SASS Wire Forum

WA State BP Championship (Frontiersman Gunfighter)

Here’s a look at the first day of shooting, 6 stages and at least that many shooters on this episode.  And, if that isn’t enough, how about a close up look at my 1851 Navy chain-fire :o… or a 14 second stage by @Damascus Jon?

See it all… right here:

Enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Yeah, I know it's not as cool, but WHERE ON EARTH ARE THAT FIRST SHOOTER'S SAFETY GLASSES??? YIKES!

Holy $hit!  Not only was I there and never caught that… But, I also edited this video, watching it probably a dozen times, and I never noticed.  Uh… that’s not good.  

26 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Looks like a good range for a black powder match - no trees and a light breeze.

That is for sure!  

Being that first shooter and all, look closely and you will even see the side shields on my safety glasses…

15 minutes ago, Crisco said:

Being that first shooter and all, look closely and you will even see the side shields on my safety glasses…

Crisco, 

He was talking about Jack Straw on DAY 1.  He’s definitely without Safety Glasses.  I talked to him today and he didn’t notice until he got to the unloading table and Captain Rosecrans pointed it out to him.  :o

17 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Looks like a good range for a black powder match - no trees and a light breeze.

Come to the PA State match where we have plenty of trees, dampness, and no breeze.....for the past two events!!

4 hours ago, Cemetery said:

Come to the PA State match where we have plenty of trees, dampness, and no breeze.....for the past two events!!

We get PLENTY of that on the Western side of Washington :P 

4 hours ago, Cemetery said:

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 What brand of eye protection is that you're wearing?

https://www.aimcam.com/?ref=JEDiTV

20 hours ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

We get PLENTY of that on the Western side of Washington :P 

sounds like my kinda place!

On 6/7/2021 at 11:10 AM, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

... And, if that isn’t enough, how about a close up look at my 1851 Navy chain-fire :o… or...

Jed,

Thank you for the dedication to consistently turn out the great videos.

Did you have time to do root cause analysis of the chain fire, a relatively infrequent event?  Any thoughts on the cause? 

It is not often that chain fire projectiles are recovered.  Also very interesting that an opposing chamber was ignited instead of adjacent.  From previous videos, you seemed very pleased and very successful with the out-of-box performance of your Pietta Bros. 1851 revolvers. In the videos, you seem to have more than just chain fire trouble with these Piettas.  It would be nice to have contemporary evidence versus the usual "I heard tell of a neighbor's brother-in-law's gardener who...".

• damaged/deformed/mis-cast ball, or ball deformed at loading?
  • chamber cracked, (any recent gunsmith changes to cylinder chamber mouths)?
  • etc.

19 hours ago, Palouse said:

...Did you have time to do root cause analysis of the chain fire, a relatively infrequent event?  Any thoughts on the cause? ...

This is another example of what I think is a cause of chain fires, but I've never heard anyone else back up this theory.

People often say that loose caps don't cause chainfires because they purposely remove the caps, trying to get a chain fire, and it doesn't happen.  My theory is that a loose cap actually slides back off the cone during recoil, slams against the recoil shield and detonates.  I suppose a way to test this would be to load a few empty chambers with oversize nipples and fire the other chambers, and see if any caps detonate.  (If all the chambers were charged and you got a chain fire, it would be too hard to tell if the cap detonated on it's own or was ignited by "sparks getting around the nipple and detonating the main charge".

Now Pard,

Don't forget we, me shooter & you timer, chain fired once back in Hawkinsville, Dammit!

Fired that '51 many years before that happened to me without incident and it's never happened since either.

JUD

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:55 AM, Palouse said:

Jed,

Thank you for the dedication to consistently turn out the great videos.

Did you have time to do root cause analysis of the chain fire, a relatively infrequent event?  Any thoughts on the cause? 

It is not often that chain fire projectiles are recovered.  Also very interesting that an opposing chamber was ignited instead of adjacent.  From previous videos, you seemed very pleased and very successful with the out-of-box performance of your Pietta Bros. 1851 revolvers. In the videos, you seem to have more than just chain fire trouble with these Piettas.  It would be nice to have contemporary evidence versus the usual "I heard tell of a neighbor's brother-in-law's gardener who...".

• damaged/deformed/mis-cast ball, or ball deformed at loading?
  • chamber cracked, (any recent gunsmith changes to cylinder chamber mouths)?
  • etc.

I never did come to a “for sure” conclusion as to the cause.  All I can do is speculate as others have.  

This was the first match where I had any real trouble with my Piettas (I mean other than early on with the Cap and Ball learning curve).  They are box stock and I have about a dozen extra cylinders for ‘em.  I pre-load the cylinders and swap ‘em out for new between stages.  I load ‘em up before I come to the match and then after cleaning I load ‘em on the range for the next day of shooting.  I’ve used the same Hornady balls for years and they always leave a little lead ring behind so I’m pretty sure there wasn’t any deformed ball.  I lean more towards either a cap falling off or a loose cap seating itself on the recoil shield (with the latter being less likely based on the fact that I seat ‘em pretty good and there is quite a bit of space between the recoil shield and a properly seated cap). But, again, this is all just speculation.  

I’ll certainly keep a closer eye on my loading process at future matches to insure that there isn’t something I could improve on.  

On 6/17/2021 at 10:46 PM, Jack Rojas said:

Now Pard,

Don't forget we, me shooter & you timer, chain fired once back in Hawkinsville, Dammit!

Fired that '51 many years before that happened to me without incident and it's never happened since either.

JUD

Thanks for the reminder… sometimes I even forget… lots of times I forget :)

I’m hoping mine was a one-off too.  

Great vids Jed..looks like a lotta fun..that Damascus Jon is quick, nice young fella, met him a few years back on a trip over..ya' gotta luv those C &B's..had a chainfire once ..I was lucky the other bullet went down the side of the barrel & hit the dang target  !!!!!!! & yep there were witnesses...:D

No one has ever nailed down the cause of Chain Fire.  There has been nothing but speculation since the first one happened.  If you haven't had a Chain Fire, you're going to.  The Chain Fire is just something that "just happens" with Cap-n-Ball guns.  Trying to narrow it down to a single reason is akin to herding Cats.  Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

No one has ever nailed down the cause of Chain Fire.  There has been nothing but speculation since the first one happened.  If you haven't had a Chain Fire, you're going to.  The Chain Fire is just something that "just happens" with Cap-n-Ball guns.  Trying to narrow it down to a single reason is akin to herding Cats.  Good Luck.

I hear ya and don’t disagree.  Initially I thought, having captured the video that I did, it might help me narrow down a cause.  It didn’t.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well here is a good start.

Preventing chain firing

PDF copy of the above link   Preventing chain firing.pdf

Managing black powder fouling.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 1:28 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Great vids Jed..looks like a lotta fun..that Damascus Jon is quick, nice young fella, met him a few years back on a trip over..ya' gotta luv those C &B's..had a chainfire once ..I was lucky the other bullet went down the side of the barrel & hit the dang target  !!!!!!! & yep there were witnesses...:D

Thanks Painted Mohawk, glad ya enjoyed these episodes.  And, yep, Damascus Jon is all of that!  

On 7/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yep.  I did make some adjustments to my loading procedure for this weekend’s Plainsman Side Match.  No problems… for me!  Another shooter had a chain fire though.  No injuries, no damage to the revolver.  

Archived