SASS Wire Forum

An Ammo Update

Oncet or twicet I've reported my personal ammo experiences over the last few months, particularly at our local Bass Pro. I've been able to top off my usual calibers with a find there now and then, and at 'pre-shortage' ordinary retail prices.

Hadn't gone looking for a couple of months, but I did a couple of hours ago. I'd heard rumors of improvement. Indeed, they had more variety available than in many moons. In fact, they had their roller shelves right inside the store entranceway, as if to highlight betterment.

A small mountain of .38 spl. A lot of .308 and .270. A fair amount of  .45 acp. And quite a few other semi-auto calibers that I didn't look at closely. Lots of shotgun ammo in several gauges. Anyway, much more stuff that I'd seen since the regular shelves went empty.

No .44, no .45 Colt, no .357.

I said to the salesman who was at the display that it looked like there's been improvement and he said 'definitely'. Prices were 'normal', so to speak. I bought 3 boxes of 50 rd Herter's .38 spl at $23.99 per box.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we may be seeing the spark at the end of the tunnel. 

Hopefully the quantity will get here, and then that will, perhaps, lower the prices. Don't hold your breath, however. 

Not seeing any ammo around here, locally, but then again, I guess I could travel 100 or more miles to check out other locations. 

Wally-world, a-Cad-a-my, S.W.F.A., don't have anything...yet. I never expected Wally-world to have jack, and they still don't. One more, in a light-years long tradition of bone-head management decisions.

Around here it seems the ammo freight wagons haven’t made it this far…perhaps when the railroad comes through… 

We have one “franchise” ammo chain here called LAX Ammo that seems to think that posting $600 cases of 1000 rounds of Russian steel cases crap 9mm then saying it’s on sale at $80 off is normal or okay. They lost me as a customer a while ago. 

I may go check out a couple of stores to see what’s available today just for the heck of it. 

I thought WalMart stop selling ammo? Oh well, I wouldn't buy it there anyway! The gun shops around here are starting to have more and more ammo at somewhat lower prices. I suspect it'll settle down to mayb 20% higher than before the Wuhan China flu debacle!

When I stopped at a Wal*Mart in Price, UT on my way to Utah State there was plenty of Winchester .22 ammo on the shelf.  Didn't buy any but was pleased to see ammo stocked.

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I thought WalMart stop selling ammo? Oh well, I wouldn't buy it there anyway! The gun shops around here are starting to have more and more ammo at somewhat lower prices. I suspect it'll settle down to mayb 20% higher than before the Wuhan China flu debacle!

No, they stopped selling “handgun ammo” to the public. 

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

WW yesterday Remington Thunderbolt 22 ammo brick of 500 $31 tax included.

kR

That LAX Ammo store I mentioned before just sent me their “Specials” email. 

They are gougers. 
6E8C4796-8E4D-49B7-A191-8B68C3C8A5F0.thumb.png.70a05230f5f628a38b2ffb82f8cb912a.png

8 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

WW yesterday Remington Thunderbolt 22 ammo brick of 500 $31 tax included.

kR

Not a bad deal.  They only have to give you $31 to take that crap off their hands!

Seamus

I'm still using up Thunderbolts I bought 40 years ago at $8.88/500. 

I did make it back to sporting goods in our local Wally-World this morning to check out the ammo inventory.   There was maybe enough total to fill a lunch box.  It was behind the counter and hard to see any detail.   I did notice a small inventory of CCI 22 at $7.89 / 100 (looked like).  I couldn't make out specifically what model. 

Due to scalpers being there every time the store unloaded ammo, our Walmart now limits ammo to one box of each type per group. They make no bones about the reason why, they are making it fair to all their customers!

I needed a couple quarts of oil the other night to finish up oil changes and Walmart had it cheaper so I went in. Stopped by the ammo counter and saw five 333 count boxes of Federal Automatic, limit two. $17.00ish each. Got two. What the heck. 

Archived