SASS Wire Forum

Self drivin cars and self flyin planes

You’re not obsolete UB. You have common sense. 
I won’t even ride in an operator less train and I have tested them as part of my job. I sure as heck am not riding in an a self driving car or on a pilot less plane. 

Yep, I am a Luddite in this regard. 

Sounds impressive but in reality air to air refueling didn't require a whole lot from the drone to make it work. Air to air refueling in the Navy places all the work on the receiving aircraft. The drone  just has to maintain the correct speed and altitude.

An operator on the ship can easily perform all the necessary functions required of the Drone.  Heck with a little work the receiving aircraft could likely perform those as well. A low power data link could allow the receiving aircraft the ability to extend and retract the refueling drogue and start or stop the flow of fuel. Flying a programed track is something any drone can already do.

The impressive part is getting a drone to consistently land on a carrier flight deck. Especially in bad weather with an unpredictable pitching deck.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You’re not obsolete UB. You have common sense. 
I won’t even ride in an operator less train and I have tested them as part of my job. I sure as heck am not riding in an a self driving car or on a pilot less plane. 

Yep, I am a Luddite in this regard. 

I am in complete agreement, Pat. No self-drivin' JohnnyCabs for ol' Dubious.....

I don’t have a problem with the science or with the mechanics involved.

What I have a problem with is the programming and the lack of abstract reasoning in the event of a failure or an extraordinary occurrence!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

What I have a problem with is the programming and the lack of abstract reasoning in the event of a failure or an extraordinary occurrence!!

Bingo!  Plus the possibility of unfriendly people taking control. 

A few months ago I got a chuckle over an article about "remote app controlled male chastity devices" being hacked by people using ransomware.   The cost of stupidity. 

i no longer want anything betweem my legs that cant stand up by itself but i always dream of a new motorcycle , i still want to drive it tho - something is lost when you give away the controls 

Archived