SASS Wire Forum

Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt.

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

ever wonder why they chose a desolate area like that ? gotta be cause there is nothing else to be mistaken for it 

In the time of the Pharaohs Egypt was not a desert. It was lush and fertile land. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In the time of the Pharaohs Egypt was not a desert. It was lush and fertile land. 

Yeah, but they ruined it with internal combustion engines, plastic bags, chemical fertilizers, and spray cans, etc.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not completely. The Egyptians differentiated between the desert area and the fertile Nile valley by calling the desert the Red Land and the river valley the Black Land due to the soils.

I saw the pyramids in 1982. My ship pulled into Alexandria Egypt. I managed to sneak a ride in a tour bus full of my shipmates but once we arrived at the pyramids the tour guides realized I hadn’t paid so I had to hang out in the parking lot. Believe it or not, under armed guard. They told the cops I was a “stow away”. :lol: 

I didn’t get up close to the pyramids, but I got to see them. I didn’t get to ride back with my shipmates either, but I managed to finagle a ride with another tour bus. 
Oh, the cops wouldn’t let me take pictures either. 

tunnel.thumb.jpeg.2bde2b4b292e995950bb8f98c2c6aacf.jpegsphinx.thumb.jpeg.573ba45efdb20d7cd04e20b8932aecba.jpeggiza.thumb.jpeg.e23e306eb91dfae4cb1636f14d476bfd.jpeg

I found myself in Egypt in October of 2001, shortly after the 9-11 attack, and got to visit the pyramids at Giza.  I was a 2LT back then.  I have a very funny story about running around Alexandria with two interpreters and an Egyptian driver, all in civilian clothes, carrying an M9 pistol and a gas mask in that man bag you see draped over my shoulder.

Sad part about that Part of World:  after seeing it you wonder what they are fighting about.  Nothing like doing the ditch over and over again: always was afraid a big cat was going to come over the dunes and use us for a litter box. ;)

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

tunnel.thumb.jpeg.2bde2b4b292e995950bb8f98c2c6aacf.jpegsphinx.thumb.jpeg.573ba45efdb20d7cd04e20b8932aecba.jpeggiza.thumb.jpeg.e23e306eb91dfae4cb1636f14d476bfd.jpeg

I found myself in Egypt in October of 2001, shortly after the 9-11 attack, and got to visit the pyramids at Giza.  I was a 2LT back then.  I have a very funny story about running around Alexandria with two interpreters and an Egyptian driver, all in civilian clothes, carrying an M9 pistol and a gas mask in that man bag you see draped over my shoulder.

Your photo brought back a memory.  Going down into the pyramid was really spooky.  A little "tip" got you into the pyramid and the Cairo museum after hours.

53 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Your photo brought back a memory.  Going down into the pyramid was really spooky.  A little "tip" got you into the pyramid and the Cairo museum after hours.

Baksheesh makes the world go round. <_<

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The top of the Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt.

FB_IMG_1623200858584.jpg

Can you imagine being the worker putting the last of those stones in place, and the foreman runs up and says "Wait, hold on a minute! The preist says we're about 100 yards off-target and and need to move this whole thing..." :blink:

On 6/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

The top of the Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt.

FB_IMG_1623200858584.jpg

I'm certain that's just a big version of Jenga. :lol:

Archived