SASS Wire Forum

Totally not SASS related, but this BUGS me!!!

For those if you who live and deal with mesquitos...

HELP!!!

The little buggers eat me up!!! At the cabin, there is a stagnant pond near by...and two streams on each side...one stream has constant flow, but the other does not...so, quite a bit of standing water.

besides the oldtimers "throw some gasoline in it" solution...what do you use that is effective?

20210605_200927.jpg

Deep Woods Off spray on your clothes, hat, scarf around your neck, long sleeved shirt. Minimize exposed skin.  They are attracted to carbon dioxide, so don’t breathe too much!  :)

Thermacell units work well.  Different sizes for different applications.  They emit CO2 and zap the buggers.  Lots of hunters use the personal sized ones but they make bigger units for patios etc.  I've used one once but others swear by them.

1 minute ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Thermacell units work well.  Different sizes for different applications.  They emit CO2 and zap the buggers.  Lots of hunters use the personal sized ones but they make bigger units for patios etc.  I've used one once but others swear by them.

Shanley had heard about those.

We will look into them.

We treated the 'pond' last year...but I fear there are just too many breeding grounds. 

There is a biocontrol in the form of Mosquito bits that works well for small areas.  Available at most Lowes, etc or get from amazon.  Eliminate all the standing water you can except for one small spot you know they are using to lay eggs and treat that.   Eat more garlic and get the Thermocell mentioned....it really works.

Matter of fact I often keep water in a shallow dish just for the skeeters to lay in.  Once a week it gets kicked over and refilled with fresh water.   All the little wrigglies make good snacks for the fire ants.

Howdy,

My sister has a little cabin in da UP.

They have fleets of mosquitos all the time.

Vinegar on your salads and garlic on your pasta said to help.

I sprayed some test areas on the window screens.

Bugs sure didnt like Off.

Spray around doors to slow them coming in....

Check all screens and windows. Patch or plug anywhere you can.

Perhaps your neighborhood might chip in to get area sprayed???

Or move somewhere with no mosquitos...?

Best

CR

17 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

There is a biocontrol in the form of Mosquito bits that works well for small areas.  Available at most Lowes, etc or get from amazon.  Eliminate all the standing water you can except for one small spot you know they are using to lay eggs and treat that.   Eat more garlic and get the Thermocell mentioned....it really works.

Matter of fact I often keep water in a shallow dish just for the skeeters to lay in.  Once a week it gets kicked over and refilled with fresh water.   All the little wrigglies make good snacks for the fire ants.

Hmmmmm....did the biobits...

Never thought about giving them a laying area I could control!

Yes....GARLIC 

Good thing Shanley is a garlic lover!!!

I grew up on the edge of the Everglades and then went to Vietnam and then worked as a Park Ranger. I have serious experience with mosquitoes. There are numerous ways nowadays to mitigate the pests. Natural  methods like using Gambusia in standing ponds and green type repellents are what I prefer. The electronic zappers are also good. Do not use perfume. It attracts them. Citronella candles are somewhat effective.

I used to give a program to campers. I told them mosquitoes like the shade so stay out of it.
They are attracted to light clothing so wear dark clothes.

Don’t use perfume or deodorant.

They are also attracted to carbon dioxide so try not to breathe a lot. :lol:

Pour vegetable oil in all standing water. Doesn't take much. Large can't breath through it. Buy a fogger. I use mine for skeeters and deer flies up north.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

For those if you who live and deal with mesquitos...

HELP!!!

The little buggers eat me up!!! At the cabin, there is a stagnant pond near by...and two streams on each side...one stream has constant flow, but the other does not...so, quite a bit of standing water.

besides the oldtimers "throw some gasoline in it" solution...what do you use that is effective?

Start shooting heavy loads of black powder!  The 10 gauge and I become very popular on the posse on a buggy day  :D

Or you check out these two links:

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/alternative-mosquito-repellents

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/plants-that-repel-mosquitoes/

Howdy,

I did a little looking on the web.

Seems some plants are anti mosquito

Some parts of the country have little standing water so less bugs.

You might go looking on the web for ideas.

I imagine some birds eat em too.

Best

CR

As has been said before, eat garlic. Mosquitoes don't like the taste.

Also they don't like the taste of nicotine, although I would not suggest starting to smoke if you were not already a smoker.

Birds - yes! Put up some starling nest boxes, and have your homegrown mosquito killers. Even better, build some bat boxes. Ain't nothing a bat likes better than mosquitoes.

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

As has been said before, eat garlic. Mosquitoes don't like the taste.

Also they don't like the taste of nicotine, although I would not suggest starting to smoke if you were not already a smoker.

I did smoke...but I think they liked the menthol!!!

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Birds - yes! Put up some starling nest boxes, and have your homegrown mosquito killers. Even better, build some bat boxes. Ain't nothing a bat likes better than mosquitoes.

Neighbors would wring my neck with bat boxes!!!

Have a bat in the attics problem....so want them to find the caves in the mountains!!!

And many birds we have...

Will try some of the plants, if the deer will keep off them!

Stock the pond and the slow stream with gambusia.  Spray yourself with OFF and treat your clothes with pyrethrin.

Put up a condo for purple martins.

Duffield

Bays are awesome! They even used them as weapons in WW2.

