SASS Wire Forum

Geeze. Facebook commandos

Utah Bob #35998

Just had a guy tell he was Army 64-71. And used an M1 Garand, M14, and an M1A1 Brush Rifle, after misidentifying my carbine as a Garand.

Another guy swore his basic training M1 was made by Royal Typewriter. Arrogant.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Just had a guy tell he was Army 64-71. And used an M1 Garand, M14, and an M1A1 Brush Rifle, after misidentifying my carbine as a Garand.

Another guy swore his basic training M1 was made by Royal Typewriter. Arrogant.

Shanley gets into a battle of wits with some of those nits!!!

I told the one guy that I never heard of an MIAI Brush Rifle and just posted a list of Garand manufacturers for the other one. :wacko:

But I don’t argue with people. I just move on. Life is too short.

I see I am not the only one that encounters those “special” people. 

I used to try and correct them. I don’t even bother any more. 

My favorite was the guy I met in church up in Oregon that was an Army Sniper in Bosnia - Herzegovina.  He was my age, actually a year younger. Joined the Army at 19. Same year I joined the Navy, 1979. Did a 6 year hitch. Somehow during Culinary School it was recognized that he was a crack shot and he was sent to sniper school. :rolleyes:

Anyway, apparently the US involvement in Bosnia happened in the early 80’s, not the 90’s as we were told by the media. 
This Army CS had 20 confirmed sniper kills in Bosnia…:blink:

Anyway, I took him shooting one day. 
He removed all the skin from his left thumb knuckle because he wouldn’t listen to my recommendations on how to hold my Glock. 
He couldn’t figure out why he kept hitting in front of the clays I set up as pistol target with the AR-15s. The targets were at 10 -25 yards. Even though my ARs were zeroed at 100 yards he couldn’t hit paper on a 36x24 inch target at 100 yards. 
He could not understand the concept of bullet drop when shooting at small metal targets I had at 200 yards. 
It was quite a day. 
On the way home I told him that I knew he wasn’t a sniper but I didn’t mention that Bosnia happened a few years after he got out of the Army. 
Sheesh!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I see I am not the only one that encounters those “special” people. 

I used to try and correct them. I don’t even bother any more. 

My favorite was the guy I met in church up in Oregon that was an Army Sniper in Bosnia - Herzegovina.  He was my age, actually a year younger. Joined the Army at 19. Same year I joined the Navy, 1979. Did a 6 year hitch. Somehow during Culinary School it was recognized that he was a crack shot and he was sent to sniper school. :rolleyes:

Anyway, apparently the US involvement in Bosnia happened in the early 80’s, not the 90’s as we were told by the media. 
This Army CS had 20 confirmed sniper kills in Bosnia…:blink:

Anyway, I took him shooting one day. 
He removed all the skin from his left thumb knuckle because he wouldn’t listen to my recommendations on how to hold my Glock. 
He couldn’t figure out why he kept hitting in front of the clays I set up as pistol target with the AR-15s. The targets were at 10 -25 yards. Even though my ARs were zeroed at 100 yards he couldn’t hit paper on a 36x24 inch target at 100 yards. 
He could not understand the concept of bullet drop when shooting at small metal targets I had at 200 yards. 
It was quite a day. 
On the way home I told him that I knew he wasn’t a sniper but I didn’t mention that Bosnia happened a few years after he got out of the Army. 
Sheesh!

I’ve run into those types from time to time. I’m thinking some of them never served at all.

My wife was a real estate closer and whenever she noticed someone’s military service, to make conversation, she’d ask what they did. Many of them claimed to be snipers, special ops, personal guards to POTUS, etc and were all too happy to tell, without prompting, their glorious and heroic tales. 

I encountered one in the M/C world a number of years ago. This was when the first major attempt at an "Indian Motocycle" (yes, no "r") comeback was attempted in the late 90's - early 2000's. 

I was at a local biker hangout (Cook's Corner - Pat, you know the place) when the "expert" was badmouthing my Indian as not being as good as the originals and how bad the new ones were. After he was finished telling his buddies how bad my Indian was, I casually mentioned to him and his buddies that this was an original 1946 Indian, not one of the new ones. He shut up very quickly and departed Cook's with his tail between his legs!:D

15 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I encountered one in the M/C world a number of years ago. This was when the first major attempt at an "Indian Motocycle" (yes, no "r") comeback was attempted in the late 90's - early 2000's. 

