SASS Wire Forum

120 year old Colt update, now with photos.

Pulp, SASS#28319

Yesterday a member of my wife’s side of the family showed me a gun he found in a barn.  Colt SAA, serial # 205xxx, which puts it back to 1901.  It wouldn’t go to half cock with the cylinder in it, but take the cylinder out and it do all four clicks.  I took it apart today, cleaned it up real good, now it works!  My internet is not working good enough for pictures but will post some when I can.

Modern replicas (at least mine) don't have this screw in the frame (first picture).  I didn't remove it, as I don't know what it is.  Any suggestions?  Barrel is pitted, but I can't hold the gun and focus a camera down the barrel at the same time.  Not horrible, but still pitted.

IMG_0887 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0888 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0893 (800x533).jpg

While waiting for pics, here's a 1902 .41 Colt that I acquired from an estate.
It had been used by the previous owner for CAS on occasion:

COLT .41 (R).jpeg

COLT .41 (L).jpeg

• Pulp, SASS#28319 changed the title to 120 year old Colt update, now with photos.

Howdy

Never seen a black plastic gun that compares.

Old guns are the best.

Now I gotta go wirng out the drool towel.

Best

CR

9 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Modern replicas (at least mine) don't have this screw in the frame (first picture).  

It's a set screw with spring and plunger that holds the loading gate in and provides a detent to hold it open and closed.  I've never seen a Colt or Colt copy without one.  Don't know about Rooogers.

P.S.  I wouldn't do anything to it.  It looks to have a fair amount of original finish.  Any sanding, steel wool, etc could reduce it's collector value.  

Bill Fuchs at Spring Creek Armory can do a professional clean up and repairs needed. 

https://springcreekarmory.com/

I love these old Colts.  I have two SAA’s chambered in .45 Colt. One was made in 1896 and one was made in 1900. I also have one Frontier Six Shooter made in 1900 chambered in .44-40.

152133AD-2EB0-4A39-A202-F656E4900B62.jpeg

1D5F4617-6441-4936-B0D8-3CD6D20C56B9.jpeg

01791405-BFA2-491E-9CFF-0EEB5CF9F5DA.jpeg

Archived