SASS Wire Forum

Totally not SASS related, but this BUGS me!!!

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

We're  fortunate to be by the ocean; mosquitos don't like salt water or wind, and we rarely see one.  As in all things having to do with Nature, there are trade-offs - we suffer miserably in August from greenheads and deer flies - miserable biting, blood-sucking creatures that take a piece of flesh and skin when they bite, and will harass you in the yard or even out on the boat.  Thankfully, they are slow and big, and if you are alert, you can usually smack them into a green splat.

download.png

download.jpg

The deer flies are bad at the cabin as well!!! Those little beasts can sure cause a blood spot to appear!

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I want to find some plants they hate and replace all of our shrubbery.  But it's got to be a very low maintenance plant or it won't survive.  I've failed to grow weeds (bluebonnets) for 10 years running. 

I believe most of the plants listed are hearty/low maintainence and ground cover...

I just need to see how they do in deer country!

I wonder how Swallows would handle the gunfire on the range facilities?

Besides the dedicated CAS ranch and range, we have numerous rifle, shotgun and pistol shooting bays.

Here are some alternate possibilities for mosquito control if you're in an area that gets anal about the insecticide in a fogger.

Flamethrower 900.jpg

Flamethrower 1500.jpg

36 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Along the Mississippi Delta, the only thing that kills mosquitos are Fighter aircraft with air to air missiles.  Good luck!

Luckily, it is only a short season of them!!!

It could be worse things!

Sue,

My Mom lived in OK,between to large lakes.When I would visit her the mosquitos would about carry me away.She was hardly ever bitten.Her secret,according to her was drinking diluted apple cider vinegar and taking sulphur capsules every day.

I never tried them,but seemed to work for her.

Choctaw Jack 

23 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

remember memaw using her 'sweat towel' from her neck to thwart wasps!!!

Greenheads (flies) require a little more effort. When they bite, they latch on & a mere swat won't come close to dislodging them.

18 hours ago, watab kid said:

i would like a solution that only involved digesting things i like to eat but then i suppose thats a lot to ask 

I have some of that issue as well...hugs and prayers!

Problem is, I replace what I can't digest (and enjoy) with things I shouldn't.

Archived