I was at a local biker hangout (Cook's Corner - Pat, you know the place) when the "expert" was badmouthing my Indian as not being as good as the originals and how bad the new ones were. After he was finished telling his buddies how bad my Indian was, I casually mentioned to him and his buddies that this was an original 1946 Indian, not one of the new ones. He shut up very quickly and departed Cook's with his tail between his legs!:D

Reminds me of sitting at the curb in front of the Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville one pretty summer afternoon. This guy wearing chaps, the obligatory “Harley” T-shirt, fancy new “biker” boots, and with a cute little lady hanging on his every word, pointed at my old Shovelhead and said to his companion, “another Fatboy!”

I laughed out loud and she looked at me funny. “No! Honey!” I chucked, “It ain’t a Fatboy!”  She looked at him skeptically. I pointed to myself, “This is a fat boy!  That motorcycle is older than your boyfriend was around fifteen years before they made the first Fatboy!!”

He said something about me being a smartassed old (expletive deleted) and his girlfriend was still laughing at him when they turned the corner at the next cross street!

I’ve used that line several times!  Mostly in good natured conversations. For him, I just felt like he needed a little taking down.

Several of my riding pards are legit military.  I don’t pretend to have ever served and I get along well, keeping myself out of their conversations except for the occasional question.

I DO get a kick out of their exposing posers! When they do, they’re merciless!!

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I was at a local biker hangout (Cook's Corner - Pat, you know the place)

Indeed I do. I like that place. I was there in January before my accident. 

Motorcycle posers are a riot too. Encountered a few of those in my time. 

I love it when people try to rub me the wrong way for riding “a Jap bike”. I smile and say “It’s not a Japanese motorcycle. It was made in Thailand.” Then I just walk away. ;)

I was leaving Fort Leavenworth, Kansas one afternoon (I was on the OUTSIDE of the bars), and stopped at a gas station just outside the main gate.  There was a somewhat older guy panhandling outside.  Normally I don't give these guys the time of day, and I certainly would never give them cash.  But everybody has to eat, and I'm not above buying them some food. 

Anyway, even though I wasn't in uniform it's pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that I'm military; plus, he had literally watched me drive off post.  So this guy, who happened to be wearing a veteran hat with a Combat Infantryman Badge with two stars (meaning infantry service in THREE wars -- one for the badge and one additional for each star), struck up a conversation with me about his service.  I knew he was full of crap because he told me about the TWO wars he had served in.  Being a non-veteran, he assumed the two stars on the CIB meant service in two wars, but it means three.  So I knew right away he was full of crap.

You know what?  I went inside and bought him a sandwich, chips, and a soda because he still needed to eat.  I never told him I knew he was a liar; I just gave him the food and left. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Indeed I do. I like that place. I was there in January before my accident. 

Motorcycle posers are a riot too. Encountered a few of those in my time. 

I love it when people try to rub me the wrong way for riding “a Jap bike”. I smile and say “It’s not a Japanese motorcycle. It was made in Thailand.” Then I just walk away. ;)

Years ago a buddy of mine got the Harley itch pretty fierce. He went through a couple Harleys in rapid succession. Harley this, Harley that... buy American, Jap bikes SUCK... gotta wear all black everything... helmets are for wussies... all that noise. One night at work (we worked same shift together) I saw him looking through a Kuryakyn motorcycle parts catalog and ordering aftermarket Kuryakyn parys for his Harley. I had to ask why, if his big American made Harley is so awesome, is he ordering Japanese replacement parts for it? :D It was my turn to ride him for awhile. He never had an answer and quieted down a bit after that. It was kinda fun seeing the wind go out of his all black leather Harley sock. ;)

As for me, I used to buy American made parts and put them on my Japanese bike. Most of the aftermarket stuff for my KLR650 was indeed home grown.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s not a Japanese motorcycle. It was made in Thailand.”

That means it's still all right to call it a rice burner, right? B)

I liked the guy that told me during his time in Special Forces they used to do their training jumps from 70,000 feet.

I never got quite that high.

Clearly this fella was used to getting VERY high.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

That means it's still all right to call it a rice burner, right? B)

You can call it whatever you like. 

