SASS Wire Forum

My Discover card got hacked! UPDATE

Rye Miles #13621

I noticed a charge for NetFlix on my Discover card, I don't have NetFlix and never did! It was for $8.99, I cancelled the card and they're sending me a new one. There was also a inquiry from Spotify, which I also NEVER used! No charge they were just checking to see if the card was active! Sons of &*^%$#@:angry:

They start with a small charge that you may overlook so my advice is check your credit card statements with a fine tooth comb!!

So they credited my account for the $8,99 charge and sending a new card.

Had that happen a few years ago.

Last week my email was hacked. Changed a crap load of passwords after that. Hard to know how or where it happened, there have been so many breeches at large  companies. 

I get messages, on my land line, about every other day telling me my Discover card account information has been compromised.

Oh Nooooooo!

Wait.  I don't have a Discover card.  Secure from panic stations.

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Don't worry Rye. My wife does check my card with a fine tooth comb!

Looking to see if you bought your girlfriend flowers?

Luckily my wife reviews our credit card bills with a fine tooth comb as well…sometimes this is not a good thing…:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Looking to see if you bought your girlfriend flowers?

Oh HELL NO.  One woman is enuf fer me! 

I got an alert from Discover when I charged a carbine mag from Numrich

Oddly enough,  I didn’t get one when I charged an arm and a gonad for the carbine itself from Midway. :rolleyes:

Years ago I was at a shoot out in the middle of Florida. No cell service. When Ieft 2 days later and stopped for gas my MasterCard didn’t work. Fortunately I had enough cash left. I called home and Carol told me MasterCard had called about a bogus charge so they kilt put a hold on it. 
I called them up. “You’re not in France are you?”, they asked. :lol: Nope. Never been. “Okay, we fingered. So we’ll be sending you a new card today”.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, my bank called me asking if I was just in Bakersfield buying a LOT of booze at a liquor store.  When I said no, they told me they have killed my card and a new one would be in the mail.  I'm glad they watch for odd charges, but sometimes it bites me in the butt.  I was in an airport (denver if I recall correctly), trying to get lunch on a layover and my card wouldn't go thru.  So I paid cash and a few minutes later the bank called me to see if I was trying to buy food in Denver.  The took the hold off my card and I was good to go... but I need to remember that if I am taking a trip I need to call the bank and let them know.

I got a VISA card hacked back in April.  They were testing the card by using Doordash.  Since I've never used Doordash and don't often hang out in California, this was a clue to the credit card watching software.   They sent me a text asking if this was my charge.  When I replied No, they immediately cancelled the card.  Sent me a new one about a week later.  The charge never showed up on my bill.  

Many years ago I was on a long one day M/C ride. I could get about 150 miles on a tank so I had to stop well before that due to a sparsity of gas stations on my ride. As I neared the end, my Discover card wouldn't work at the gas station! When I got home, I called Discover and they informed me that they put a hold on my card due to a number of small charges spread over a wide area! Once I told them what I was doing, they cancelled the hold and it never happened again.

On the other hand, I have probably had 8 - 10 credit cards reissued over time due to fraudulent charges.:angry:

I had a Cabelas Visa card hacked a few years ago, 2K worth of “Energy drinks”!!! I canceled the card, refused to pay and told them to take me to court. They stopped bothering me after a few notices that i ignored. The thing that ticked me off is they didn’t believe me! :angry:

• Rye Miles #13621 changed the title to My Discover card got hacked! UPDATE

I've had a card or two that got turned off while on travel.  I always carry two cards. 1 credit only and one credit/debit. If one gets shut off the other will get me home when used as a debit card.

16 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, my bank called me asking if I was just in Bakersfield buying a LOT of booze at a liquor store.  When I said no, they told me they have killed my card and a new one would be in the mail.  I'm glad they watch for odd charges, but sometimes it bites me in the butt.  I was in an airport (denver if I recall correctly), trying to get lunch on a layover and my card wouldn't go thru.  So I paid cash and a few minutes later the bank called me to see if I was trying to buy food in Denver.  The took the hold off my card and I was good to go... but I need to remember that if I am taking a trip I need to call the bank and let them know.

Yup.

I do the same.

I tell them the states I am planning on using the card in...also include a few states from vendors I may be buying from.

47 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We only have the bank card...I am not a fan of credit cards.

People that are afraid, or "not a fan" of credit cards are most often people that don't use them to correct way.

Buy whatever you like on the card, and then when the statement comes at the end of the month, pay it off in full. You never pay any interest charges. You never pay any late charges. And you have the credit card's protection.