Dragonflies work  great. I don’t think you can breed em though.

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This advice is 100% spot on. Let nature do its thing.

You can also use Dry Ice to keep them away, Put it away from where you'll be in chunks, it draws them to it and when they land on it it kills them instantly. No harmful chemicals to worry about.

You could invite me over. Mosquitoes  love me. With me around no one else gets bit. I, on the other hand, get eaten alive. :lol:

The following methods that work for others do not work for me:

Garlic - they buzz in Italian and eat me alive. 
Cigarettes- when I smoked I was convinced they liked Marlboros too. 
Light or dark clothing - doesn’t matter. 
Deep woods Off - keeps other bugs away so mosquitoes have me as a their own buffet. 

My rates are cheap. :D

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You could invite me over. Mosquitoes  love me. With me around no one else gets bit. I, on the other hand, get eaten alive. :lol:

The following methods that work for others do not work for me:

Garlic - they buzz in Italian and eat me alive. 
Cigarettes- when I smoked I was convinced they liked Marlboros too. 
Light or dark clothing - doesn’t matter. 
Deep woods Off - keeps other bugs away so mosquitoes have me as a their own buffet. 

My rates are cheap. :D

You just described me and mosquitoes although Deep Woods would generally keep them away.

Sue,

They also like people who drink beer due to the "beer" sweat. Other alcohol based drinks have a similar effect.

Mosquitoes can't fly good in a steady somewhat brisk breeze, use a decent fan to keep a moderate wind on you...you won't get bit too much if at all. The fans have served me the best of anything and combined with DWO is the best I've experienced protection.

Mosquitoes don't travel great distances for food (you) and only the female seeks blood. Eliminate (if possible) the closest breeding water and work your way out from there.

If you live on the edge of a swamp or the like, you can forget about mosquito control....use the fans and DWO...it's the only thing that's going to work IMO.

DO NOT get Deep Woods Off on your guns or anything that is blued. You won't like the results.

We have a fogger at The Square Circle Ranch for the bad mozzie days. Between that and those shooting Holy Black, we pretty well keep them at bay, even though our ranch is in the woods.

We will have to think a lot about bat boxes, but swallow boxes sound like a good idea.

As for Dragon flies, the Province of Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, here in Canada bred them and released them along a mozzie hot spot, The Rideau Canal system, near Westport.

It was quite a sight; squadrons of dragon flies patrolling the edge of the Rideau River, Canal and bush area, clearing the mozzies out.

I don't know if the Province is still doing it; we are no longer cottaging on that waterway.

Sue, I am glad you posted this. It reminds me not to even consider retirement in my home state of Pennsylvania. The fleas and mosquitoes used to drive me nuts there. 

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

but swallow boxes sound like a good idea.

Yeah, build you some apartment houses.

8824a829ba04893fb3feb2d1dbe41dce.jpg

purple_martin_house_usfws-.jpg

800px-Griggsville,_Illinois.jpg

notice the sign on the building wall in that bottom one

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

My sister has a little cabin in da UP.

They have fleets of mosquitos all the time.

Vinegar on your salads and garlic on your pasta said to help.

I sprayed some test areas on the window screens.

Bugs sure didnt like Off.

Spray around doors to slow them coming in....

Check all screens and windows. Patch or plug anywhere you can.

Perhaps your neighborhood might chip in to get area sprayed???

Or move somewhere with no mosquitos...?

Best

CR

We don't have issues inside...but certain times of day in the spring to be outside is miserable.

I do believe the spray is done each year...but it is forrest, not a lot of help there.

2 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

You can also use Dry Ice to keep them away, Put it away from where you'll be in chunks, it draws them to it and when they land on it it kills them instantly. No harmful chemicals to worry about.

This would be an easy  for the 'pond'

51 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

You just described me and mosquitoes although Deep Woods would generally keep them away.

Sue,

They also like people who drink beer due to the "beer" sweat. Other alcohol based drinks have a similar effect.

Mosquitoes can't fly good in a steady somewhat brisk breeze, use a decent fan to keep a moderate wind on you...you won't get bit too much if at all. The fans have served me the best of anything and combined with DWO is the best I've experienced protection.

Mosquitoes don't travel great distances for food (you) and only the female seeks blood. Eliminate (if possible) the closest breeding water and work your way out from there.

If you live on the edge of a swamp or the like, you can forget about mosquito control....use the fans and DWO...it's the only thing that's going to work IMO.

DO NOT get Deep Woods Off on your guns or anything that is blued. You won't like the results.

I think you said it all.

Between 2 creek beds and a pond... It is the forrest version of a swamp.

Too much area to control...

But the 'zapper' and all other things might help my little zone.

3 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

OMG! That is a brilliant idea!

Too bad obtaining dry ice is not very convenient.

We're  fortunate to be by the ocean; mosquitos don't like salt water or wind, and we rarely see one.  As in all things having to do with Nature, there are trade-offs - we suffer miserably in August from greenheads and deer flies - miserable biting, blood-sucking creatures that take a piece of flesh and skin when they bite, and will harass you in the yard or even out on the boat.  Thankfully, they are slow and big, and if you are alert, you can usually smack them into a green splat.

download.png

download.jpg

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

greenheads and deer flies

You gotta carry your towel to beat 'em off with.

Archived