounds "on the clock" and accept the penalty.

Archived