SASS Wire Forum

Five guns with a cult following

Alpo

I'm at 80%, but my L1A1 is semi-auto, not full like his FAL. I'm missing the P7. Never owned one, and never even held or shot one.

Never ever wanted a P7. I’m thinking it must be a small cult.

I only ever owned ONE of these. The 1911!  Only one of those was a Colt.  I’m a heretic among 1911 owners in that I prefer the double stack variety!!

I’m a member of, perhaps, the largest cult of all!!  I’m a lifetime member of the AK47 cult!!  I believe that the Kalashnikov is the 1911 of the long gun world!! It works in any weather under any condition , wet, dry, clean, dirty, or even damaged!!  It can be modified to do specialized jobs. It can be outfitted with modern furniture and up to date enhancements , and it works well with any ammunition you can lay your hands on.

I've had 4 of the 5 and still own 3:  Garand, 1911 & the P7M8.  I had a Glock 21 that I sold because it was too big for my hands.

The P7M8, like Scotch, is an acquired taste.  It has a lot of positives: It's compact, it's completely safe until the squeeze cocker is depressed, it is accurate, it has very little muzzle flip, points extremely well and is very reliable.  The negatives are it is heavy for it's size by today's standards, the trigger becomes uncomfortably hot if you fire 4  or 5 magazines off in under 5 minutes and it only holds 8 rounds.

The P7M13 solved the magazine capacity problem, but the grip was too big for my hands

I am surprised the 1911 wasn’t first on the list. 
I like 1911s though I do not own one…yet. I have owned a couple, both Colt’s. I did own a Springfield for a very short time but sold it back to my friend as he regretted selling it and I took pity on him. I have worked on a lot of them. They are fun to work on. 

I now own 3 Glocks. I am one of those Glock owners that pretty much leaves them alone. Why fool with perfection (he said tongue in cheek). My Glocks are very reliable. A lesson I learned with my 1911s - If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I have owned a total of 6 Glocks. I have literally never had a problem with a Glock. 

I own a Garand. Love that rifle! 

I have no use for an FAL or an H&K anything, let alone the weird and obscure P7. 

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am surprised the 1911 wasn’t first on the list

I thought everyone knew this. You always save the best for last.

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

or an H&K anything, let alone the weird and obscure P7. 

The only thing wrong with the weird and obscure P7 is the outrageous amounts of money that H&K charges for magazines.

"Ve are Heckler und Koch. Gif us all your money. Ve hate you!"

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The only thing wrong with the weird and obscure P7 is the outrageous amounts of money that H&K charges for magazines.

"Ve are Heckler und Koch. Gif us all your money. Ve hate you!"

:lol: That is precisely why I will not own an H&K. They do make good guns, but with an attitude. ;)

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I thought everyone knew this. You always save the best for last.

I have always figured 1911s to have a bigger following, hence my reason for thinking they should be first. 

It is my intention to own another 1911 someday soon. Perhaps a Colt or maybe a Ruger. Not sure yet. It’ll probably have a lot to do with what is available and for how much. 

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol: That is precisely why I will not own an H&K. They do make good guns, but with an attitude. ;)

H&K. When you care enough to give the very best.

Then you change your mind and keep it for yourself.

IMG_20210613_161705105~2.jpg

Bought a Glock, many years ago, to take my license to carry test. Gave it to my son, after I purchased a Steyr, in .357 Sig (the other semi-automatic from Austria). I much prefer the Steyr.

I have an M1 Garand. Love it. I have an AR, and it if came down to choosing the M1, or the AR, I'd let the AR go. 

I have a Colt 1911, that my great-grandfather found in a suitcase, on the side of a dirt county road, back in 1919. I have a newer model series 70 1911. 

Really great pistols, and they suit me to a tee. Would not trade them, or that design, for all the HK's (or tea) in "Chinee". 

I never owned an FAL-FN, or an H&K, and have no desire to do so. Just too many other things out there that I am more interested in.

Like:

Colt single actions, pre and post war; Sharps; S & W Model 57/58's; Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters. Winchester model 21's; Savage model 99's. 

Belgium Browning auto .22's; Belgium Browning Hi-Powers. 

But, that's me...not you. 

It's all good... and think goodness for the great variety we all have. 

W.K. 

10 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have an M1 Garand. Love it. I have an AR, and it if came down to choosing the M1, or the AR, I'd let the AR go. 

