SASS Wire Forum

Hey Spotters - here's a suggestion.

Phantom, SASS #54973

When you are wanting to go shoot, don't just leave...don't just tell the T.O. that he/she needs another spotter and walk away. 

Find one yourself before you leave!

It's rude to expect the T.O. to do EVERYTHING for you.

So...have a nice day.

Phantom

And notify TO that you have assumed spotting duties!  
spotting sticks are a great help for TO. Nothing worse than turning around and having 4 different spotters holding up different counts! 

Based on the little ICON thingies, some folks might be confused by my statement. Perhaps this is because a T.O. should check their spotters before every shooter.

Great...and wonderful...but now it 2.5 million degrees out and you (the T.O.), is busting his/her butt trying to safely assist all the shooters through the stage and believe it or not, might hope that the trusty and reliable spotters are doing their part...and, heaven forbid, doesn't check to make sure he/she has 3 spotters:o

But most of the time it's right before the next shooter is called up and a Spotter goes "I'm going to go shoot, you need another spotter" and leaves...reminds me of a Koala Bear joke... 

Wonderful...Hold on next shooter cuz I've got to round up another spotter...oh, hey! Mr. I'm Leaving to Go Shot Now, can I get you a glass of water...wipe the sweat from your brow...???

Oy...

Phantom

37 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But most of the time it's right before the next shooter is called up and a Spotter goes "I'm going to go shoot, you need another spotter" and leaves...

Hmm, I'll have to remember that spotter...next time I call him/her up for their turn to shoot, it might be time to say, "I'm going to go shoot, you need another TO" and leave...

<_<

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And if you've already shot, don't wait to get called on, go ask who needs relief.

This is the most annoying thing to me. I get that you want a candy bar to keep you blood sugar up. I get that you want a drink to stay hydrated. I get that you want to catch up on all the gossip. Bring the candy bar and water with you to the front area and spot. Catch up on all the gossip at the restaurant gathering afterwards.

1 hour ago, Jackalope said:

Hmm, I'll have to remember that spotter...next time I call him/her up for their turn to shoot, it might be time to say, "I'm going to go shoot, you need another TO" and leave...

<_<

You know, I've done exactly that!  Hope you and Anita are well.  We miss you both.

13 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

And after you shoot the last stage just don't pack up your cart and head to your car leaving all the work to a dwindling few.

Yep! Got so bad at one point when I was President of LSFSC that I announced anyone who left the stage before the posse was finished would receive a procedural. This penalty was the Horse's Ass procedural. We never gave one out, and never would have. But it got the message across.

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

And when spotting for BP shooters,  standing close in behind the shooter is kind of . . . . unproductive. 

+100.

I've overheard spotters say, "Because of the smoke I didn't see it, but the target didn't "clang." Ugh! 

BP + dead steel = a miss sometimes.

I have also been saved by spotters (off to the sides) point out the actual impact marks on the paint (not the clang) showing that the target was hit.

So I like to think it evens out.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

And while we’re at it spotters reset the KD’s, don’t expect the T.O. to do that too

I help TO at almost all the clubs that I shoot at. More than once I timed the shooter, had to give the time & spotters report to the person recording, reset the KO's, and pick up the brass. I do that once. Then I make the announcement that from here forward I TO and report the time. I will not call the next shooter to the line until the targets are reset, brass is picked up, and enough pards are in the area to spot the next shooter. If you want to stand around and shoot the bull fine then I will stand around too.

The last time I shot a particular club I was shooting gunfighter. Shoot the first stage, the club president was the TO. He turns to poll the counters and I hear "I don't know, he shoots so fast I couldn't tell. I guess 3." He tells the scorekeeper and 3. I say that they couldn't tell , so they draw an arbitrary number out of the sky? I says by definition that's clean, if you think it's a hit it's a hit, if you think it's miss, it's a hit. If you know it's a miss, it's a miss. Win that argument. Next stage is 5 pistol knockdowns, 1 large stationary. KD, stationary, KD, stationary for 10 rounds. Same scenario for rifle, then 4 SG KD's. I'm one of 3 spotters for first shooter. Leaves 2 pistol standing,  one rifle standing and misses two more rifle. I turn holding a fistful up, one of them has 2 fingers and the other is closed fist. Clean, 2 and 5. Same TO as before and he is confused as to what to tell the scorekeeper. I says, well there are 3 targets standing, so it's a minimum of 3. I hand my stick over and stay out of any more discussions that day. As I said, the was the LAST time I shot at that club.

