SASS Wire Forum

Summertime shooting

Hoss

Shot this past Saturday in S Texas. It was hotter than a jug full of red ants! By the 6th stage I was whooped, and dehydrated. I try to make a practice of drinking a Gatorade before shooting in the morning, then at least one bottle of water per stage. Got the Gatorade drank, but only 3 bottles of water. In reality, I should have skipped stage 6, but Pride is a terrible thing!  Made it thru the match, and home ok, but got a reminder to drink lots of water. Once you are “thirsty” it’s probably too late!

I saw this article today. Can’t properly cite it, but certainly makes sense. 

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, Physician:

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question: What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumors in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

uncontrolled diabetes

urinary infection

"dehydration"

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 60 generally stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids. When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This habit of forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 60, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 60 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion:

People over 60 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 60 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts:

1) Get into the habit of drinking liquids. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups, and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple; Orange and tangerine also work. The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2) Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 60. At the same time, observe them. If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.

Inspired to drink more water now?? Send this information out to others! DO IT NOW! Your friends and family need to know for themselves and help you to be healthier and happier.

It's good to share! *For people over 60*

Note: Although younger than 60, quarterback Tom Brady's emphasis on maintaining his ability to play sports at the highest level, youthful appearance and abilities is "primarily" attributed to being completely hydrated at all times.

The wife and I try to drink plenty of fluids but we also take electrolyte capsules.  At least one before the match starts, another at the halfway point and another after the match is over.  We have both noticed an improvement in physical energy and mental awareness towards the end of the match and afterwards on the drive home.

This is what we use:
GU Energy Roctane Ultra Endurance Electrolyte Capsules, 50-Count Bottle

8 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

The wife and I try to drink plenty of fluids but we also take electrolyte capsules.  At least one before the match starts, another at the halfway point and another after the match is over.  We have both noticed an improvement in physical energy and mental awareness towards the end of the match and afterwards on the drive home.

This is what we use:
GU Energy Roctane Ultra Endurance Electrolyte Capsules, 50-Count Bottle

I’ll try some! 

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ll try some! 

Please let me know your results if you do.  Currently only a sample size of two...

thanks , im a decade + past 60 and i know i dont drink enough water , i try to remember but as stated you dont feel thirsty , ill be more diligent at shoots to take advantage od whats offered and see that im carrying my own as well , AND DRINK IT 

Archived