SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Cap fit?

McCandless

All my percussion revolvers have been changed over to Slix-Shot nipples, and I have enough Remington #10's to last for a year or two.

But, other folks are not so lucky as to have Rem 10s.

So, I was asked "What other brand and size percussion caps fit what nipples, on what make guns, without squeezing the cap to make it fit?

Before going out and buying the different brands and sizes of caps still available, and different stock and aftermarket nipples... I'm going to ask the collected brain trust here.

What brand and size of percussion cap solidly fits and functions well with (whatever nipple you are using)?

37 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Tresco and Remington #10's on 4 different pistol types.

Any recommendations for those unable to find Remington #10s?

CCI #10s do not fit my Slix very well.  Switching back to factory uberti nipples made CCI 10s work okay but nowhere near as good as the combo of Slix and Rem #10s.

At the last monthly another Frontiersman was running a pair of Ruger OAs that had a nipple conversion that allowed the gun to use 209 shotgun primers.  He said the 209s worked but were a major PITA to remove the fired 209.  While 209s are scarce too they are nowhere near as hard to find as Remington #10s.

I have decided to conserve my few remaining Remington #10s for bigger matches and switch to Frontier Cartridge Duelist until hopefully Remington starts producing 10s again.

4 minutes ago, Big Iron Buster said:

CCI #11 on SliXnipples also #10 Rem

CCI #11s are very loose on my Slixs.  Yes they do work, but I need to sort of pinch fit them to make them stay on. YMMV

I’ve been saving my Remington #10s for major matches and using CCI #11s for local matches. The #11s haven’t given me any trouble with fitting on the Slix nipples or of falling off during shooting. 

I have had poor luck using CCI#11 with my slix nipples. I switched back to Tresso with a little better luck.  Average about one fail to fire on each stage with the Tresso nipples. I tried factory nipples with my Pietta revolvers with the best results. Rumor is that the company that owns CCI purchased Remington #10 and that may mean we will never see Remington #10 again. The packaging with my Slix nipples states use only Remington 10 caps but their web page states they will work with CCI#11. Shooting C&B is a challenge on a good day but even worse now without the Remington #10’s.

I use TOW nipples and Rem.#11. TOW says they are made for CCI #11's but haven't tried them. The Rem. #11's have worked flawlessly, knock on wood!

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I use TOW nipples and Rem.#11. TOW says they are made for CCI #11's but haven't tried them. The Rem. #11's have worked flawlessly, knock on wood!

I have not heard of TOW nipples. Where can you buy them? Thanks, DC

32 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

Track of the Wolf I believe       GW

11 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

Track of the Wolf

https://www.trackofthewolf.com

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=nipples

Archived