SASS Wire Forum

Tutorials/videos on rifle techniques?

July Smith

Looking for tips and tricks on how to shoot a lever gun faster. 

I have noticed most of the really fast guys at our club don't seem to have all their fingers in the loop but its hard to tell exactly.  I have seen a few youtube videos of Smokestack running a lever gun, but even in slow motion it's hard to tell what is going on.  If anyone has some helpful tips or links to videos that explain how to improve times with a lever gun I would appreciate it. 

Watch this video of Deuce.  Its not a 'technique' video per se, but it does show

his hand position, fingers, thumb position on the stock, etc.....

Notice the lack of recoil movement.  Deuce has total control of his rifle

This is accomplished with solid positioning of the stock on the shoulder

and a good STRONG, FIRM grip on the forearm.

..........Widder

Trigger finger inside the trigger guard, lever opened with middle finger, lever closed with ring finger.  This isn't always possible with stock rifles.  Some action tuning may be necessary to make the action smooth enough that you can cycle with one finger.  I also suggest you consider a straight or slightly profiled trigger.  Trying to go too fast and having that sucker impale the first pad of your trigger finger is NO fun. :wacko:

Don't do what this guy does.  He sucks.  But you may be able to see fingers. Rifle technique

I've watched some of the Longhunter videos. Great stuff there. And the man knows his stuff... won a few things, he did. :D

Seems many have increased their speed when mastering the one finger in technique.   I went to two fingers in a couple of years ago and it seemed to help.  Not sure I want to start a new learning drill with one finger just yet although DD makes it look so easy.  I think much of my downfall in rifle speed is the lack of proper push to shoulder.  But then I am probably 50 years older than DD.....looks like I could get half his speed. :rolleyes:

I, too, enjoy DD's videos.   I had him on my posse over the weekend and he was such a pleasure to see shoot as well as have on posse for p duties.  Super guy.

For current tips and tricks, Dead Eye  Dillard is hands down the best.  Long Hunter Has good info for beginners but some of the info in his video series is a bit dated.  Still good for when you are starting out.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

July forgot to mention that he is Frontiersman.  Doesn't matter how fast you lever it, gotta wait for the smoke to clear before pulling the trigger.  :)

And a good one at that!

But he is obviously asking for Lady and Digging Graves. :)

La Sombra

Let us not forget, beyond Trix and Tech-Knee-Que, there is that awful "P" word.  Most of those really (REALLY) fast folks put in an enormous amount of time at Practice.  Both Dry Fire and Live Fire.  Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of PRACTICE (EVIL WORD).

I, on the other hand, am old enough to not worry about it.  Don't worry . . . .  Be Happy  :D

Archived