I call it a “motorcycle”. ;)

I treat everyone that rides a two or three wheel machine with respect, unless they prove they don’t deserve it. I wave as I pass by other folks on bikes and I don’t look down my nose at people’s choice of rides. Be it a scooter or a Can Am “trike”. 

There’s too much of that petty bias these days. I am pretty sick of it. 
Oh sure, it’s fun to bust somebody’s chops over their ride or their choice of guns in having fun with them, but some folks take it too seriously. 

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Years ago a buddy of mine got the Harley itch pretty fierce. He went through a couple Harleys in rapid succession. Harley this, Harley that... buy American, Jap bikes SUCK... gotta wear all black everything... helmets are for wussies... all that noise. One night at work (we worked same shift together) I saw him looking through a Kuryakyn motorcycle parts catalog and ordering aftermarket Kuryakyn parys for his Harley. I had to ask why, if his big American made Harley is so awesome, is he ordering Japanese replacement parts for it? :D It was my turn to ride him for awhile. He never had an answer and quieted down a bit after that. It was kinda fun seeing the wind go out of his all black leather Harley sock. ;)

As for me, I used to buy American made parts and put them on my Japanese bike. Most of the aftermarket stuff for my KLR650 was indeed home grown.

I knew a guy in Oregon that drove a Jeep, but traded it in on a Toyota Tundra. He also wanted a motorcycle but had never ridden one. He took a riding course at the Community College, borrowed a friend’s bike and got a motorcycle license. 
For his very first street bike he bought a Harley Davidson. It was either a Road Glide or a Street Glide. It was flat black, Racing Black is what we used to call it. I was surprised that someone that had literally never ridden a bike bought such a big expensive motorcycle. 
Anyway, over night he became a “biker”. His entire wardrobe changed. I do believe he bought every article of clothing Harley sold in his size. He sold his “Jap truck” and bought a Dodge truck. This bike newbie started making funny comments about my “rice burner wannabe Harley”. I had a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT ( Loved that bike, by the way).

Anyway, I just laughed it off. 
One day he came to work with a big box of Screaming Eagle parts and accessories for his bike. On his break he was reading through the installation instructions. He had new “better” footboards, rear footboards, highway pegs, air cleaner cover, oil tank filler cap and a few other things. He commented that the box had $1200 worth of add ons. His Dad gave them to him for his birthday. 
He had been  complaining about cars getting too close to him on the road and I was telling him he needed some more lights on his bike when I looked over and noticed that one of the Screaming Eagle boxes said “Made in Taiwan” on it. I pointed it out to him. Without looking at the box he looked me dead in the eye and said “Go to hell…quit (fooling) with me!” Only he used another “F” word. 
I said “Look” and handed him the box. Then he looked at all the boxes. Every one of them said “Made in Taiwan” except for one. It was made in USA. He had about 8 or 9 boxes. 
He was furious. He called the Harley dealer and raised holy heck with them but in the end installed the parts. 
The funny thing is, he blamed me for his bitterness against his new god. 

He came into work one day and said “I am scared to death riding this bike.” I told him that a scared rider should not be riding. He talked with all his riding buddies and they all agreed with me. He sold the bike. The man couldn’t maneuver that bike bike and he was convinced he was going to die on it. I think he made the right choice. 

When my GF was learning to ride in 2001, she bought a Honda Rebel 250. This was a small Harley-ish looking M/C. 

One cool fall day just for fun, we decided to ride two up on the Honda to the local biker hangout (the aforementioned Cook's Corner). We were fully dressed in leathers; jackets, chaps and gloves. We rode in and parked the Rebel right in front amidst all the H-D's. You would not believe the stares, glares and sneers we received from a lot of the newbies. To me it was hilarious. There were quite a few members of our M/C group there who knew us and what the deal was with the Rebel so we joined them. They also thought the situation was very funny. I guess that after the newbies saw who we were with, they reassessed the situation and reluctantly accepted the Honda that was parked amongst their fancy bikes.:rolleyes:

On 6/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

So this guy, who happened to be wearing a veteran hat with a Combat Infantryman Badge with two stars (meaning infantry service in THREE wars -- one for the badge and one additional for each star), struck up a conversation with me about his service.  I knew he was full of crap because he told me about the TWO wars he had served in.  Being a non-veteran, he assumed the two stars on the CIB meant service in two wars, but it means three.  So I knew right away he was full of crap.

