SASS Wire Forum

What would be a fair trade?

Stillwater Casey

Hi, I am new to this site so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, if it is correction would be appreciated. I am looking to join SASS but am waiting until I have all the necessary guns, which brings me to my query: 

I have a 1873 Colt SAA clone produced by USFA, which I purchased (already used) because although it wasn’t what I wanted, I noticed the Hammer pull was exceedingly smooth and crisp, locking the hammer completely in place the moment you hear the 4th click and the cylinder has almost no play side to side when locked up, which was a little above average compared to others I handled, so I bought it. Like I said though, this is not the gun I’m interested in owning, especially given the high price a second would cost me! So I wanted to get a good idea of what it would be worth in a trade.

The revolver I’m looking to trade looks to go for a little over $1,000 in auctions, and while mine is not brand new it only has very minor cosmetic blemishes, and has the matte black finish, it also will come with a black, left hand draw, leather holster. I’ll get into the specifics another day, but for now I just want to get a ballpark estimate of it’s worth.

I would like to complete my gear with 1.) A model of 1873 lever action rifle in .357, 2.) A hammered double barrel shotgun in 12 gauge, and 3.) A pair of 1872 style revolvers with the open top in .38SPL. Would my revolver plus the holster be a fair trade for any of these?

6 minutes ago, Stillwater Casey said:

Hi, I am new to this site so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, if it is correction would be appreciated. I am looking to join SASS but am waiting until I have all the necessary guns, which brings me to my query: 

I have a 1873 Colt SAA clone produced by USFA, which I purchased (already used) because although it wasn’t what I wanted, I noticed the Hammer pull was exceedingly smooth and crisp, locking the hammer completely in place the moment you hear the 4th click and the cylinder has almost no play side to side when locked up, which was a little above average compared to others I handled, so I bought it. Like I said though, this is not the gun I’m interested in owning, especially given the high price a second would cost me! So I wanted to get a good idea of what it would be worth in a trade.

The revolver I’m looking to trade looks like it often goes for upwards of $2,000 in auctions, and while mine is not brand new it only has very minor cosmetic blemishes, and has the matte black finish, it also will come with a black, left hand draw, leather holster. I’ll get into the specifics another day, but for now I just want to get a ballpark estimate of it’s worth.

I would like to complete my gear with 1.) A model of 1873 lever action rifle in .357, 2.) A hammered double barrel shotgun in 12 gauge, and 3.) A pair of 1872 style revolvers with the open top in .38SPL. Would my revolver plus the holster be a fair trade for any of these?

Move this to the SASS Classified...better chance there.

Some USFA pistols can be of 'premium' quality and in good demand by some folks.

I don't know its value, but hopefully a good Pard will chime in and help you out with

good info.   I can tell you this much... its probably worth more than a collection of

Bazooka bubble gum wrapper cartoons.

..........WIdder

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Move this to the SASS Classified...better chance there.

Alright, will do as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for the advice.

With the matte black finish, your USFA is a Rodeo.  This was the least expensive offering from USFA.  Still high quality and still valuable, but I'm going to say closer to $1K than $2K.   Good luck.

Your revolvers are the Rodeo model...if memory serves me.

USFA are Collectable...even the Rodeo's. But I would say you'll need to find a PT Barnum buyer as those should go for $1100-1300...believe it or not.

Phantom

11 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

With the matte black finish, your USFA is a Rodeo.  This was the least expensive offering from USFA.  Still high quality and still valuable, but I'm going to say closer to $1K than $2K.   Good luck.

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Your revolvers are the Rodeo model...if memory serves me.

USFA are Collectable...even the Rodeo's. But I would say you'll need to find a PT Barnum buyer as those should go for $1100-1300...believe it or not.

Phantom

Hmm, that makes me wonder why the last 3 I saw sold in auctions went for much more than that. If I recall correctly, I noticed three Rodeo versions sold in the past couple months, one went for ~$2,800, one for ~$2,300, and one closer to your estimate for ~$1,500. The more expensive two were in brand new condition with an extra cylinder too though.