Same here.

M-1 and 1911 all the way.  I have owned  few of each over the years.

I like the FAL, but not enough to ever own one.  Shot an Aussie version a few times in 'Nam.  Too many moving parts and a real SOB to take apart, clean, and reassemble.  

Glocks still look like  fifty nine cent plastic squirt guns to me.

A friend and his partner were LA County Sheriffs homicide cops way back.   They were given H&K squeezers to field test.  One day they were leaving a restaurant in Beverly Hills and walked right into a couple of miscreants who were leaving a jewelry store that they had just robbed.  All four had pistols, a pir o H&Ks on the good guys and a 9mm POS and a .45 Desert Eagle on the bad guys bad guys.

Bad guys got off a few shots, my friend got off one which convinced the bad guys to give upas one of them was injured, and my friend's partner got three shots away fatally injuring a palm tree.  Nice four inch group, though.

I don't think the guns were ever accepted for street use, but I don't know that for certain.

What can I say?  40% is a pretty good average and much better than my usual score in comparison with other gun owners.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Whew!  Us S&W double-action revolver fans aren't nutty like those others!  ^_^

You have such nice revolvers. :)

I noticed that video didn’t mention S&W revolvers. I have more of those than any other type of gun. They are my favorite handguns. 

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Whew!  Us S&W double-action revolver fans aren't nutty like those others!  ^_^

uBR4Iz.jpg

16d547.jpg

PZBajR.jpg

wT6XDw.jpg

F8h9Wz.jpg

mbWL4b.jpg

8fz6yU.jpg

Ae0Evg.jpg

Dear Uncle Birdie,

Is that .22 a model 18 ?

your loving nephew

wallaby   :)

I'm surprised by some of the choices. I would have assumed the Colt SAA. I can see the Glock and 1911. There are a lot of fanatics sporting AKs these days.

I am zero for five, no plans to improve the score.
Just before he died, Dad gave away his 1911 to a friend, so I missed out on that.
He also had three beat up Garands that I also passed by... had no interest in them (and still don't).

18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Dear Uncle Birdie,

Is that .22 a model 18 ?

your loving nephew

wallaby   :)

Dear loving nephew, the revolver with the .22 cartridges displayed is a Model 34-1.  It's called a "Kit Gun" and is built on a J-frame.

Wallaby, it would be much appreciated if you'd send your favorite uncle a brick of 500 .22 Long Rifle cartridges.

I have a few 1911's and an FAL( actually an STG58). I shot a fellow Deputy's P7 many years ago, didn't like it. I shot my brother's Garand and decided to get the STG instead, still don't regret that. Shot many, many Glocks of other peoples and never felt the desire to get one, prefer my BHP's.

58 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Model 34-1.  It's called a "Kit Gun" and is built on a J-frame

That's what was looking so strange. The top picture is the 15 that you thought you were going to have, until your wife saw it.

The fifth picture looked like an 18, but not quite. And I could not figure out exactly what was wrong. Maybe if the two pictures have been right next to each other but would the three other guns in between that made it more difficult.

The 34, being a J frame, has a more upward-slanting trigger guard then the K frame Model 15. There I am trying to make that gun a K frame, and it's got a J frame trigger guard on it. My eye saw the discrepancy, but my brain wasn't picking up on it.

Almost all firearms have somebody that loves them, bless their little pea picken hearts.  The more you learn the more you develop a taste for something or other.  Probably the most cult like pistols are Smith and Wesson revolvers, 1911's and Rugers.  Rifles that's harder while in the late 1970's and early 80's the FN had many followers not so much now.  The AR  platform is clearly the cult leader. Model 700 Remington is very cultish in some circles as is the Ruger and Savage.  So take your pick if you own it, it must be the best.

8 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Dear loving nephew, the revolver with the .22 cartridges displayed is a Model 34-1.  It's called a "Kit Gun" and is built on a J-frame.

Wallaby, it would be much appreciated if you'd send your favorite uncle a brick of 500 .22 Long Rifle cartridges.

Dear Uncle Birdie,

Sorry Uncle, no model 18 ... no .22s.

I was hoping to have seen another to match mine which has a Hogue grip on it, and the sweeeeeeeetest trigger ever :wub:

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

How come there's no mention of the cult following of tge Smith and wesson governor? 

Because the majority of them have been committed to a mental institution  :P 

Archived