Spotters matter!!

spotters.jpg.a6f560fc3b6752dec8af811163bb9d0b.jpg

Write stages with target sequences spread as far left as possible to as far right as possible and instruct the shooter to engage in any order (especially if the stage has stage fronts/windows/door etc). 

Rush to the next stage and move your cart as close to the firing line as possible ... so you will have a front row seat (and something to set on) ... The spotters and brass pickers can climb over you ... if they run into the shooter or TO that's just too bad ... that's what reshoots are for.

Don't feel bad if the TO never makes eye contact (with you) or even looks in your direction before giving the time/penalties to the score keeper. 

Oops .. never mind ... 

22 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

When you are wanting to go shoot, don't just leave...don't just tell the T.O. that he/she needs another spotter and walk away. 

Find one yourself before you leave!

It's rude to expect the T.O. to do EVERYTHING for you.

So...have a nice day.

Phantom

Man you hit the nail in the head! One of the most frustrating things as a posse leader is having to ask people to do work! 

all excellent points , i do seek out to replace after i shoot and have had an issue finding a volunteer when i havent on occasion , but overall most do follow this protocol fairly well , we all have to do our part - whatever that is , nothing is so menial as to be below us - it all has to get done by someone 

As Lassiter says, if you can't stand, can't see or can't hear, don't spot. 

So, I am a brass picker at most matches.

Then there's me when I use to shoot. After finishing the three spotters are next to each other, one hold's up 10 fingers, the one next to him has  two fingers crossed making an X, and the third spotter has up four fingers. Oh well even if there was only 24 targets in all. Fun game, everyone laughs. :lol: 40 misses my a**, maybe 30 

11 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Then there's me when I use to shoot. After finishing the three spotters are next to each other, one hold's up 10 fingers, the one next to him has  two fingers crossed making an X, and the third spotter has up four fingers. Oh well even if there was only 24 targets in all. Fun game, everyone laughs. :lol: 40 misses my a**, maybe 30 

Not when only a few are working their asses off...

3 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

As Lassiter says, if you can't stand, can't see or can't hear, don't spot. 

So, I am a brass picker at most matches.

I am of the opinion that you are doing the most critical job of all. Of course the other jobs are important and they need to be done well, but without the brass picker(s), everything comes to a halt. Thank you for doing the job that many would die before doing. 

On 6/12/2021 at 8:15 PM, Hoss said:

And notify TO that you have assumed spotting duties!  
spotting sticks are a great help for TO. Nothing worse than turning around and having 4 different spotters holding up different counts! 

When the shooter is ready (but hasn't been asked for a starting line, etc.), I call for spotters and point to them individually calling out 1-2-3 to ensure that I do indeed have three spotters. If there are more than three who believe they are spotting, this identifies which three I will call upon at the conclusion of the shooting. 

When I’ve been posse marshal at my pre-match briefing I always ask that spotters not leave until properly relieved, and new spotter should notify TO. I also remind everyone that they should do something for a bare minimum of 5 shooters (on a 15 person posse if smaller going to have to do more!) if they don’t work for at least 5 shooters, then someone is picking up their slack. 

this is for able-bodied persons. I know there are those among us who struggle to just get thru the match. But most of them could, at a minimum, work the ULT or keep score. 

at last weeks match we had a small posse, 10 shooters. I TOed, shot and counted on every stage. after 5 stages I helped a guy clear a squib, then all of a sudden I was “bear caught”. I sat in the shade, drank some water, told my posse mates I needed a break. I was not sweating, had flushed skin, a little crampy. I had just about decided to skip the stage.  I drank water, kind of caught my breath and shot the stage clean. In all reality, I should have skipped it. Pride can be/is a terrible thing! Long story short, you ain’t driving home in the caddy, it’s just a game, if your not feeling well it’s ok to skip a stage! 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yep! Got so bad at one point when I was President of LSFSC that I announced anyone who left the stage before the posse was finished would receive a procedural. This penalty was the Horse's Ass procedural. We never gave one out, and never would have. But it got the message across.

Not sure it'll make the rule book. But it seems fitting.

4 minutes ago, flat iron mike said:

Not sure it'll make the rule book. But it seems fitting.

Was just a subtle way of letting people know how they are viewed when they leave the posse and there is still work/shooters left. Without calling them out by name and hurting feelings. Psychology, don't ya know!:rolleyes:

Archived