SASS Wire Forum

At What Point Do You Call It Quits?

This is the weather report for Phoenix for next week.  We shot today and there is another shoot scheduled for next Saturday.  Plus, a bunch of us shoot the Trap league on Wednesday.  In the old days (even two years ago) I would not hesitate to go to a match if it was 110.  I am turning into a wuss the past couple of years as I do not think I can have fun when it is well over 110.  Oh yeah, the dry heat arguement works well up until about 105.  After that it is HOT!  Would you guys go?

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 6.47.57 PM.jpeg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s supposed to be FUN! That’s not fun.

91 and humid here today. Stayed in and did some online schooling to renew all my licenses. Too much for me. 

I was born in the desert of AZ and left a long time ago.  I do not do extreme heat.  I would call it, "can't do"  with anything over three digits.  Guess I am a wuss also.....

Heat Index was 110 today. Nope, I didn't shoot.

Just now, DeaconKC said:

Heat Index was 110 today. Nope, I didn't shoot.

“Heat index” means humidity involved. I don’t do humidity. To me 72 and muggy sucks way more than 90 and dry. Hottest place I have been was Puerto Rico with 96 degrees and 98% humidity. Hell 120 in the Indian Ocean was more tolerable. Or was it 98 degrees with 96% humidity?… doesn’t matter. It sucked! 

For me, it all depends on the level of humidity.  I work an outdoor job requiring me to wear heavy flame resistant long sleeve clothing so I'm pretty used to weather. But hot, humid days just take it out of me anymore.

I did quite well at EoT at Founders in the hot, dry heat. ;)

I was in Vegas a week ago. 110° there and I did not see a need to wear shorts yet. And yes, I was outside. 

Humidity sucks unless it means more snow. B)

In Florida, the heat and humidity is unbearable (to me) from June until September. During these months, I don't go to matches that do not have permanent shade such as trees or overhead cover. CAS is supposed to be fun...heatstroke isn't fun.

Oak Ridge Tennessee yesterday, definitely in the 80s and humid.

Uncomfortable when not shooting, but forgot about it when on the line. Did enjoy the day.

Noticed a number of carts outfitted with battery-operated fans, great idea! My cart has an umbrella which helps while getting ammo together for the next stage. When I have time, I'll look at adding a fan and a battery on the cart.

I brought 2 bottles of water, drank them. it dripped off of me as fast as I drank it. Wanted more, so went and checked the well (ice chest of free water); the well was dry. I'll bring more water next time.

116? That would be in the shade 6' off the ground. I would not go out in that.

Is there shade? Dry hot and shade us tolerable, sun'll getbya crazy. 

Bring a mister wear cotton have fun

When the temp outside start registering the same numbers on my oven setting dial, its time

to take it easy in the shade or in front of a fan.

You could cook yeowndangself and not even know it till you get sick later.

I LOVE warm/hot weather.   But that don't mean my body can with stand such torment.

..........Widder

I've set 90 heat index by match end at a cut off temperature this year. 

Yesterday it was 77 when we got to match.  It was 91 actual 95 heat index when we pulled out.  The humidity was awful.  No breeze at all. I actually felt better as it warmed up and humidity dropped.  Still, soaked with sweat. Sweat running into my eys, streaming up and pudding in my glasses. 

I was prepared to quit but my old Marlin was running well and I wanted to see if it would hold up. It did.

I've pretty much become a fair weather shooter, too hot, too cold or raining and I will stay home.  This sport is supposed to be fun and I no longer find it fun to shoot in bad weather.

I went to the CT/RI/MA State shoot last weekend and it was hot and humid and part of me is sorry I went.  If it hadn't been two years since the last match (due to Covid) I probably would not have gone.  I went through 10 bottles of Gatorade and over a liter of water and I probably didn't hydrate enough.

Talked with my son last night. He was totally wiped out and home with his two year old. Had enough of the day so Tracey and I went over to watch my grandson for a bit. While I was lounging in front of the computer he was spreading five yards of mulch and working on yards. Kid was all in.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s supposed to be FUN! That’s not fun.

+ 100000

We retired to a cooler (? 107 today) clime after living in the valley since 1985. I just don't tolerate the heat like I used to and I'm not a fan of humidity either. 

It's helpful if the stages are fast and things move along in order to finish before it really, really sucks out there. 

Prescott, AZ is about 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento on any given day.
This coming week is called to be around 106.
We've had a nice cool spell for awhile, but the serious heat is just around the corner.
Our matches start at 9am, done by 11am before it gets super hot.

Up here in our part of Canada, our posses try to be shut down and gone before 2:00 in June and July and we often don't have a match in August.

And it's no way as hot you pards are discussing.

We do hold well attended winter matches in the cold and snow however.

Shooting sheds, load and unload tables with a propane heaters so you don't get your fingers frost bitten and we used to use warming tents.

Now we have a heated cabin to wait your turn in.

I guess we're just acclimatized differently. 

DSC00176_zps9h0kgyyd.jpg

DSC00181_zpsxhscx9o8.jpg

DSCN0031_zpsq5cxxckw.jpg

The coldest match I shot was a dry 3 degrees. Not bad at all. The most miserable match was a wet 30. Froze my butt off.

Those projected highs are for the hottest part of the day, 2 to 4 pm.  

Start early, 7 am.  Have fewer stages, less complication.  Have everybody home by noon.

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen . . ."

Years ago Coto Cowboys matches were 10 stages. In July, August and September we would have some pretty warm 100+ days. I shot a couple of those and man, after 7 stages in the heat it really takes it out of you. 
Finally decided to just go home when it got to be too much. When you can feel your pulse throbbing in your neck it’s time to go cool off somewhere. 

Archived