SASS Wire Forum

Dash cams

Chief Rick

Anybody use one regularly?

I want one to use on my trip to Cheyenne at the end of the month.  As much to video scenery as to catch any mishaps along the way.  We had an Audi sedan blow a right rear tire in front of us on the way back from PA earlier this week and pelt us with debris.

I have a GoPro but it kept overheating and/or faulting, which would stop recording with no warning and no notification.

2 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Anybody use one regularly?

I want one to use on my trip to Cheyenne at the end of the month.  As much to video scenery as to catch any mishaps along the way.  We had an Audi sedan blow a right rear tire in front of us on the way back from PA earlier this week and pelt us with debris.

I have a GoPro but it kept overheating and/or faulting, which would stop recording with no warning and no notification.

Following....

Check out Amazon and read the reviews. That is how my son-in-law found a really good one that he is happy with. If I see him I will ask what brand and model. 

46 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

They're really popular in Russia. Go on YouTube and watch all the footage of people deliberately leaping onto drivers' hoods pretending that they got hit while crossing the street.

Not that popular. It’s just that everyone who does have one sees something weird enough to share.

I bought a cheapo from Walmart a few years ago for like thirty bucks. It works, but programming is a real bear, and it absolutely won't let me program the correct time & date. Here's a snippet last August where one of those hubless/spokeless wheels & tire came off a house trailer being towed down the Interstate just north of Great Falls, rolled/bounced down the median for a distance, then up into the opposing lanes. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My son-in-law says this is a good one. You want 1080p and night vision. 
https://store.kamihome.com/products/yi-nightscape-dash-cam

10% one-star reviews on Amazon... that's pretty bad.

My son put them in three work trucks, my wife's car and Kaya's truck. Pretty handy to have. They turn on with the vehicle but can be ran when off also

41 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

My son put them in three work trucks, my wife's car and Kaya's truck. Pretty handy to have. They turn on with the vehicle but can be ran when off also

Which ones?

This is what I bought for the motor home.  Love the way the camera connects to the mount, magnetic.

https://www.vava.com/products/1080p-dual-dash-cam?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1s7W9cCL8QIVTGxvBB2g3gT8EAUYASABEgKZr_D_BwE

2 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

:lol: That link is a loop that takes the Amazon user who clicks on it to their own "buy again" page!

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

:lol: That link is a loop that takes the Amazon user who clicks on it to their own "buy again" page!

Yea…I fixed it.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

Which ones?

He really likes the Garmin Mini. I've seen the video it takes, and audio is really clear. 

I have one.  A few years ago it recorded an accident in an intersection I was approaching.  The insurance adjusters were delighted to have video.  It made them eye witnesses to the wreck.  High resolution video is important.  You need to read the license plate numbers on other vehicles.

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I bought a cheapo from Walmart a few years ago for like thirty bucks. It works, but programming is a real bear, and it absolutely won't let me program the correct time & date. Here's a snippet last August where one of those hubless/spokeless wheels & tire came off a house trailer being towed down the Interstate just north of Great Falls, rolled/bounced down the median for a distance, then up into the opposing lanes. 

I heard of one on the radio not long ago where a wheel came off a vehicle, went thru a woman's windshield and killed her. I think someone was suing a tire shop for not tightening the lug nuts right.

JHC

I have a VIOFO with front and rear cameras and I think it’s 4K. Just have to buy a separate memory card and once you hook it up it will turn on automatically when you start the car. You have to hide the wires. Also keep in mind if you want GPS to show your speed that is a separate option but could be very handy if someone was trying to give you a ticket and you can show what your speed was the entire time. I’ve read about a lot of scams that the dash cameras can prevent

I had one a few years ago.  It was cheap.  After a month or so the image turned upside down and I couldn't figure out why.  I could mount the camera upside down to get video right side up, but then all the date and time info was upside down.  Then it started cutting out in the middle of the drives so I trashed it.  Next time I will spend a bit more money.  I see weird stuff all the time too. 

Can be really handy if you get in an accident.  Of course if you are the cause of the accident you can do a Rosemary Woods (Nixon's secretary) and make it magically disappear.

If you have a camera operating, and you are at fault of an incident, might be real handy to know how to pull the memory card quickly...they are really small....oops forgot to have a card in it officer...

2 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

If you have a camera operating, and you are at fault of an incident, might be real handy to know how to pull the memory card quickly...they are really small....oops forgot to have a card in it officer...

If you have an incident, and you are at fault, why not just own up to it?

On 6/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, JD Lud said:

I have a VIOFO with front and rear cameras and I think it’s 4K. Just have to buy a separate memory card and once you hook it up it will turn on automatically when you start the car. You have to hide the wires. Also keep in mind if you want GPS to show your speed that is a separate option but could be very handy if someone was trying to give you a ticket and you can show what your speed was the entire time. I’ve read about a lot of scams that the dash cameras can prevent

Your video with a speed stamp could also work against you too.  And if caught destroying evidence…

I think in some circumstances owning up to it is exactly the right thing.  I could think of some instances where an opposing attorney would go to any lengths to take everything you had and handing them a tool to do that could turn out very badly despite good and honest intentions.  Owning up while not handing them further ammunition is not out of line.

I have them in my van, my son's and the motor home.

Had a very aggressive Road Rager back off quickly when he saw he was on Candid Camera! 

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have them in my van, my son's and the motor home.

Had a very aggressive Road Rager back off quickly when he saw he was on Candid Camera! 

Care to share what you use and how you easy it is download video?  How much video can it record on a specific size memory card before it starts to automatically overwrite?  What is the max size memory card it can hold?

They are "Twister Dash Cams" #4SK909. I bought them on sale at Canadian Tire a few years ago.

I don't really download much from them, unless there is an incident I want to keep.

Easy download into my PC if required, from the 32GB mini SD cards. Just plug and play.

They are 720 pixel and you can set the camera to do loop recording.

Likely a lot better on the market now, but these work well enough for us right now.

I have an Azuga brand in my work van.  It has both a camera that faces out front and a camera that faces me(the driver).  I guess it automatically uploads if there is an accident.  They got put in so the big boss man can save 30% on his auto insurance.  I couldn't tell you how the quality is, just that I was the safest driver for the month of April.  They do also have GPS hooked in also and they automatically turn on when the key is on or if it senses movement even if the key is off.  I don't know if this helps you or not, but figured I would share.

Red Wolf

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Garmin Dash Cam 56 prior to our recent trip out west.  It does not come with a micro-SD card so I bought a SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS EVO Select 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card to go in it.

It records videos in one minute increments and automatically starts recording when external power is supplied.  It will continually record and overwrite data unless you remove the external power cord or manually turn it off.  It does have a built-in battery but I can't tell you how long it will last.

The unit comes with a hexagonal metal plate that you adhere to your windshield, and the camera has an articulating mount with magnet that attaches to that.

You can also take pictures while recording video by pressing one button.

As a dash-cam it works pretty good.  It's plug and play simple. It has a wide field of view.  It also has "alerts" built in (that can also be disabled): lane assist, forward collision and traffic movement.

The video and pics show date, time, latitude, longitude and speed in the frame.

I am not impressed with the clarity of phot or video.

The below pic is from the Wind River Canyon in Wyoming:

image.thumb.png.89c19f1bb185159c8876f461e890bb5a.png

The following is a video clip from the same time period.  It picks up audio VERY good.  I don't think the video quality is great.  If all you want is a dash cam to capture unexpected events, I think it'll be a good choice.  If you want a camera to capture and share videos of your adventures, I'd pass on this model.

Archived