SASS Wire Forum

Amazon Sidewalk

In an ever expanding effort to create Big Brother Amazon has introduced a program they call Sidwalk.  It links Alexa, Echo, Ring Doorbells and a whole bunch of other devices that use WiFi or Bluetooth together into a unified network.  If you have any of these devices you are automatically included.  I have an Alexa that my daughter gave me in case of emergencies as, I guess, you can tell it to call 911 if you can't reach your phone.  The thing beeps and changes colors but I have no idea what it is doing.  At any rate you can opt out of Sidewalk but it is a PITA finding the opt out procdure as Amazon is not advising people they are even included in Sidewalk.  I did find this article on how to opt out.  In fact, while I was reading the article the Alexa App on my phone was updating to add the opt out feature.  When I got to Sidewalk it was "Enabled."  I clicked on it and now it is disabled.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/living/story/amazon-activates-internet-sharing-service-sidewalk-turn-off-78170286

In the RING app you can turn off Sidewalk in the Control Center. Scroll down til you get there.

I have an Alexa thingie that my daughter & son-in-law gave us and I have a Ring doorbell thingie that I bought 2 years ago when it was Prime Day. 
I have not utilized either of them because of all the silliness that surrounds each. It’s bad enough my phone, that has Siri disabled, randomly says “What was that? I didn’t catch that.” 
Fricken creepy electronics. 

I was looking at new trucks a while back and asked the guy at the Jeep dealer if I could completely disable that infotainment BS system. He immediately started telling me all the great stuff it could do after asking me if I had an Android or an iPhone. 
I walked away as he was talking. 

Thanks for the info on Sidewalk, @Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 I will look at this and make sure it’s off. 

It's just a matter of time before these electronic gizmos conspire to kill us, i.e. turning up the hot water while we're showering or locking us out of our house during a blizzard. We already have killer drones out there hunting down people without human intervention.

Skynet is here.

Never felt a need for Siri or Alexa. One girl at a time is all I can handle

What a dinosaur I am, I'm still wired, no WIFI! I have cable, internet and unlimited data on my phone because of a family plan I'm on with my sons and my ex-wife! They all have WIFI but I don't. I actually don't see any need for it at this time. I'm good to go!;)

Archived