SASS Wire Forum

At What Point Do You Call It Quits?

From my 9 years at China lake I quickly discovered that temps above 105 were absolutely no fun. Up to that point it was hot but tolerable.

As for shooting, with lots of shade and a couple of port-a-cools at each stage you could be done before it gets too hot if you can get the shooters to arrive early. If you have to tear down the steel in that heat after the match then it is a definite no.

Here in the land of humidity a few clubs have tried summer /winter hours but too many people show up late with the excuse of I forgot we were starting early or I overslept; so the MDs finally gave up and we have the same start times year round.

The one thing I miss about the high desert was that every evening no matter how hot it was it always cooled off at sundown. I remember many days where the difference between the high and low each day was 40 plus degrees.

And when the heat was too much you could take a trip up into the mountains where the temps were much more tolerable. You just had to remember to bring a jacket as it got down right cold after sunset. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the fan I got this morning at Wally-World for $8.88. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-6-90-Degree-Pivoting-Rechargeable-USB-Plastic-Portable-Personal-Fan-White/592825567

I pulled it out of the box and turned it on high (the first setting) and it put out an amazing amount of air.  All three speeds worked.

I read some of the reviews and many were not favorable.  Looks like a common problem is the cable connection.   We'll see.  Small investment.  

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

P.S.  The hat I put in the photo above I wore to EOT ten or twelve years ago.  It was supposed to help blow the BP smoke out of the way.  Got a lot of laughs but I only used it for two stages.  The whirring noice and vibration from the motor was driving me nuts.  Now Allie I know you are going to say how can anyone tell the difference,

Thought maybe you were trying counteract blowback! :D

Just got back from a late lunch or an early dinner.  118 outside BUT that is not the story.  On my way home I noticed a button on the door so I pressed it and a couple of minutes later my butt was nice and cool.  The new car has ventilated seats!

I don’t have a number for temp or humidity but I just know  if it’s uncomfortable just walking around outside it’ll be uncomfortable shooting. 

Field testing the $8.88 fan from Wally-World.  It's  91 and no breeze.  The humidity is below 30%. I'm on my groudhowg sniping throne.  

It definitely works!  It puts out a lot of breeze from arm's length.  

640078371_RechargeablefanJune162021.jpg.ae904ac1c1d1cf39c2af23e02e718f72.jpg

Once it runs down,  I'll see if it will recharge. 

There is an old saying...If the devil owned hell, and Texas, he'd live in hell, and rent out Texas.

Would I go if it were that hot? 

In a word.... YEP. 

But that's just me. I may not go when it is as cold as a well-digger's be-hind, in the Klondike, but how hot is gets would not be an excuse/reason for me to not go shootin'. 

I've gone shootin' when it was so hot, and dry, that the trees were chasing the dogs. :lol: 

W.K. 

It is already 115 and our shoot time for the trap league is 5:30 which is the absolute hotest hour of the day.  I am captain of the ladies squad and the four ladies voted to shoot.  All the ladies are also cowboy shooters so they are familiar with the heat.  After it is over I think it will be Margarita time.

The squad is called Wayne's World and I am Wayne.  The ladies ordered the shirts.

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Used the $9 Wally-Worlid rechargeable fan today at the match.   It started out pretty much ran down from all the time I played with it.  So I hooked it to the phone USB charger in the PU and went and shot the first two stages. I retrieved it and used the next three stages when I had time to set down.  Shared it with others.  It made a difference.  It was still doing it's job when we got done shooting. 

414537766_RechargeablefanJuly2021.jpg.b27ac2eb9c9beafe62101edcd7fd06ce.jpg

52 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Used the $9 Wally-World rechargeable fan today at the match.  ... It made a difference.  It was still doing it's job when we got done shooting. 

Paint it brown. It won't work better but it will look better.

Please let me know how it holds up after a few shoots, I'm torn between something inexpensive like this and a DeWalt for a much thinner wallet.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Paint it brown. It won't work better but it will look better.

Please let me know how it holds up after a few shoots, I'm torn between something inexpensive like this and a DeWalt for a much thinner wallet.

I never thought about the color. They come is several colors.  Maybe not brown but maybe black?

A fan that uses a cordless drill battery would could put out a lot of air for a long time.

45 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I never thought about the color. They come is several colors.  Maybe not brown but maybe black?

A fan that uses a cordless drill battery would could put out a lot of air for a long time.

I saw several cart-mounted fans at the June shoot at Oak Ridge, including a DeWalt. I do have an umbrella on my cart which did help cut the infrared from the sun, but the occasional fan on other carts made a big difference. So did the fan at the loading table! That was a huge benefit to everyone on the posse, wish I knew who to thank for that.

On edit: As to color, those bright fans just stick out. While I would never avoid a fan due to the color, making it not stick out helps the ambiance IMO. Even black would be fine, blue red and yellow are visually intrusive. Even my umbrella looks a bit too modern, might do something to it (someday). But even if is neon pink, bring the fan if you have it LOL.

Reno, NV. Our summer temps are usually 95 + but we're at 4,600 feet of elevation. Less atmosphere and the sun becomes way hotter. But it's a dry heat 15% humidity. Which is bad because when you sweat it just evaporates off you like it wasn't there.

Our club members are aging and can't take the heat like when they were 30.  Weird heat wave right now. It will be 107 at next Sundays shoot!  I will not be there.

never thought of using a fan , but then ive never thought of a lot of things , ill have to look into some of these , they would help a bit between but not much during it seems , still a good idea to have in addition to the umbrella 

90s & 100s are too much for this farthest North Idaho iceboat racer. On the other hand, I have enjoyed snowy -35 temperatures. However, that calls for staging my pistols rather than holstering them. As they say in the Marine Corps: "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome."

On 6/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It is already 115 and our shoot time for the trap league is 5:30 which is the absolute hotest hour of the day.  I am captain of the ladies squad and the four ladies voted to shoot.  All the ladies are also cowboy shooters so they are familiar with the heat.  After it is over I think it will be Margarita time.

The squad is called Wayne's World and I am Wayne.  The ladies ordered the shirts.

image.jpg

I am stealing this photo! 5 people I love DEARLY!!!

On 7/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, watab kid said:

never thought of using a fan , but then ive never thought of a lot of things , ill have to look into some of these , they would help a bit between but not much during it seems , still a good idea to have in addition to the umbrella 

I bought the $80 battery pack fan from Home Depot...the brand the hubby uses for all his tools.

It runs 8 hours on the battery!!

Great for banquet, loading table as well as the foot of the bed!!!

Worth the investment!

I don't do well with the heat.  It's genetic.  I get heat exhaustion/heat stroke really easily.  When it starts to close in, I lose focus.  It's just not safe.  I know better than to get out when it's too hot.  Especially when firearms are involved.

Archived