Several times I have called the credit card company and I have told them that I did not make such and such a purchase. That I did not authorize such a charge. Every single time, without exception, they took it off. They killed my card and issued me a new number.

I went down to the bank one time. The account had a zero balance. Suddenly there was a $10 charge on it, which the bank paid, and they charged me a $30 courtesy pay for paying that charge to an account that had no money. I went down to the bank and I told them that I had not authorized such a charge, and that they needed to get their money back. The doofus in customer service told me that the company in question had my card number, therefore the bank paid it. I asked if, while I was sitting there telling this moron that it was an unauthorized charge, the same company ran the number again, {a gift} AGAINST an account which now had a negative $40 balance, would they pay it. He said they would.

I do not have any bank cards. They get you in trouble. Because the banks are so helpful with their courtesy pay BS, and their fee for the courtesy pay.

When they first came out with check cards (hich is what they first called debit cards) they said that when the point of sale ran the card, if there was not enough money in the account to cover it it would be refused. But that's not what they do now. They pay it and charge you a fee of between 25 and $50.

The bank in my example would not let me close the account because it had a negative $40 balance. But I canceled the card, and I left the bank and never went back. They sent me dunning notices for several months about the $40. I never paid it.

49 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We only have the bank card...I am not a fan of credit cards.

By Bank card I assume you mean a debit card? That's the worse card you can use. Banks have a limit on what they'll cover if you get hacked. Credit cards are much safer! Pay it off every month and you even get cash back!;)

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

When they first came out with check cards, which is what they first called debit cards, they said that when the point of sale ran the card, if there was not enough money in the account to cover it it would be refused. But that's not what they do now. They pay it and charge you a fee of between 25 and $50.

The bank in my example would not let me close the account because it had a negative $40 balance. But I canceled the card, and I left the bank and never went back. They sent me dunning notices for several months about the $40. I never paid it.

My debit card won't work if there aren't funds on account to cover the purchase. Kind of a PITA sometimes - I once went through the drive through, deposited a million dollars or somesuch, then on the way home, remembered I had to get a money order on the way to someone for a gun. I stopped in the next town, and tried to use my debit card, but it was declined for insufficient funds... apparently the deposit isn't actually "run" til after hours, YET, I was able to drive the few miles back to my bank, go through the drive through, and write out a personal check for cash, then back to the post office again. Go figure.

49 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

By Bank card I assume you mean a debit card? That's the worse card you can use. Banks have a limit on what they'll cover if you get hacked. Credit cards are much safer! Pay it off every month and you even get cash back!;)

I have had no issue with ours. Call when suspicious things come in. Have 100% refunded the 2 times in 20 years we had unauthorized charges.

Guess we have been lucky.

56 minutes ago, Alpo said:

People that are afraid, or "not a fan" of credit cards are most often people that don't use them to correct way.

Buy whatever you like on the card, and then when the statement comes at the end of the month, pay it off in full. You never pay any interest charges. You never pay any late charges. And you have the credit card's protection.

Several times I have called the credit card company and I have told them that I did not make such and such a purchase. That I did not authorize such a charge. Every single time, without exception, they took it off. They killed my card and issued me a new number.

I went down to the bank one time. The account had a zero balance. Suddenly there was a $10 charge on it, which the bank paid, and they charged me a $30 courtesy pay for paying that charge to an account that had no money. I went down to the bank and I told them that I had not authorized such a charge, and that they needed to get their money back. The doofus in customer service told me that the company in question had my card number, therefore the bank paid it. I asked if, while I was sitting there telling this moron that it was an unauthorized charge, the same company ran the number again, {a gift} AGAINST an account which now had a negative $40 balance, would they pay it. He said they would.

I do not have any bank cards. They get you in trouble. Because the banks are so helpful with their courtesy pay BS, and their fee for the courtesy pay.

When they first came out with check cards (hich is what they first called debit cards) they said that when the point of sale ran the card, if there was not enough money in the account to cover it it would be refused. But that's not what they do now. They pay it and charge you a fee of between 25 and $50.

Change in phrasing:

We don't use CC's.

Debit card has never been an issue...

I suppose it depends on how, what and where you spend.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Change in phrasing:

We don't use CC's.

Debit card has never been an issue...

I suppose it depends on how, what and where you spend.

I’m saying if your debit card gets hacked you don’t have a lot of protection, they can drain your whole account. Credit cards back you u and remove any charges. I use my debit card for the ATM only and it’s almost always to deposit because I get a lot of checks for my small business.

Archived