SASS Wire Forum

long hunter 15lb springs on R NMV and CCI 500 primers

Last Call Saul

I just installed 15 lbs hammer springs on my SASS NMV and OMG - it is so light... used a longer one from long hunter kit with the regular strut, no internal lock.  

question - anyone had issues with this setup and cci 500 primers?  there is also a 17lbs spring in the kit

thanks

already got both... installed 15 lb in there.  just don't want to run into light strikes on next match if someone already made the same mistake :)  I prefer to learn on other's mistakes

this is what I got

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=235

not sure what do you mean about straw purchase.. I bought my vaqueros from an old friend of mine :)

Every Ruger is different, only way you'll know for sure is to shoot them, or put a couple primers in empty cases and give it a try.

Be aware, that popping off primers in empty cases will cause the primer to back off and bind up the cylinder.

Beware of slow lock time with light springs.  You don't have to be a fast shooter to outrun a 15 pound hammer spring if your follow-through isn't solid.  If you are a reasonably fast shooter and have learned to stop listening for the dig before starting your next shot, you're more likely to outrun a 15 lb hammer spring. 

Also be aware of a dirty gun from blowing dust and powder fouling. That can lead to FTF also. 

Springs will take a 'set' over time. Keep a couple of #10AN washers in your repair kit. Use'em to shim the hammer spring.

OLG 

• 2 weeks later...

oh well.... live and learn

installed 15 lb main springs and lighter trigger springs - one gun worked perfectly - second one - 2-3 light strikes on every 5 rounds... I thought maybe 15 is too light - installed 17 lb springs from the same long hunter kits - same gun light strikes again.  installed OEM springs back and will try this week - if the same gun still light strikes - i will send it to Ruger.  if it works with OEM springs - I will send them to our local cowboy smith to get a proper job

:(

• Last Call Saul changed the title to long hunter 15lb springs on R NMV and CCI 500 primers
7 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

oh well.... live and learn

installed 15 lb main springs and lighter trigger springs - one gun worked perfectly - second one - 2-3 light strikes on every 5 rounds... I thought maybe 15 is too light - installed 17 lb springs from the same long hunter kits - same gun light strikes again.  installed OEM springs back and will try this week - if the same gun still light strikes - i will send it to Ruger.  if it works with OEM springs - I will send them to our local cowboy smith to get a proper job

:(

Are these NMV?

17 lb spring is OEM in the NMV.

23LB in OMV.

OLG 

SAUL,

You've have been given some 'Tried and Trued' information above.   Learn from it.

Murdoch, Doc and Lumpy have summed it up well.

If your Ruger's have been smoothed and DeBurred in all areas, primers PROPERLY seated, etc.....

those 15# springs just might work well for you.   But as Doc stated, if you get reasonably faster

with those pistols, you might find yeowndangself wanting a faster hammer fall so you don't outrun

em.

As a reasonably fast Gunfighter, I prefer 17+ lbs on my hammer springs to help get the fastest

hammer fall possible.   And its not hard to cock a 17# hammer, unless you have a rough action

pistol.    

Good luck.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Are these NMV?

17 lb spring is OEM in the NMV.

23LB in OMV.

OLG 

I know but with long hunter springs the hammer cock is so much lighter,,, not sure why even if the packege says its also 17 lbs

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

SAUL,

You've have been given some 'Tried and Trued' information above.   Learn from it.

Murdoch, Doc and Lumpy have summed it up well.

If your Ruger's have been smoothed and DeBurred in all areas, primers PROPERLY seated, etc.....

those 15# springs just might work well for you.   But as Doc stated, if you get reasonably faster

with those pistols, you might find yeowndangself wanting a faster hammer fall so you don't outrun

em.

As a reasonably fast Gunfighter, I prefer 17+ lbs on my hammer springs to help get the fastest

hammer fall possible.   And its not hard to cock a 17# hammer, unless you have a rough action

pistol.    

Good luck.

..........Widder

I understand but in stock form these SASS vaqueros are not as smooth and light as my stock uberti el patrons and those are 100% reliable... I had 2 pair of vaqueros, one I sold and one I was going to keep for myself - both new and both are tight and rough out of the box compared to ubertis.... I really want to like them...

44 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

I know but with long hunter springs the hammer cock is so much lighter,,, not sure why even if the packege says its also 17 lbs

I understand but in stock form these SASS vaqueros are not as smooth and light as my stock uberti el patrons and those are 100% reliable... I had 2 pair of vaqueros, one I sold and one I was going to keep for myself - both new and both are tight and rough out of the box compared to ubertis.... I really want to like them...

Sounds like they need some smoothing.  Not lighter springs.  Different issue with "rough out of the box", springs won't do anything with that.

3 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Sounds like they need some smoothing.  Not lighter springs.  Different issue with "rough out of the box", springs won't do anything with that.

but why then with new springs they feel much better than with stock ones - even with long hunter 17 lbs.... I am starting to think that one revolver has another issue - maybe timing or transfer bar out of spec...

one of them is perfect with any spring - another is not...

35 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

but why then with new springs they feel much better than with stock ones - even with long hunter 17 lbs.... I am starting to think that one revolver has another issue - maybe timing or transfer bar out of spec...

one of them is perfect with any spring - another is not...

Then the other needs to visit a gunsmith for correction.  Or go back to Ruger.  Keep in mind any aftermarket parts will be removed by Ruger. 

36 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Then the other needs to visit a gunsmith for correction.  Or go back to Ruger.  Keep in mind any aftermarket parts will be removed by Ruger. 

Yes... oem springs are back in... if light strikes persist it will go to ruger...if ok with oem - it will go foe a slick job

I have a pair of new vaqueros that we installed 14 pound hammer springs with 30 ounce trigger spring from wolf. Fires every primer brand I’ve run through it without a problem. 

2 hours ago, oak creek martin said:

I have a pair of new vaqueros that we installed 14 pound hammer springs with 30 ounce trigger spring from wolf. Fires every primer brand I’ve run through it without a problem. 

NMV come with 30oz trigger return spring.

OLG 

• 3 weeks later...

update - got the OEM springs back and shot over 100 rounds from both guns.... not a hickup... so no point of sending back to Ruger.  will need to send them to the cowboy smith for a slick up 

On 6/11/2021 at 2:50 PM, Last Call Saul said:

just don't want to run into light strikes on next match if someone already made the same mistake :)  I prefer to learn on other's mistakes

Truth is, there are a lot of variables between individual guns; especially concerning firing pin striking force and lengths, and where transfer bars are in play. 

The only way to get confidence in your next match is to try the new gun-spring-primer-brass combination (each gun).  After 200 or so successfully fired rounds. you can probably be 80% confident.  The other 20% is controlled by what you do after the beep.  

(In my own experience with my NMVs, I would expect occasional misfires from 15# springs on CCI primers.)  

Archived