SASS Wire Forum

"News of the World" Surprisingly good western with Tom Hanks.

Warden Callaway

Sawmil Mary found more movies at the Library.  They're catch as catch can.  This one, "News of the World" turned out to be exceptionally good.  Apparently,  it went straight to DVD and cable because of the planned-demic.   Catch it if you can find it.  I know it's pay for view on YouTube. 

Arizona wasn't quite as bad as some places.  I saw it in the local theatre several months ago.  It made me wonder if someone could actually make a living doing what Hanks does in the movie?  Sort of a western version of an English town cryer.

Another pretty decent Tom Hands movie that got lost in the pandemic was Greyhound.  It is a WWII movie about protecting convoys in the early months of WWII.  Hanks is the commander of a destroyer flotilla.

15 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I probably didn't open this topic.   Not enough info in the title to draw my attention. 

One thing I saw that looked fake was that the little lady actor looked way to pale to be an indian captive for many years. Obviously pale completion person but would have developed a bronze color from living outdoors.   Later in the movie she developed some tan. 

39 minutes ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Sorry, but can't support Hanks or his wife.  Too left wing for my money.

To each their own and I too support this to an extent (I no longer watch sports except rodeo and some motorcycle racing), but a person that won't watch sports/tv/movies based on liberal political beliefs probably doesn't need to own a TV.

45 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

To each their own and I too support this to an extent (I no longer watch sports except rodeo and some motorcycle racing), but a person that won't watch sports/tv/movies based on liberal political beliefs probably doesn't need to own a TV.

Or have an internet provider. 

If you already pay to have the ability to watch the movie, show, news, etc., of the person or persons that are too left wing to pay your money to watch and it doesn't cost you any more money than you already pay....then you've already paid the left wing person or persons that you didn't want to pay in the first place.

BTW, I'm no where near left wing but I enjoyed the movie and many other Hanks films. 

3 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Sorry, but can't support Hanks or his wife.  Too left wing for my money.

I'm confident Hanks supports himself and his wife just fine.

He's made, or been instrumental in making, some really fine movies and series. Greyhound was the last I've seen; it was very good. News of the World looks good.

The DVD came with two disks.  The second one is all about the making of the movie, actors, etc.  The little girl, Helena Zengel was 12 when the movie was filmed.  She speaks surprisingly good english and Tom Hanks said she was a natural who hardly needed directions or explanations but rather just picked it right up.  She bears watching. 

Tom Hanks is a supporter of the D-Day museum in New Orleans and made Saving PrivateRyan. He made Grehound about WWII destroyer in  North Atlantic which was great. Some of the scenes were shot on the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge. He is now producing a movie about the airwar over Germany. He has made some good movies about the greatest generation 

Don't forget Forrest Gump. :D

If we did not support anything liberal we would not be posting here.  The providers that host the SASS website are all leftists and can de-platform anyone they want at anytime.

I don't consider going to a movie as 'supporting' anything, except my desire to see the movie and be entertained, and, sometimes, edified.

I don't care about the politics of actors in movies any more than I care about the politics of my neurosurgeon (and I've had one of those...).

22 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The only actor so far that I am boycotting is Robert De Niro. His behavior is inexcusable. There are too many liberals in that profession to boycott them on the basis of politics.

I agree!! I have to add one more though, Clint Eastwood, yes Ol’ Clint who backed Bloomberg for POTUS! The most antigun person on the planet. 

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Sorry, Rye, I love Clint's movies too much to boycott him. Besides, remember him talking to the empty chair.

Yea I know but I just wondered what happened to him? You know he’s been sorta antigun since the 70’s. Look it up. He’s for gun registration and an assault weapon ban. I just can’t tolerate a hypocrite like him!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea I know but I just wondered what happened to him? You know he’s been sorta antigun since the 70’s. Look it up. He’s for gun registration and an assault weapon ban. I just can’t tolerate a hypocrite like him!

You've said this before about Eastwood. If, in fact, he's been 'sorta antigun since the '70s' (a questionable point anyway), how is he a  hypocrite?

21 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

You've said this before about Eastwood. If, in fact, he's been 'sorta antigun since the '70s' (a questionable point anyway), how is he a  hypocrite?

Making movies with guns is pretty hypocritical to me !

If you think his antigun stance is questionable why don’t you look it up like I did! 

34 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Then all actors are hypocrites...I think there are some in olden times who'd say that. If a law-abiding actor plays a criminal, he's a hypocrite; and vice versa!

I agree most are hypocrites! It's all about the $$$!!

too left for me too , and the planned demic seems to have erased the other issues that were beginning to make news regarding him , but hey because its not proven ill let it go , im a tolerant individual 

The better half and I treated ourselves and saw it in theater on New Years Day along with a steak dinner afterwards.

Loved the movie, and the little hopeful message of it was something I kind of needed after all the negativity from the previous year.

Archived