SASS Wire Forum

Clays cowboy load for 12 gauge

Dan Druff

New member, long time lurker. I was referred here by Silver Creek Jack. Anyways, I was given a VersaMec by my father in law. Im in the process of ordering stuff to get started with it. I was able to scrounge some Clay's powder(the only powder I was able to find at the time). I looked on Hodgdon's website and the lowest power load data they have still pushes over 1,000fps. I was hoping one of the cowboys or cowgirls here might have some load data for lower recoil reloads. I'm using Win AA hulls, 7/8 or 1 oz shot, and Remington 209 primers. If we aren't allowed to publish load data in the forums, feel free to PM me. Or feel free to recommend a better suited powder if Clay's won't work well for what I'm wanting to do. Thanks for any advice yall can provide.

14.4 grains Clays or Clay Dot

3/4 ounce pink Claybuster wads

3/4 ounce 7.5 or 8 shot

This will reset inertial trigger on SKB

any primer

any hull

Try browsing here: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/279362-your-favorite-12ga-load-for-cas/

I've had good success with:

Clays

Win AA HS Hull

Win 209 Primer or Cheddite

13.9 grains Clays, (MEC #25)

Claybusters CB0178-12 Wad

7/8 oz #8 Shot

I use a #24 bushing of Clays with 7/8 oz shot and a #25 bushing of Clays with a 1 oz load of shot.  Use the appropriate wad for whatever load of shot you use.

Kajun

13.3 clays with 1oz shot.

Sorry. Don't remember the bushing #

Never have a problem with SG targets.

Light enough that the wife likes this load also. 

A #26 MEC bushing throws 14.4 gr of Clays in my MEC Sizemaster.

Use with Claybuster CB0178-12 (gray) wads in Winchester (new style) AA hulls with any 209 primer.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

15 grs of Clays. 1 oz #7 1/2 shot, 

This is my load.

Remington STS hull

Remington STS primer

Pink claybuster wad.

As a relatively sloppy shotgun shooter even a marginal hit on a KD will take it down and a center hit is authoritive.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

#23 MEC bushing,throws about 13.4 grains of Clay-Dot.Claybuster 178-12 gray wads, new series AA hull ,and 15/16 oz #8 shot.

Soft recoil and handles knockdowns with ease.

Choctaw

Thanks again everyone, I'm going to order a few different bushings to copy some of your loads and see which one works best for me. I appreciate you all!

I guess I run a bit hotter than most on here.  I like 7/8 oz at 1250.  Works well for sporting clays and sass.  If I remember right it’s 17.5g, rem or win primer, rem or win aahs hull, down range xxl wad in rem hulls, duster wads green duster in aahs hulls.  I like how the 1 oz wads fit in the aahs hull as they seem a bit shorter than the compression formed aa’s and rem hulls. 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bingo Montana said:

Try browsing here: https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/279362-your-favorite-12ga-load-for-cas/

I've had good success with:

Clays

Win AA HS Hull

Win 209 Primer or Cheddite

13.9 grains Clays, (MEC #25)

Claybusters CB0178-12 Wad

7/8 oz #8 Shot

I just loaded 50 or so of exactly these until I ran out of hulls. I had been using Extralite but balked at the 8 pounder I found online that would have netted $50 a pound delivered. It's gone to someone else now of course. I had a pound of Clays and had made note of this load some time ago. I have Red Dot and Green Dot too, 800x, even plenty of Unique.

The nice thing about the Clays load is that it uses the same #25 bushing I had been using for Extralite. Same hull and wad too. STS hulls, same thing.

STS or AA hull

gray wad

any primer

7/8 oz of shot (who really cares if it’s 7.5, 8, or 9)

#26 mec bushing of clays or clay dot

or for more fun

STS or AA hull

winchester white wad

any primer

1 oz shot

#37 bashing of FFG goex 

Those two loads have treated me very well 

I was able to scrounge some Clay's powder(the only powder I was able to find at the time)"

That's my 1st choice for powder. Pistol, rifle, shotgun. One powder does all. 

I know you only asked about SG, but I load .38sp 125gr RNFP for pistol, and 147gr. truncated cone for rifle. Both with 2.7gr. of powder

On 6/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, Dan Druff said:

Thanks again everyone, I'm going to order a few different bushings to copy some of your loads and see which one works best for me. I appreciate you all!

Told ya! How can you beat this place?  SCJ

1 hour ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Told ya! How can you beat this place?  SCJ

You were right, everyone here seems very helpful. I love this sport and the people involved!

I load my 38s the same as Marshal Chance.

I've been experimenting with soft Clays loads for my buckaroo, Kid Flash.  For the last match he was shooting 13.2 of Clays with 1 oz of #8 grey Claybuster wads, Federal 209A primers, and Win AA once fired hulls.  He was willing to shoot the entire match with those, but I could tell they were hitting him harder than he liked and I was pretty sure I could do better.

This last run I loaded 12.8 of Clays with 7/8 oz of #8, grey Claybuster wads, Federal 209A primers and Win AA once fired hulls.  This is probably where I'll stay until he gets big enough for standard featherlite loads.

16 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I had been using Extralite but balked at the 8 pounder...

Q: what is your Extra-Lite load?

On paper, 9.6 grains yields a 980 fps load with 3/4 oz shot, STS hulls and CB0178-12 wad.
This is the closest I have been able to approximate the AA Featherlite loads.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Q: what is your Extra-Lite load?

On paper, 9.6 grains yields a 980 fps load with 3/4 oz shot, STS hulls and CB0178-12 wad.
This is the closest I have been able to approximate the AA Featherlite loads.

MEC #25 bushing, 7/8 chilled #8 shot, grey wad, WinAA, STS, or Federal Gold Medal hulls. Same load in Fiocchi Target hulls (6 point) but with a Lightning wad. This is an Alliant load or extrapolated from one. The catch was the MEC bushing #  reference was off and took some experimenting to get the grains yield desired. It may not be the ultimate light load for CAS or a feather lite wannabe. I like it fine in my Baikal MP220 that came with a pad.

On paper, MEC #25 drops 14.8 grains of ExtraLite.
Did you measure your grain weight?
Just curious if your actual weight matches the MEC predicted weight.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I load my 38s the same as Marshal Chance.

I knew you were a smart person.:lol:

And if you have time, meet up with those shootings buddies of mine at EoT. I think you'll find them to be a great bunch of people.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

On paper, MEC #25 drops 14.8 grains of ExtraLite.
Did you measure your grain weight?
Just curious if your actual weight matches the MEC predicted weight.

I had hoped to point out that it required #25 to get the recommended weight, 13 something as I recall..

Archived