SASS Wire Forum

Small Pistol Primers, OMG

Outlaw Gambler

For the first time since 2019 I started reloading 32 and 32-20 and ran out of primers. Went to the ammo cave and pulled out a box of 5000 Winchester small primers and I had written the price I paid for them. I was amazed and got a very large smile when I seen $35 per 1000 or $175 per 5000. Sure beats gunbroker prices of $900 per 5000. Not gloating or bragging just TOTALLY amazed at a $725 uptick. Of course if I told you I bought them about the same time Obama was elected you would understand the $35 cost.

When I started reloading in about 2000 WSP were $60 for 5000, WLP were $70. $14 and $15 per 1000, respectively. Winchester 209's were $25 per 1000 or $3 per hundred. There was a boat shop/sporting goods store across the street from where I work that went out of business about 2003. All their ammo and reloading supplies were 1/2 off.

Ron, you should send the new President a Thank You for the new prices for every thing.  Be thankful your not building a new house with the current price of lumber … worse than the gouged prices for primers

i dont have any 1873 gold pieces , wish i did , finally scored the small pistol primers i need for this and next year , but it wasnt easy , had to find a guy at the range that was moving who didnt want to move multi state with all of what he had , treated fairly some trading involved and a bit of commiseration on family woes these days we both share , its sad we are getting to that age when funerals are more common than graduations and weddings , 

but on a lighter note im actually going to a wedding tomorrow , a niece that waited till she was old enough to understand , im happy twice 

I have not seen any primers for sale, (and very little powder) other than on Scalp Broker, for a very long time. I am indeed surprised at how many shooters continue to shoot both on Sat and Sun at 2 or 3 different clubs each month. There must be more primers and powder rat holed around the country than I thought. I've read articles and watched videos about the primer situation and am still confused about what is going on. They claim that output is at an all time high yet I monitor at all the web sites looking for supplies on a regular bases and have not seen anything come up for sale .. not even the import stuff. Many say that it is all going into Ammo production, but I don't even see the Ammo for sale. Although last week one of the local shops had a pile of various calibers from some MFG that I have never heard of. They must be getting primers and powder somewhere. Sure seems like it would have let up by now. I don't want to see folks stop shooting, the clubs need the support, but I also don't want to see folks use up all their ammo/supplies and be left high and dry.  

First primers I bought back in the mid 60's  100 CCI small pistol for $.35 cents

The good old days.

19 hours ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

I started reloading in 1977, primers were less than a penny each. That held through the early 1990s.

And back in 1967 buy nine packs of 100 and get the tenth pack free.  Primers were packed in cottonwood trays. 89 cents per tray.

...once upon a time, I was asked to join in a bulk purchase for primers, $350 for 10k! I thought that was pricey....:blink:

DB:FlagAm:

If you reeeally want to feel nostalgic, check out this discussion from just two years ago:   :huh:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/primer-price-increase.864638/

Fella sez, "Cabela's wants $39 [for 1,000] so I won't even consider buying from them."

15 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Inflation was 5% just for May of this year.  Remember the WIN button?  Whip Inflation Now.

1280px-%22WIN%22_button.JPG

JoeBee is whipping inflation now. That horse is in the lead. It's moving faster that ever.......:D

Archived