SASS Wire Forum

Who would eat this stuff?????

Surstromming is a lightly salted, fermented Baltic Sea herring traditional to Swedish cuisine. During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while it ferments. A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world. Since gaining notoriety as one of the world's smelliest foods, surströmming has become the focus of a number of "challenge" videos on YouTube. People themselves opening a can for the first time, usually to a visceral reaction, and then try to eat the fish without any additional preparation. Often the videos show the participants gagging, swearing, holding their nose, or throwing up.

Bottles, a round of surströmming for the house! Put it on my tab.

images.jpg

26 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Surstromming is a lightly salted, fermented Baltic Sea herring traditional to Swedish cuisine. During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while it ferments. A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world. Since gaining notoriety as one of the world's smelliest foods, surströmming has become the focus of a number of "challenge" videos on YouTube. People themselves opening a can for the first time, usually to a visceral reaction, and then try to eat the fish without any additional preparation. Often the videos show the participants gagging, swearing, holding their nose, or throwing up.

Bottles, a round of surströmming for the house! Put it on my tab.

images.jpg

Uhm....no!!!

Holy cow! I recognize that can. When I worked for a German company nearly 10 years ago someone gave me a can of those to try. A Finnish fellow that was working on a project with me told me he thought the guy that gave them to me was playing a prank on me as that fish was the worst smelling thing ever. I took his word for it and chucked it. The wise guy German who gave it to me asked me how I liked it. I told him I gave it to a Lutheran Church food drive (he was Lutheran). He tensed up and walked away and never said a word. :lol:

I didn’t realize it was that bad. I just took the Finn’s word for it. 

4 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

just slap some vegamite on it , 

it will eather cure what ailes ya , or kill ya flat out 

......... as good as Vegemite is ......    no!!!!!!!   :wacko:

I'd rather take a beating, and be forced to go to wally-world every day, for the rest of my life, than to eat that. 

I think my mouth would refuse to open to allow me to try that, even if I wanted to.

But...hey...that's just me....

If you like this s...tuff...hey...more power to you. If it doesn't make you throw up, I will be happy to throw up for you. :blink:

It must have a decent following, otherwise it wouldn't be mass produced like that.  
It seems no worse than some of the stuff Asians eat.  Like those little candied crabs.  Tried one once. Tasted it for two days.

I have a theory about the Viking Age.

They weren't looking for plunder or land.  They were hunting a decent meal after growing up eating stuff like lutefisk, hakarl and surstromming.

Considering that they found English food so appetizing that they took over half the country, it says a lot about ancient Scandihoovian cuisine.:huh:

theres a lot of stuff im not gonna eat from almost any culture on earth , but i might consider some cause ive found there are a lot that i really enjoy , gotta try it to know then make the choice , that does not sound very appetizing but i like pickled herring 

Generally, this is a Swedish thing.  My father taught me that this was a Danish & Norwegian repellent.  Grandmom (a  Swedish Finn) said it was bait to trap intoxicated Finns.   It is quite "tangy" to the nose, for sure.  But many folks like the taste after the breach the pungent oder.  And you are correct. Asians have some strong smelling foods that are quite tasty.

Lutefisk is a holiday treat.  The unusual foods should be celebrated as they reflect times in our ancestors lives where food was a luxury and the clever and adaptable folks made do with what was available. We should not forget our past. 

Think of the first human that was so hungry he ate a clam or an oyster.  You gotta be real hungry to do that ....:-)

STL Suomi

8 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Generally, this is a Swedish thing.  My father taught me that this was a Danish & Norwegian repellent.  Grandmom (a  Swedish Finn) said it was bait to trap intoxicated Finns.   It is quite "tangy" to the nose, for sure.  But many folks like the taste after the breach the pungent oder.  And you are correct. Asians have some strong smelling foods that are quite tasty.

Lutefisk is a holiday treat.  The unusual foods should be celebrated as they reflect times in our ancestors lives where food was a luxury and the clever and adaptable folks made do with what was available. We should not forget our past. 

Think of the first human that was so hungry he ate a clam or an oyster.  You gotta be real hungry to do that ....:-)

STL Suomi

I figure that the whole eating snails thing started as a dare between cavemen.

54 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Oh, I love escargo! :wub:

Ditto!

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You can say that about any mollusk or gastropod.  Snails aren't bad, I've ordered them a few times just to see what they are like.   I won't pay restaurant prices for them again,  but if offered,  I won't turn them down. 

Same for frog legs.

6 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

i thought it started on "survivor" 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You can say that about any mollusk or gastropod.  Snails aren't bad, I've ordered them a few times just to see what they are like.   I won't pay restaurant prices for them again,  but if offered,  I won't turn them down. 

Same for frog legs.

Frog legs are at least legs.  Ain't nothing about a snail that's appetizing.

On 6/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

You might try some tofu with it, Okie. 

Tofu is definitely a texturing challenge and an acquired taste. I’ll admit there’s a Japanese dish or two with fried tofu that I’ve enjoyed.

Eating surstromming right from the can has become a goofy Internet challenge. It isn't meant to be a single ingredient meal or snack. Lay out a piece of flatbread, add chopped potatoes, chives/onions, plain yogurt or sour cream, then a surstromming fillet with the backbone removed, roll it up, and enjoy.

My grandparents came from Sweden on one side and Norway on the other, so I had the *pleasure* of eating (forced to eat, whatever) things like surstromming and lutefisk in my distant younger days. 

On 6/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, watab kid said:

theres a lot of stuff im not gonna eat from almost any culture on earth , but i might consider some cause ive found there are a lot that i really enjoy , gotta try it to know then make the choice , that does not sound very appetizing but i like pickled herring 

Smoked and kippered herring are great but you can have my share of the pickled.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:02 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Same for frog legs.

Joe,

Those snails in your garden are not native to the Bay Area.  They were brought from France by French emigrants.  I used to occasionally watch KQED cooking shows and one the host prepared escargot from snails gathered in her garden. 

Archived