SASS Wire Forum

Defending your decision

Alpo

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Who’s complaining??  I hope more people will begin carrying openly when concealment isn’t practical.  If the alternative is going unarmed, I don’t see it as a real alternative!!  The more open carry we see, the less remarkable it will become!!

When it becomes unremarkable, we’ll have won a major battle in the war to protect our civil rights. ALL OF OUR CIVIL RIGHTS!!

Very well said. 

5 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Back to Tennessee, 90+ degrees, 90+% humidity, the lightest available vest over my t-shirt (Columbia, that bastion of progressive thinking)... I do get asked "Watcha got underder?

I reply and ask "watchugot?

Really, once I understood "you lava" the dialect here is not difficult. And ain't nobody wearing an extra layer 'less they carry'in.

Down in the wilds of Alabama (what is usually hotter- if there's a difference at all-than TN), I just wear a loose fitting button down short sleeve shirt untucked.  It covers the Para P.13 and the spare mag just fine. 

When the Para ain't on my hip, it's a 5 shot .44 Special by Rossi.  If I can't get away with carrying either one (I'm of the 'concealed means concealed' school of thought), I pocket carry a Beretta Tomcat.

22 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

And as much as the classic answer comes to mind, saying you carry a gun because "a cop is too heavy"... It reduces any chance to convert a non-carrier.

You're wasting your time trying to convert anyone who asks that question. They already have their mind made up and are simply asking you the question to ridicule you. Whatever answer you give will be irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You're wasting your time trying to convert anyone who asks that question. They already have their mind made up and are simply asking you the question to ridicule you. Whatever answer you give will be irrelevant.

CoViD seems to have changed things. I have trained quite a number of first-time gun owners in the last year and a half, and the shop now gets a pretty steady stream for Basics of Pistol classes.

The soccer moms are still out there, but many (millions nationwide) have changed their stance in the last year; and the ones coming for training tell me they never understood all the restrictions (they supported and voted for) would apply to them, they were supposed to only apply to criminals!

37 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

CoViD seems to have changed things. I have trained quite a number of first-time gun owners in the last year and a half, and the shop now gets a pretty steady stream for Basics of Pistol classes.

The soccer moms are still out there, but many (millions nationwide) have changed their stance in the last year; and the ones coming for training tell me they never understood all the restrictions (they supported and voted for) would apply to them, they were supposed to only apply to criminals!

........ how interesting ....... :mellow:

interesting indeed , i suspect that the criminals would get a chuckle out of that , 

the only people who know im carrying are the ones that hug me and happen to reach for that spot 

18 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Preaching to the choir here, but it never fails to amuse me how all these city officials keep demanding more gun control in the wake of every gang shooting. More laws to stop people who are already likely convicted felons and aren't even supposed to have a gun to begin with.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:05 AM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Down in the wilds of Alabama (what is usually hotter- if there's a difference at all-than TN), I just wear a loose fitting button down short sleeve shirt untucked.  It covers the Para P.13 and the spare mag just fine. 

When the Para ain't on my hip, it's a 5 shot .44 Special by Rossi.  If I can't get away with carrying either one (I'm of the 'concealed means concealed' school of thought), I pocket carry a Beretta Tomcat.

Pretty much the same here.  If it's summer and I'm hanging around the lake as I tend to do, it's either a J frame in my front pocket, or my Commander on my hip with a Hawaiian style shirt for cover.

It's been a very long time since anyone asked me why I carry, but if someone did I would be tempted to get a little wild eyed and say 'because the voices tell me to, right now they're talking about you..." 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Preaching to the choir here, but it never fails to amuse me how all these city officials keep demanding more gun control in the wake of every gang shooting. More laws to stop people who are already likely convicted felons and aren't even supposed to have a gun to begin with.

Whether it's a current gun law or a new proposed law they have no intent to convict career criminals with those laws. Recently many jurisdictions have said they won't charge on gun use or enhancement of charges when a criminal uses a gun, with laws that are already on the books. They do not charge criminals when they lie and attempt to purchase a gun that would otherwise be legal.

Their intent is to make normal law abiding citizens criminals. They dont like regular people with guns having the ability to defend their families. The lawmakers and well to do liberals have their own armed security or take police off patrol to protect themselves.

Archived