You know what?  I went inside and bought him a sandwich, chips, and a soda because he still needed to eat.  I never told him I knew he was a liar; I just gave him the food and left. 

As an aside, I did a little research on the two star CIB back in 2015, and discovered it is one of the rarest, perhaps even the rarest, of military decorations ever to be awarded - some ten times less common than the MOH even, with only 324 or 325 ever awarded. The three star CIB exists, but has never been awarded, due to the four wars where a CIB can be earned are 56 years apart.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

When my GF was learning to ride in 2001, she bought a Honda Rebel 250. This was a small Harley-ish looking M/C. 

One cool fall day just for fun, we decided to ride two up on the Honda to the local biker hangout (the aforementioned Cook's Corner). We were fully dressed in leathers; jackets, chaps and gloves. We rode in and parked the Rebel right in front amidst all the H-D's. You would not believe the stares, glares and sneers we received from a lot of the newbies. To me it was hilarious. There were quite a few members of our M/C group there who knew us and what the deal was with the Rebel so we joined them. They also thought the situation was very funny. I guess that after the newbies saw who we were with, they reassessed the situation and reluctantly accepted the Honda that was parked amongst their fancy bikes.:rolleyes:

Priceless!

Sonny Barger, in his 2000 book "Hell's Angel," page 53:  

"It's always been important for Hell's Angels to ride American-made machines. In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say, "F*** Harley-Davidson. You can buy an ST1100 and the motherf***** will do 110 miles per hour right from the factory all day long ... While it's probably too late to switch over now, it would have been a nice move because Japanese bikes today are so much cheaper and better built. However, Japanese motorcycles don't have as much personality."

:rolleyes:

I used to work with a guy who was a gypsy.  He said the banditos had the same Harley only rule.  He bought a harley so he could ride with some bandito friends but he liked his jap bike much better.  Harley isn't the only american made bike though, is it? 

I've lost count of the guys who swore they were issued a Singer 1911 while in the military. How did they know it was a Singer? Because, duh, it said so right on the side, dummy.

Problem is, they did NOT say "Singer" on them and there are more idiots bragging that they carried one then there were Singer 1911s made. :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've lost count of the guys who swore they were issued a Singer 1911 while in the military. How did they know it was a Singer? Because, duh, it said so right on the side, dummy.

Problem is, they did NOT say "Singer" on them and there are more idiots bragging that they carried one then there were Singer 1911s made. :rolleyes:

All they had was an S. 

On 6/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I told the one guy that I never heard of an MIAI Brush Rifle and just posted a list of Garand manufacturers for the other one. :wacko:

But I don’t argue with people. I just move on. Life is too short.

96676317_3146064235413943_2312645069179453440_n.jpg

I'll relate two stories here;

(1) Some years ago, when I was between wives, I liked to hang around in the Country Bars. One such Friday, a gal I knew slightly and a friend of hers were in there, talking to a guy of about average build, sporting a buzz haircut. He said he was an Air Force pilot, and with Davis-Monthan AFB here in town, it didn't seem out of line... until he started telling the girls that he flew F-14s for the Air Force. 

When he went off to empty himself of some beer, I told them that the Air Force didn't fly F-14s, the Navy did. When he returned, and they confronted him with it, he got mad and left. Later, somebody who knew him heard the story, and told the girls that the buzz haircut was because he'd just got out of PRISON!!

(2) Around the same time frame, I had a Yamaha 650 Enduro that I ran around on, and often rode it to the bars. One night, a Biker was having a Birthday party in the bar, and there were leather jackets and cut denim as far as the eye could see. When I decided to go seek entertainment elsewhere, and went outside, the ONLY bike in the lot was my Yamaha!   

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

As an aside, I did a little research on the two star CIB back in 2015, and discovered it is one of the rarest, perhaps even the rarest, of military decorations ever to be awarded - some ten times less common than the MOH even, with only 324 or 325 ever awarded. The three star CIB exists, but has never been awarded, due to the four wars in which a CIB can be earned are 56 years apart.

