SASS Wire Forum

This ought to get things going.

Snakebite

A few years ago we had one club add a par-time to a match to 'speed things up'  - which as you can imagine was a nightmare for new shooters or those with any sort of physical handicap. 

13 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Only if you shave your legs and wear a skirt. Please warn me if you do so I can guarantee I'm NOT there to see it. :wacko:

Some guys/gals will go to any length to win. Here's a photo of El Looseo :D

OddCouple.jpg

13 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Hey Snakebite!  You sure know how to pick 'em.

I'm going to go with the handicap idea just to spur some additional conversation.

Want to it right?  Have a series of "standard" stages.  Distances, target heights, target sizes.  Scores for those "standard" stages should be sent in to build out the handicap.  Shoot in the top 1 percentile, no handicap and the rest is based on that.  Average out the differences at different percentiles and come up with each shooter's handicap.  It's actually really easy to do. 

Frankly, I think it's a horrible idea, but if you're gonna do it, take it to the logical conclusion and do it right.  Don't make a half-assed job of it.  It would be wise then to group shooters by handicap and not award an overall.  Just by handicap.  Top 5 second handicap, top 20 second handicap, etc.

Of course, this brings in the strong possibility of sandbagging.  Which is part of what makes it a horrible idea.  If I put in a crap ton of work and shot several 10,s of thousands of rounds prepping for a match, it would be really crappy to be beat by someone with a 20 handicap. 

Just my 2 cents, and since you didn't pay that, this opinion ain't even worth the effort that went in to typing it.

Doc, you could control the "Sandbagging" by saying that you could not shoot ANY stage faster or with fewer misses than you had in your qualifiying run.

9 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Doc, you could control the "Sandbagging" by saying that you could not shoot ANY stage faster or with fewer misses than you had in your qualifiying run.

Nah, I don't think that's reasonable.  It assumes that the qualifying run (which may have been a year ago) was the peak performance.  Shooters get better.  If there's a "qualifying run" every match, there will be a running average of maybe most recent 10 runs or something.  But penalizing a shooter based on a qualifying run time doesn't set well due to all of the variables that go into each stage. 

I am all for limiting categories. As a MD, it get frustrating seeing the awards check be larger than the food check for the annual. I would much rather see fewer awards and give out nice ones that meant something, or to be able to reduce costs so more people could afford to come

2 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Nah, I don't think that's reasonable.  It assumes that the qualifying run (which may have been a year ago) was the peak performance.  Shooters get better.  If there's a "qualifying run" every match, there will be a running average of maybe most recent 10 runs or something.  But penalizing a shooter based on a qualifying run time doesn't set well due to all of the variables that go into each stage. 

Doc, I think you are missing the whole point of this thread. There is nothing serious about it!

4 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Doc, I think you are missing the whole point of this thread. There is nothing serious about it!

I caught that.  Just thought I'd take a different approach in responding to show how ridiculous the idea is.

16 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I caught that.  Just thought I'd take a different approach in responding to show how ridiculous the idea is.

All my responses are ridiculous...oh...was Snakebite referring to this thread?

Never mind...

16 hours ago, John Boy said:

Before he passed on at 87 plus, we had  gentleman that loved guns with a very firearms collection … come the matches , shoot one scenario and then leave. 
We used to have to hold him up when he was at the line shooting 

I've done the same and it's been done for me. A debt I can never repay. But I'll try! Can we have a Tin Man catagory for all the metal in my legs? 

Archived