SASS Wire Forum

Heritage mfg

Lucky Bastard

I have seen lots in the past, and know little about their current production. That said I doubt that they would hold up well to the abuse we dole out.

Imis

Just cause you asked I looked at one at Sportsman's a few minutes ago.  It is a Pietta and the fit and finish were not bad at all and was on par with other Uberti and Pietta models.  The main difference being the Heritage is all blue.  Pietta's are well made and it will certainly hold up as a CAS main match handgun.

based on the replys ill say give them a try , i would not if really heritage arms - their 22s are entry level , but made by those two should stand up to what we do , i always look at my CSA/SASS guns as tools , you want them to work when in use , a finiky item would be more bother than backup , but that is only my HO , i rather like an all blue - ive never bought only for finish , 

i bet a lot of the ones i bought and tried then sold are serving the new owners just fine 

Customer of our gun store bought a Heritage 22lr/22mag convertible June 2020.  Gun would not lock up with 22mag cylinder.  Sent it back thru our Distributor.  January 2021 Heritage said gun can not be fixed and will send new one when available.  April 2021 received new gun from Distributor.  

Could not cycle gun.  Firing pin stuck all the way forward.  Sent it back to Distributor.  End of May 2021 received new gun from Distributor and it seemed to cycle without any problems.  Delivered to customer and have not heard from him since.  Luckily this customer had more patience than any customer I have ever known.  Distributor said they have to sell Heritage because Taurus now owns them.  No Heritage, no Taurus.  

Our store will NEVER EVER sell another Heritage product after this horrible customer service and quality control.

Back over to the LGS to see if any primers or powder came in.  Took a quick shot of the Heritage.  The fit of the trigger guard and back strap were very good.  The blue is much nicer than this photo shows.  If I were starting out in CAS I would have no hesitation to buy a pair.

IMG_1897.JPG

Whether it's a 22lr/22mag,  made by whoever, or .357 or 45lc built by Pietta, doesn't matter, Heritage's customer service sucks.  If you buy any Heritage and have a problem you are up a creek without a paddle.  Same with their parent company Taurus.  People who bought their PT911 guns were notified of a recall.  Send your gun in and Taurus will give you a $200.00 credit towards a new Taurus firearm.  Doesn't matter if you paid $400.00 for your gun and they can't fix it, sorry, this is how our LIFETIME WARRANTY works.

I have 26 years in the retail firearms industry.  I deal with customer problems, distributors, mfg. customer service,  and even manufacturers CEO's  all week long.   Every month some gun Mfg. announces in magazines, on the internet, on their website some new super gun and just go to your local dealer and they will have it on their shelf.  Maybe, just maybe, your local dealer might be able to get you one in let's say the next month to 6 months.  If any other industry ran their business like the gun industry does they would be out of business in 6 months.

6 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Did Heritage sell other centerfire revolvers before? Or have the only ones they've ever offered been made by Pietta?

The Heritage Big Bore used to be made in Germany, by JP Sauer, later of Sig Sauer fame. The company who had purchased the tooling was Weirauch. These revolvers had been made starting in the early 60's and offered under various brands, beginning with Hy Hunter. They sported grip frames sized like a Colt and main frame/cylinders larger. They had recessed chambers and will handle loads in line with the Ruger Super Blackhawk family. When Weirauch began production they added the transfer bar system. This was the same tooling used to produce the Herter's line of single actions. I still have about a dozen of them in 357, 44 mag and one 45 colt.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/7/21/herters-401-powermag

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/12/featured-gun-hawes-western-marshal.html

In my early days,  I bought a new one about 10+ years ago. As others have said, it’s made by Pietta. I found it well-made and really smooth out of the box. Got rid of it as I didn’t like the transfer bar set up which behaved like a Ruger if the hammer wasn’t fully cocked. 

Shoulda kept it as a backup gun, but was too much of a rookie to know any better then. 

Archived