Is there any way to positively determine if a guy served as a Marine without him knowing I inquired?    I have a neighbor that is very questionable as to some of his claims to be a Marine, a minister, an addiction counselor, a real estate agent, and on and on....He detests me as a retired LEO, and my wife as a Judge......   His wife stated that she doesn't know where he works!!     I know his ID Data, but don't want to cause more friction by him knowing I checked.....

18 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sonny Barger, in his 2000 book "Hell's Angel," page 53:  

:rolleyes:

Speaking of Sonny Barger and Japanese bikes. He gave our contractor a Honda Touring Bike. It was pretty nice. We got this contractor's name from our neighbor who was a former chapter president at "the club," as he called them.

6 hours ago, Gracos Kid said:

Is there any way to positively determine if a guy served as a Marine without him knowing I inquired?    I have a neighbor that is very questionable as to some of his claims to be a Marine, a minister, an addiction counselor, a real estate agent, and on and on....He detests me as a retired LEO, and my wife as a Judge......   His wife stated that she doesn't know where he works!!     I know his ID Data, but don't want to cause more friction by him knowing I checked.....

You can definitely a public records. It will only tell you if he served without giving any personnel information. Give the local recruiter a call. He may be glad to help or point you in the right direction.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

We had one on my ship. It was an Armory show piece when I first came aboard. Then we got a new Gunnery Chief. The Singer went into a special safe. I often helped out in the Armory, even though I was a “Missile puke” but the Chief liked me and I figured how to accurize most of the 1911s in the Armory. I also helped with inventory. 
We pulled into Guantanamo for shake down cruises for battle readiness. For weeks we pulled out every morning and pulled in every night. We also ran drills for everything. We demonstrated weapons handling. We shot missiles at drones, we fired out guns, got another Battle “E”. Yada, yada, yada

One day when I was going back to my launcher when we were in port I noticed a group of people were in the Armory. There was an inventory being performed. 
Bucholz, one of the GMG3’s saw me and said I needed to come back to the Armory to answer some questions. 
I went in and was questioned about my signature on the inventory sheets for each safe. I verified my signatures and that I had done the inventories a couple of months prior. The auditing officer then stepped over to the “special safe” that held the Singer and a few mint condition small arms that were never issued out. He asked if I ever did the inventory for that safe. I said that I did not and that the Chief took care of that. He asked if I would look at the inventory sheets anyway to see if my recollection of the safe contents matched the inventory sheets. 
That is when I noticed a certain tension emanating from the Chief and a couple of the GMG’s. I looked at the list and the space that should have had the Singer said “Colt”. There were only 6 guns in that safe normally. There were 6 guns in the safe at that moment. I looked at the Chief and his eyes said it all. He knew that I knew something was amiss. I weighed my options and decided that no good could come from me casting doubt on that audit or the Chief. 
I said “It all looks fine to me. Like I said, I never inventoried this safe but am familiar with it’s contents.” Then I laughed and said “The Chief’s kick our asses for messing with these guns. They’re in mint condition”

Everyone laughed and I was sent on my way. 
Later that day the Gunnery Chief visited me in my Missile launcher. Pretty sure that was the first time I ever saw him in there. He told me he owed me one without saying why. I asked him how he pulled it off and he just smiled and left. 
Life is pretty good aboard ship when you have a Chief that’ll back you up whenever it’s needed, even if he’s not your work center Chief. ;)

I still wonder about that Singer and where it is. And I know every GMG on my ship knew the Chief had somehow finagled getting that Singer. 
There were only 500 of those made. How one ended up on my ship is a mystery to me. 

I freely admit I didn't do anything special at all during my time in service.  I did what I was told, generally kept my mouth shut, learned morse code, and slept in a warm bunk after three hots every day. 

I'm pretty sure we had some old M-14s, some kind of 10 gauge shotguns, and old 1911s.  I do remember the long guns were really heavy and sentry duty on top of a sub sitting in the water next to a tender can be really uncomfortable.  That was about as bad as it got. 

Rambo lives up the street.  He drinks boiling water and pisses ice cubes.  He was one of the guys who pulled Saddam out of his hole.   Pretty sure he was part of the team who got Osama to.  He's a lot of fun to listen to.  Never understood how a guy with a beer belly that big could do all that stuff.<_<

Archived