SASS Wire Forum

Cup of coffee

"Cup of coffee" is a baseball colloquialism meaning a player gets a temporary call-up to the next level to play as a substitute for a game or two.  It's an opportunity for the coaching staff to see if he is ready for that level, or to identify what he needs to work on before moving up permanently.  Yesterday I got a call for my cup of coffee at the collegiate level of umpiring.  An umpire had to cancel at the last minute, and the other umpire happens to be my mentor.  He advocated to the assignor to give me a cup of coffee and to have me work the plate.

I was jazzed.  My whole goal of umpiring is to work at the collegiate level (I don't want to be a full-time professional, as they get paid diddly squat unless they are one of the chosen few who make it to the MLB, which is typically an 8-15 year journey through the minor leagues at $30k per year).  I pressed my uniforms one more time (always bring uniforms for both the plate and the bases in case something changes last minute!), and shined my plate and base shoes again, even though they were already pressed and shined.

About 9 pm I got a text from my mentor:  Game cancelled, stay home tomorrow. 

The cup of coffee will have to wait.  Oh well.  No one died.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

"Cup of coffee" is a baseball colloquialism meaning a player gets a temporary call-up to the next level to play as a substitute for a game or two.  It's an opportunity for the coaching staff to see if he is ready for that level, or to identify what he needs to work on before moving up permanently.  Yesterday I got a call for my cup of coffee at the collegiate level of umpiring.  An umpire had to cancel at the last minute, and the other umpire happens to be my mentor.  He advocated to the assignor to give me a cup of coffee and to have me work the plate.

I was jazzed.  My whole goal of umpiring is to work at the collegiate level (I don't want to be a full-time professional, as they get paid diddly squat unless they are one of the chosen few who make it to the MLB, which is typically an 8-15 year journey through the minor leagues at $30k per year).  I pressed my uniforms one more time (always bring uniforms for both the plate and the bases in case something changes last minute!), and shined my plate and base shoes again, even though they were already pressed and shined.

About 9 pm I got a text from my mentor:  Game cancelled, stay home tomorrow. 

The cup of coffee will have to wait.  Oh well.  No one died.

That is like going to Disney Land, and finding the gates closed!

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

why would they do that ? ........ did the rat escape or something ????   :huh:

Ever see the movie Summer Vacation with Chevy Chase? 

21 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Could be worse.

As I was leaving EOT in '02, a RV pulled up.:o

Oh MAN!!!

Yup!

Just a few years back, when EOT went 'forward' one week, a guy showed up for the match early. Thank goodness he was retired...came back the next week!!

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... only watched enough to realise that it was worse than Seinfeld ........   :blink:

I'd have to differ. NOTHING was worse than Seinfeld.

JHC :P

Archived