8 minutes ago, Stillwater Casey said:

Hmm, that makes me wonder why the last 3 I saw sold in auctions went for much more than that. If I recall correctly, I noticed three Rodeo versions sold in the past couple months, one went for ~$2,800, one for ~$2,300, and one closer to your estimate for ~$1,500. The more expensive two were in brand new condition with an extra cylinder too though.

I don't know...I do this kinda stuff for a living...would love to see the Auction results that you reference.

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't know...I do this kinda stuff for a living...would love to see the Auction results that you reference.

There are so many current running auctions for the appropriate price range now that I can’t find them, two were on gunbroker and the other was some other site. Looking back on it I bet it had to do with the scarcity of all guns and people panic buying so many at the times I looked them up. I’ll definitely adjust my post for it’s current and correct value though.

My advice is to go ahead and join SASS. It's not a requirement to participate, but it will give you a better feeling of belonging. Then get to some shoots, start learning what goes on, the social aspect of a shoot. It's not just an every man for himself attitude. You don't list your location but we could direct you to some very close to you. If you happen to be near where EOT is happening next week in Indiana,  you could visit there one of the three days. Lots of vendors and probably some individuals selling stuff.

3 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

My advice is to go ahead and join SASS. It's not a requirement to participate, but it will give you a better feeling of belonging. Then get to some shoots, start learning what goes on, the social aspect of a shoot. It's not just an every man for himself attitude. You don't list your location but we could direct you to some very close to you. If you happen to be near where EOT is happening next week in Indiana,  you could visit there one of the three days. Lots of vendors and probably some individuals selling stuff.

Alright, thanks for the advice. Sadly I’m nowhere near Indiana, but I would like to spend time around some similarly interested folk. Is a SASS membership required to attend?

Stillwater, to get back to your original question on trades.   Because USFA guns, especially all-USA-made (and you would need to determine that), have risen in price a goodly amount in recent years.  In pre-pandemicrazy times before people decided whatever they owned was worth a lot more, yes you might find someone willing to trade for close to what you are looking for.  Someone would trade you a TTN or CZ or such hammered shotgun for it, I think.  A pair of used opentops?  Possibly.  The '73, if it is stock then possibly.  These days?  Hard to say.   You can always offer it up and see what bites.  Try to determine if it is all-USA first.  I don't think all Rodeos are, but I'm no expert on them.  The left hand holster probably won't add much value.

BTW, SASS membership is only required to compete at state-level matches and above.  And it is required to advertise in the classifieds as well.  ;)

2 hours ago, Stillwater Casey said:

Alright, thanks for the advice. Sadly I’m nowhere near Indiana, but I would like to spend time around some similarly interested folk. Is a SASS membership required to attend?

No, SASS membership is not required to attend or participate in a SASS match unless the match is State or above.

The Wyoming Clubs are listed below. I don't live anywhere near close to Wyoming so I cannot verify that all of the below info is still valid. I would suggest contacting the contact of the club that is closest to you to confirm that their match is good to go.

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Wyoming#map

7 hours ago, Stillwater Casey said:

Yes, that's what I pointed out. membership is not required to go to local shoots and participate. Nor is it required to go to any match and watch, ask questions, probably be given the chance to shoot a few rounds down range to see what you think. My point was to not sit back and wait until you've gotten everything you THINK you need. Go and see what is being used, ask questions, try and form an educated opinion before plunking down money on what may not be what you end up wanting. Cypress Sun gave you a link to the clubs in Wyoming. I'll give you a link to all SASS clubs by state. You say southwest Wyoming, you could be a short distance from clubs in Utah, Colorado, etc.

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/

10 hours ago, Stillwater Casey said:

Alright, will do as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for the advice.

You can't do that just yet.  Only SASS members can initiate a post on the Classified Forum.  But, you can reply to existing ads.

Archived