SASS Wire Forum

New possible route to EOT...

Now...yes, NM to Denver and cut to 80E across to Maquoketa, Ia...is the same amount of time as here to Warsaw, In.

The detour will cost us about 6 hours on to Etna Greene, if we need to.

Otherwise, straight in to Etna will be same time/miles, give or take a few.

Leaving Friday and will be hitting I-80 from I-35 at Des Moines, Iowa and will take it across to shoot a cowboy match on Sunday near Milan/Molin, IL. Then I-80 across and exit onto 30 about New Lenox, IL and take 30 to Etna Green/Warsaw, IN.  I am actually staying in Goshen, IN but taking 30 has me miss the toll road and construction on I-80 south and east of Chicago.  Will be at EOT Monday.

Scout

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Okay, so pretty well decided we were going to go across Kansas and up Champagne way to EOT.

Now, we may have a detour for family via Maquoketa, IA...

So, how many have come across I-80?

'Bout a half century ago, but I can't vouch for an inch of it now. :P Good luck. :D

The I-80 route is usually very hectic south of Chicago and in the Gary, IN area.  A large number of trucks of all descriptions, and any number of people in a much bigger hurry than the posted speed limit - and the traffic flow - suggests.  Typical "big city" driving conditions.

The U.S. 30 route is much slower, travelling through mostly built-up areas with a LOT of traffic lights until you get past Merrillville, IN, which makes it a good bit of a pain if you are towing a camper.  The road surface in the Chicago Heights and Ford Heights area has been very rough in the past, and the traffic lanes on the narrow side... at least that's the way it was in 2020.  I towed our 5th wheel that way, once...

CS

16 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Leaving Friday and will be hitting I-80 from I-35 at Des Moines, Iowa and will take it across to shoot a cowboy match on Sunday near Milan/Molin, IL. Then I-80 across and exit onto 30 about New Lenox, IL and take 30 to Etna Green/Warsaw, IN.  I am actually staying in Goshen, IN but taking 30 has me miss the toll road and construction on I-80 south and east of Chicago.  Will be at EOT Monday.

Scout

Construction on I-80???

Hmmmm....

Actually, think we will come in below that if we come from Maquoketa?

11 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

The I-80 route is usually very hectic south of Chicago and in the Gary, IN area.  A large number of trucks of all descriptions, and any number of people in a much bigger hurry than the posted speed limit - and the traffic flow - suggests.  Typical "big city" driving conditions.

The U.S. 30 route is much slower, travelling through mostly built-up areas with a LOT of traffic lights until you get past Merrillville, IN, which makes it a good bit of a pain if you are towing a camper.  The road surface in the Chicago Heights and Ford Heights area has been very rough in the past, and the traffic lanes on the narrow side... at least that's the way it was in 2020.  I towed our 5th wheel that way, once...

CS

Let me look again.

We will only come that Northern route if we go to Maquoketa...

Even still, I believe we get off 80 and come across on a lesser route to Etna Green.

Thanks for the heads up...as we are hauling the 5th wheel.

To anyone thinking of coming  across I-40 or I-55 avoid Memphis if you can at all. With the main bridge out, it took us 2 1/2 hours to cover 10 miles there yesterday.

37 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

To anyone thinking of coming  across I-40 or I-55 avoid Memphis if you can at all. With the main bridge out, it took us 2 1/2 hours to cover 10 miles there yesterday.

I-40 has long construction delays from Az on East...several spots!

Hi,

You do not want to use RT 52. I believe this is a RR underpass you barely can get under with a 5-th wheel. RT 52 runs thru downtown Joliet and you don't want to take a car or anything else thru there.I moved out of there  6 years ago and it is not any better now.   Your best bet depending on the time of day is to just take 80 east until you come to where 90, 80, and 94 merge and follow 80/90 east to Rt 421 and go south to RT 30. You have to pay a couple tolls to get across on this route as 80 becomes a toll road on the south end of Chicago and 80/90 is a toll road in Indiana.

If you don't have an I-pass in Illinois/ Indiana, you can go thru the tolls and then pay them later online as they have do away with the cash payments for most toll roads around Chicago. If you have any type of electronic toll pass, it might work, you would have to check.

If you come across I70 thru Missouri, there is a western store I would visit about 60 mile east of Kansas City, And when you get to St Louis, take I270 north to avoid going thru the city. If you want to see the Arch, take I-70 downtown and it is not bad to go thru downtown between morning and evening rush hour. Buy gas before you hit Illinois as it is $.10 to $.30/gal higher in Illinois normally. I usually check Gasbuddy  https://www.gasbuddy.com/home when I am traveling.

