SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Knockdowns

Don Jorge

In Wild Bunch, there are NO shotgun make-ups.  The same could be done in Cowboy Action.  Four targets, four shots; those left standing are misses.  If a shotgun target is down, blown over by the wind, not up in the beginning of the stage, whatever,  you would still have to shoot the shot, but it would be a "gimme."  Still, any left standing would be a miss.

I am certain this has been discussed in the past. 

Seemingly arbitrary rule changes cause shooters to leave a sport.  Try putting on a local match match with the shotgun rules you propose then ask for feedback from the club.  Let us know their opinions.

It really wouldn't matter to me. But the game has been played with makeups forever. Why would we change it? It's certainly not a safety issue. And we already have to shoot where it was on down targets. 

16 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

It really wouldn't matter to me. But the game has been played with makeups forever. Why would we change it? It's certainly not a safety issue. And we already have to shoot where it was on down targets. 

It can be a issue. I'd say a solid 90% of the shooters i have told to shoot where the target was,  still shot the downed target.     It seems that it's a hard concept to  grasp to many.  This can result in splash back or damage to targets

I wouldn't make it the rule but I also do on occasion write stages where it is exact round count for shotgun. No makeups,   It adds variety.  

If ALL SG KD's were calibrated equal, and ALL those SG KD's were standardized........

AND if NONE of them changed in calibration after being blasted by a dozen rounds,

then the NO MAKE up idea might have more merit.

But when 4 posses blast away at a weakened KD and the 80th person starts to engage it

there are just times when even a reasonably good hit won't make it fall.

Thats when the shooter deserves a chance to engage it again.

Blast it till its down or otherwise ruled as a prop failure.

But atleast give the shooter a reasonable chance to avoid a Miss penalty for the SG KD's.

..........Widder

Many years ago, a miss on a shotgun target was counted as a miss -- no shotgun makeups.  At least that's the way it was around my neck of the woods in the late 90's - early 2000's.  I'm guessing it changed for a reason.  On rare occasions, I will write a stage where shotgun misses are counted as misses, but it's clearly spelled out in the stage instructions.  We don't do it very often.

1 hour ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Many years ago, a miss on a shotgun target was counted as a miss -- no shotgun makeups.  At least that's the way it was around my neck of the woods in the late 90's - early 2000's.  I'm guessing it changed for a reason.  On rare occasions, I will write a stage where shotgun misses are counted as misses, but it's clearly spelled out in the stage instructions.  We don't do it very often.

edited because I was wrong!

31 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

It can be a issue. I'd say a solid 90% of the shooters i have told to shoot where the target was,  still shot the downed target.     It seems that it's a hard concept to  grasp to many.  This can result in splash back or damage to targets

Are you saying that if someone hits the downed target with a shotgun you call a miss or a penalty on them? Seems overly strict to me. I understand the concern with a downed rifle or pistol, but a shotgun? I guess you could have a housing development directly down range or a playground or something.

STAGE CONVENTIONS

The following stage conventions (stage defaults) should be followed in all SASS matches, unless otherwise directed in the stage descriptions.

- All shotgun knockdown targets may be reengaged until down.

SHB p.13

If you want a specific number of shotgun shots say so or make them something other than a knock down or both.

4 hours ago, Don Jorge said:

In Wild Bunch, there are NO shotgun make-ups.  The same could be done in Cowboy Action.  Four targets, four shots; those left standing are misses.  If a shotgun target is down, blown over by the wind, not up in the beginning of the stage, whatever,  you would still have to shoot the shot, but it would be a "gimme."  Still, any left standing would be a miss.

I am certain this has been discussed in the past. 

Yeah...that'll make this game more fun :wacko:

Now if we can just allow "Gimmes" in Golf, Basketball, Billiards, etc/etc...all would be good...cuz God knows that we can't just stop the shooter, fix the problem, and then let the shooter have a reshoot...nooooooooooo...that would be...not good...

Oy...

14 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Are you saying that if someone hits the downed target with a shotgun you call a miss or a penalty on them? Seems overly strict to me. I understand the concern with a downed rifle or pistol, but a shotgun? I guess you could have a housing development directly down range or a playground or something.

No I never said that.    I said shooting downed targets can create issues.   I've had to fix several targets due to being shot while down.  

25 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

No I never said that.    I said shooting downed targets can create issues.   I've had to fix several targets due to being shot while down.  

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. What exactly is breaking on a downed target that you have to fix as opposed to what you have to do regular maintenance on?

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. What exactly is breaking on a downed target that you have to fix as opposed to what you have to do regular maintenance on?

I have had hinges blown off or packed so full of lead the target can't be reset with out being torn down.   

The others were launchers. The arm and pad took the brunt.  Neither part is designed to take a shotgun blast

We have MGM shotgun targets. They used to have springs in them for an automatic reset.

The base was painted orange and the spotters had to see orange to count as a hit.

The problem we had was one spotter was 4'11" and another was 6'8" they had a totally different view.

One year when we moved props for the winter to the indoor range I took the springs out.

Everyone loved it. Have never had a controversy of weather a shotgun target was  hit since.

Marshal Stone

11 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

For sure, like when they shoot the clay bird launching arm after the it launches. So many times I had to build a new replacement arm!!

And were asked not to shoot the arm after plate was down, and still kept shooting it !!!

Just Sayin!

LSL

3 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

We have MGM shotgun targets. They used to have springs in them for an automatic reset.

The base was painted orange and the spotters had to see orange to count as a hit.

The problem we had was one spotter was 4'11" and another was 6'8" they had a totally different view.

One year when we moved props for the winter to the indoor range I took the springs out.

Everyone loved it. Have never had a controversy of weather a shotgun target was  hit since.

Marshal Stone

Yeah...let's talk about a WR of many years ago...in a Galaxy far...far...away.

:ph34r:

I think it should be the other way around and you should be able to keep shooting at SG targets in WB until they are all down.

At the same time, just once, I'd like to see a stage where all of the rifle and pistol targets are knock downs.   Any that didn't go down, you got back and get with the shotgun.

No way to not shoot that stage clean unless you run outta ammo.

Archived