SASS Wire Forum

Extremely Large Cojones

Dutch Wheeler

“Hey Joey, hand me another beer…Guys, I have a great idea. Let’s jump out of a plane only I don’t want a parachute. I want to land in a net from 25,000 feet.”

Joey hands him a beer then goes to the bathroom to call his insurance company about buying a policy for his deranged cousin…

I have been a bit of a daredevil all my life. I have done some pretty crazy stuff, but I did what I did for me, not others and I am definitely not a “showman”. I don’t thrive on the adoration of others who want to live vicariously through me. 

In my humble :rolleyes: opinion. That guy is nuts! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I bet he’s done it before

He may have but he's only going to have so many chances before something goes wrong and he ends up a gooey splat.  Completely insane and suicidal....but the title of this thread is spot on.

I read the the title of the post and it reminded me of a 6th grade joke.  You telephone the bowling alley and ask them, “Do you have 16 pound balls?”  When they reply, “Yes.”  You say, “How do you walk?”  then hang up......lol.

The announcer - HE MADE IT!!

I'm thinking, "barely". Look to me like he landed maybe 15 feet from the right edge. On a net that appears to be about 60 or 80 feet wide, that's awful close to a miss.

When I see events of this nature I often wonder, “How many people showed up in the hopes of seeing the guy not make it?”

Also:

Notice you never see women doing stunts like this? :lol:

edited due to miscommunication. 

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Don’t need no stinking caterpillar.

Wouldn't qualify anyway.

Only "awarded" to someone who used a parachute to save his ass after leaving a disabled aircraft.

A buddy's dad had one - engine threw a rod and he bailed out of his P-39 on a training flight. 

On a side note, he later actually shot down a Zero - with an Airacobra!  He said "I popped out of a cloud and there he was!"  The Zero pilot was later fished out of the water and said he never saw what hit him.

1626229216_P-39b.thumb.JPG.34e0d915d41a1a69aa281eeb5dd87d17.JPG

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'd have been more impressed if he didn't have three guys with parachutes helping to guide him down, and being there to grab him if he started to mess up.

Yeah, if you're going to do something crazy BE CRAZY!!! :blink:

The three guys with chutes were there to help locate the body if needed.

wile hole.jpg

Nope, Nix, Nada, No Way, Ain't gonna happen, Hell NO!!!

I ain't even volunteering to jump out a plane with a parachute!

My wife jumped tandem from 13,000 feet on her 68th Birthday.  I stayed with my feet firmly planted on terra ferma and held her purse.

I propose it’s not that big of a deal. 
The target was monstrous. Big enough that most experienced jumpers could hit it. 

The trap was a simple engineering exercise in deceleration. Allow enough distance and time to slow the mass of his body down without exceeding a damaging g-force on his body. 

Walk off the trap to an adoring crowd and big paycheck. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, captqueeze said:

Said the same thing about  Evel Knievel as I recall.  Looked like a fantastic 3 minutes of his life.

Yup

13 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I propose it’s not that big of a deal. 
The target was monstrous. Big enough that most experienced jumpers could hit it. 

The trap was a simple engineering exercise in deceleration. Allow enough distance and time to slow the mass of his body down without exceeding a damaging g-force on his body. 

Walk off the trap to an adoring crowd and big paycheck. 

Unexpected winds aloft could have taken him way off target. But I expect the jumpers with him were prepared for a tandem hookup if that occurred below maybe 8,000 ft or so. 
As a rope rope, I’m still impressed. ;)

Archived