SASS Wire Forum

M1 Carbines

Forty bucks for a Saginaw back in the early 80's (fella had no use for it).

Hm.  Since I've never found a "pointy thing" for it, mebbe I just oughtta should remove the bayonet lug and avoid temptation...?  ^_^

Saginaw.jpeg.c06f581dce6f824a65fa64a1a1f8925f.jpeg

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not a problem. I’m gonna bore and rechamber mine to .357. I have an awesome set of TV repair tools.

I'm feeling kinda sick..... But that would be fun!

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not a problem. I’m gonna bore and rechamber mine to .357. I have an awesome set of TV repair tools.

As long as you're getting out your TV repair tools (and your Dremel and your three different sizes of hammers), don't stop with a piddly 357.

Convert it all the way up to 44 Mangle-'em. And take out that sissy gas automatic action while you're at it, because you know sooner or later they're going to make automatics illegal.

Convert it to a manly-man pump action.

If Universal can do it, then by ding-dang Bob can do it.

Universal Vulcan 44 magnum pump.jpg

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Hm.  Since I've never found a "pointy thing" for it, mebbe I just oughtta should remove the bayonet lug and avoid temptation...?  ^_^

NO , you need a pointy bit , its just part of being prepared and handy as well , ive always had a proper one for every piece in my accumulation , ive parted with many as i parted with the collections but ive retained those for the rifles ive kept , never know when they might be needed again 

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

You don't wanna do that.  It'll bugger up the barrel.  Tell ya what, I'll give you $45 for it and you can use that money to buy yourself one without the lug.  Adjusted for inflation $45 in 1980 would be $145 today, so I'll go that high.  Don't want anyone to think I'm trying to get one over on ya. 

Howdy,

Rechamber to 357 mag? Hows about 357 MAX?

I bet that would be fun.

Ive talked to several smths about 357 max lever guns.

Very expensive conversion and no promises on reliability.

One suggested one of the full rifle cartriges being downsized.

Not worth it. No real reason other than having something different.

REEEEL different.

A single shot might be an idea.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Just got an e-mail saying mine is ready to ship (6/10). Estimated arrival - 6/9!:huh:

Time travel???

It’s out for delivery! The bummer was I had to have it shipped to my LGS. My C&R expired two weeks ago and I haven’t gotten it back from BATF yet.  :angry:

42 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s out for delivery! The bummer was I had to have it shipped to my LGS. My C&R expired two weeks ago and I haven’t gotten it back from BATF yet.  :angry:

Well, at least you're not in WA state where you would likely have to wait 3-4 weeks waiting for Big Brother to give you permission to pick it up.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Did I pay too much? Yeah. Do I care? Nope. :P

As Master Sergeant Hooks told me when I bought a S&W Revolver that I wanted, but I didn't really need, and I wondered if I was foolish.
"It's your money!  You can spend it foolishly any way you want!!

The S&W revolver was a K22 Masterpiece.  Master Sergeant Hooks was a philosopher.

Mine showed at the LGS yesterday and I grabbed it this morning. I put the Visa card on the line at 0637 on Tuesday on one of the few remaining G to VG Winchesters. I've never owned one, never fired one, but the chance that this one was carried by a young man that had anything to do with bringing the war to a close in Europe in 1945 was a strong motivator. The numbers say it was built in '42 and it was in shootable condition right out of the box. No cleaning and no cosmoline anywhere to be seen. A quick review tells me I have a later rear sight but everything else seems to be OK.  I'm pretty pleased.

M1 Carbine.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 1:14 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well I HAD a Winchester and an Inland , until the girls took off with em , don't get to play with em 

BUT , I still reload for em , the girls go through lots of ammo 

CB 

Funny how that works. 

If I hadn’t bought a replica a few years ago, I’d have picked up one of these. At that time, the “originals” were going for $1500 & up and you had to be pretty savvy to avoid picking one up that was worn out. 

Congrats to those of you who got one. They are awesome to play with! Hope you possess or can find ammo for them. 

On breaking it down I found the stock to be a Springfield, the hand guard a Rock-Ola, International Register rear sight and Underwood barrel. :D

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

On breaking it down I found the stock to be a Springfield, the hand guard a Rock-Ola, International Register rear sight and Underwood barrel. :D

A Mutt!:lol:

(Can't wait to see what I find.)

Every time I open this thread, I kick myself for not getting one. On top of that, early this morning (before it got way too hot), I went to an outdoor flea market. Spotted 3 - M1 Carbine mags. They had some light surface rust but overall condition was not too bad. The guy wanted $10 each for them...so it's back to kicking myself again for not picking up the mags. 

31 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Every time I open this thread, I kick myself for not getting one.

12 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Me too! :D Oh well.

Looks like we need to bump this thread everyday so Cypress and 3ft can get their daily calisthenics in.  Don't ferget to work both legs fellas. 

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Looks like we need to bump this thread everyday so Cypress and 3ft can get their daily calisthenics in.  Don't ferget to work both legs fellas. 

It's like a car crash...."I'm not going to look, I'm not going to look.....damn it, I looked".:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Every time I open this thread, I kick myself for not getting one. On top of that, early this morning (before it got way too hot), I went to an outdoor flea market. Spotted 3 - M1 Carbine mags. They had some light surface rust but overall condition was not too bad. The guy wanted $10 each for them...so it's back to kicking myself again for not picking up the mags. 

Well I kick myself every time I open a CMP 1911s thread.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Every time I open this thread, I kick myself for not getting one. 

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Me too! :D Oh well.

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well I kick myself every time I open a CMP 1911s thread.

I'll be sure to post pics of the CMP 1911 again and the M1 Carbine when I get my hands on it.:P

1 minute ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I'll be sure to post pics of the CMP 1911 again and the M1 Carbine when I get my hands on it.:P

(Sarcastic mode on) - Thanks, Thanks a lot.

(Cat like curiosity) - Thanks, Thanks a lot.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

On 6/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, Cypress Sun said:

(Sarcastic mode on) - Thanks, Thanks a lot.

(Cat like curiosity) - Thanks, Thanks a lot.

100_1982.thumb.JPG.2e628d5bea61965accc3cc99b19002d8.JPG

Royal Tiger Imports has a few of the M1 Carbines they imported from Ethiopia left.   https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1900.htm

Howdy

fyi tiger prices from 1200 to 2000 or so.

mags at 20 bucks dont seem to bad.

Other parts some in stock some not.

I might look at gb.....

Best

CR

box ammo 955 for 1080 plus actual ship.  on gb now. th morning 6 17 21.

Archived