If you want to avoid Chicago completely and the toll roads, come across on I80 and when you get to I39, go south to RT 24 (El Paso, IL) and go east to Indiana. You can follow 24  to Logansport, IN and then go north on Rt 25 to rt 30. I drove most of 24 in Illinois a couple weeks ago and it was a good road.

Good Luck and have a safe trip.

16 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Hi,

You do not want to use RT 52. I believe this is a RR underpass you barely can get under with a 5-th wheel. RT 52 runs thru downtown Joliet and you don't want to take a car or anything else thru there.I moved out of there  6 years ago and it is not any better now.   Your best bet depending on the time of day is to just take 80 east until you come to where 90, 80, and 94 merge and follow 80/90 east to Rt 421 and go south to RT 30. You have to pay a couple tolls to get across on this route as 80 becomes a toll road on the south end of Chicago and 80/90 is a toll road in Indiana.

If you don't have an I-pass in Illinois/ Indiana, you can go thru the tolls and then pay them later online as they have do away with the cash payments for most toll roads around Chicago. If you have any type of electronic toll pass, it might work, you would have to check.

If you come across I70 thru Missouri, there is a western store I would visit about 60 mile east of Kansas City, And when you get to St Louis, take I270 north to avoid going thru the city. If you want to see the Arch, take I-70 downtown and it is not bad to go thru downtown between morning and evening rush hour. Buy gas before you hit Illinois as it is $.10 to $.30/gal higher in Illinois normally. I usually check Gasbuddy  https://www.gasbuddy.com/home when I am traveling.

If you want to avoid Chicago completely and the toll roads, come across on I80 and when you get to I39, go south to RT 24 (El Paso, IL) and go east to Indiana. You can follow 24  to Logansport, IN and then go north on Rt 25 to rt 30. I drove most of 24 in Illinois a couple weeks ago and it was a good road.

What does hopping off I-80 at New Lenox onto 30 ?

5th wheel is just under 12' height.

22 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Hi,

The Western store is Kleinschmidt's Western Store, at I-70 and Route 13, the Higginsville, Missouri exit.

If you are coming from the Southwest, rather than taking I-25 North to Denver, take I-40 to Tucumcari, New Mexico, exit onto US 54 and take 54 to Wichita, where you can pick up I-35 to Kansas City and then follow I-435 to I-470 to I-70. 

The traffic from Colorado Springs thru Denver on I-25 is usually a true pain.  You can take two lane US 24, a hypotenuse from Colorado Springs to Limon, Colorado; however, it is not the best road, especially if you are towing.

If coming from the Northwest I-80 is a sound choice.

33 minutes ago, Parson Remington said:

The Western store is Kleinschmidt's Western Store, at I-70 and Route 13, the Higginsville, Missouri exit.

If you are coming from the Southwest, rather than taking I-25 North to Denver, take I-40 to Tucumcari, New Mexico, exit onto US 54 and take 54 to Wichita, where you can pick up I-35 to Kansas City and then follow I-435 to I-470 to I-70. 

The traffic from Colorado Springs thru Denver on I-25 is usually a true pain.  You can take two lane US 24, a hypotenuse from Colorado Springs to Limon, Colorado; however, it is not the best road, especially if you are towing.

If coming from the Northwest I-80 is a sound choice.

Yes, Thanks...we are staying Southernish...54, 35, up to 80E to be in Maquoketa, IA for a funeral...then playing it safe and dropping down to 24 from there and on to Etna Green.

Safe trip all...and thank you all for the help!!!

20 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Route to EOT to avoid Chicago

eot map.JPG

Thanks Maddog, after looking at hwy 30 some more I am going to take your suggested route down to 24 like Singin Sue.

Scout

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I'm leaving on Sunday, going south on 94/90 from MN overnighting in Janesville, WI.  Monday going south to LaSalle on 80, and then 30 at New Lenox.  I don't want to do 30, but any further south adds miles. 

Have a safe trip.

9 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I'm leaving on Sunday, going south on 94/90 from MN overnighting in Janesville, WI.  Monday going south to LaSalle on 80, and then 30 at New Lenox.  I don't want to do 30, but any further south adds miles. 

Adds miles, yes...but only about an hour time.

We somehow missed getting off on our side detour to stay away from Wichita, and Kansas City was a mess...

We added more time from construction and the traffic than ever imagined!!!

13 hour day yesterday, instead of 10...

And had a close call on four lanes of bumper to bumper 'shut down' in the middle of Kansas City traffic! Of course, I had to be driving at the time.

5th wheels don't like stopping anymore than a semi does.

Archived