SASS Wire Forum

M1 Carbines

The sale from Midway starts in 6 minutes!

Just out of curiosity I went to look at these carbines and it dawned on me that in 1990 I paid $129 for my first Underwood. That same year I was offered a brand new S&W 586 for $289. It was on sale. 

My how things have changed. 

Wow, what a price. Dad paid $20 for his back in the early 60's. Box, rifle, 3 magazines, double magazine pouch, cleaning kit. But, $20 could buy a lot back then.

The days of barrels of carbines sitting in the corner of the surplus store are long gone fellas. And they ain’t comin back. My dad bought a house for $6,000 too. And I bought a Randall knife for $150.

Time  marches on. :D

Got one

Did I pay too much? Yeah. Do I care? Nope. :P

Just Inlands left. Was hoping for a Saginaw G. Made in Grand Rapids. Oh well. Someday. Job got in the way again today. 

Howdy,

If you missed out just think thats another caliber you dont have to

look for.

If you relate prices to the price of gold you get a little better perspective.

NOT perfect but just comparing one price to another is not fair.

I was once called a liar for telling that motel 6 was originally six dollars a night.

Check the price of the original Mustang...those were silver dollars friend.

Best

CR

41 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

All gone!

Wonder how many there were?

On the main page, they all say, "Not available, one time run", but if you click on National Postal Meter, Inland, or Winchester, the next page says, "Available".

The most amazing thing is that I remembered the sale was today without writing anything on the fridge or having my phone alert me. Maybe the Prevagen is starting to work! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

On the main page, they all say, "Not available, one time run", but if you click on the National Postal Meter, the next page says, "Available".

If you put it in your cart it doesn’t mean you get it either. I was slow to complete the checkout on a Winchester because I put the wrong security number for my card and had to go back. Only took a few seconds but that’s all it took. I was a lot quicker on the Quality Hardware.

59 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

On the main page, they all say, "Not available, one time run", but if you click on National Postal Meter, Inland, or Winchester, the next page says, "Available".

Interesting. National Postal Meter, Inland and Winchester show as available on their specific pages.

Now just Winchester. (10:15a pst)

56 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Interesting. National Postal Meter, Inland and Winchester show as available on their specific pages.

Now just Winchester. (10:15a pst)

Aaaand Winchester's gone. (10:27 am pst)

9 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

All the whinin' and complainin' the past few weeks about how overpriced they were, and yet... <_<

No whinin from me. I understand the supply and demand concept. :D

I wasn’t really surprised by the pricing. 
If I had wanted one I would have paid the price for it. 
There are other guns I want more. 
I remember when I bought both of mine. I paid $129 for one and $139 for the other. When I sold them I got $250 each for them plus I sold them with 3 mags each but sold the remaining magazines for double what I paid. A week later Clinton banned the sale of them and the price jumped to $750 each for your average run of the mill Underwoods and Inlands. Damnit Clinton! 

Anyway, that was in the 90’s so I would expect prices to be what they are today. 

I'm feelin pretty good about the winchester I paid $900 for at auction in 2018.  It went the cheapest of all the M1 carbines for sale that day and I assume it's because it was the only one without a bayonet lug. 

What do I need with a bayonet lug?  That'd be a whole other bayonet I'd have to buy!

I've got a commercial Springfield Armory that I somehow gave to Kaya...... Not sure how that happened but at least she lets me shoot it.

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've got a commercial Springfield Armory that I somehow gave to Kaya...... Not sure how that happened but at least she lets me shoot it.

I did not know Springfield Armory made an M1 Carbine!

Well heck. I was just about to comment that I thought I was the only one, when he took it back and said that weren't what he had.

Springfield Armory does not make M1 carbines. But they used to. Sorta. The same people that are Springfield Armory made carbines for a short while under the name Rock Island Armory. New-made receivers and GI parts. I thought I had come across a smoking deal at the gun show. No bayonet lug. Push button safety. Flip rear sight. And stamped RIA. And I knew Rock Island was a real USGI Armory. When I got home I looked it up and found out that they did not make carbines.

So Springfield made carbines under the Rock Island name from '79 to '83, and under the Springfield name from '97 to '02.

I think I paid $300 for it. Not quite as smoking as I thought it was, but still a damn good deal.

I bought a 10¢ cup of Joe back in the day too. :lol: Don’t mean nothin.

I intend to recoup my losses by selling some mint condition pieces I have. Not Guns. Plywood.  

thats what prompted me to sell my carbine and garand a number of years ago , that and not having time to enjoy them anymore , im glad some new folks got theirs for the experience tho 

57 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

All that has to happen now is to find some ammo for them. Still rarer than hens teeth!

Not a problem. I’m gonna bore and rechamber mine to .357. I have an awesome set of TV repair tools.

Shipped! Should be here tomorrow. :D

Archived