SASS Wire Forum

Heart Attack Recovery Expectations

:ph34r:  It's been 2 weeks and 3 hours now since Goode experienced what the medicals termed 'a minor' heart attack, and I can now talk about it dispassionately (sort of).

Long story, won't bore you.  Left atrial descending artery was 98% occluded, and 2 stents were installed, creating an instant feeling of well-being (at least better than previously).  Now she experiences profound extreme weakness, in spite of wholesome diet and adequate rest.  She has become very heat intolerant, and this week of 106 and 108 degrees hasn't helped.   She spoke with a friend who had basically same situation a while back, and when asking her how long it was before she got back to feeling normal the answer was "about a year".

Not what she wanted to hear. 

Wondering what any experiences of Saloonatics might be, and if there are any particular things to be aware of.  

I know many on the Wire are retired medical personnel of one type or another, and this will be preaching to the choir.  For the rest of us, never having experienced such a situation, PLEASE be aware of danger signs and proper protocol.  Goode experienced a progressive sharp pain behind the sternum, traveling to left arm and lower jaw.  Desired to lay down.  Immediately sat her in easy chair nearest front door and had her chew a plain 325 mg aspirin.  Calling 911 brought the professionals (ambulance and fire dept) within 4 minutes.  Quick assessment and some nitroglycerin and off she went to ER.  Sunday afternoon about 4:30.  Thus began an 'interesting' week.

So be ready; things CAN happen to you or a family member.

Thanks for replies.

All I can say is praying here.

:ph34r:  A lot of that got her through the initial situation..... so many things fell into place as far as scheduling, Dr. availability, etc.  Some nurses were heard to say, "My, what a coincidence!" and "Gee, THAT worked out well!".  Our town has no REAL cardiologist (one who is trained in invasive care) so she was transported Sunday night to Palmdale Regional medical center (86 miles ).  Prelims all Monday, operation Tuesday, and I brought her home Wednesday.  The Master Physician had His hand in the situation.

Thanks,  Deacon KC.

Know the heart attack symptoms. They can be different for women and men sometimes. Women’s are frequently misdiagnosed. Make sure you learn CPR if you don’t know it already.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/warning-signs-of-a-heart-attack

Basically mirrors my experience starting in  2011.  I felt like a young man for a while but had another artery 40% clogged that confounded my recovery.  My advice is give it more time and continue to monitor blood pressure while communicating frequently any changes.  Assuming that a whole array of meds were prescribed and sometimes it takes a while for the body to adjust

She has been given a 2nd chance at her life,  time to start living and don't sweat the small stuff.  She'll have a 2nd birthday on her procedure date..A renewed life.  We are thinking about her.

@Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494

Right there is Ridgecrest is one of the best Cardiologists in the nation. His name is Dr. Avinash M. Mondkar. He lives there and see patients a couple days a week in Ridgecrest. The rest of the time he is at Cedars-Sinai.

Look him up and get an appointment. He saved the lives of my Wife and a couple of very good friends.

His contact info is 

1661 Triangle Dr, Ridgecrest, CA, 93555

(760) 446-0018

(310) 657-1995

Oh gosh, stents and heart problems have been my middle name for the past 15 years.

Thru the years, I got 5 heart stents, 2 neck stents, a double by pass and a new 'pig' valve because my Aorta valve

was bad...real bad.

Each situation is unique for the individual.  Recovery time also varies due to each situation.

Follow the doctors advice and keep all your Cardiologist appointments as scheduled.

The Cardio doctors do a good job monitoring their heart patients and frequent visits (atleast twice

a year, maybe more often) allow the doctor to keep tabs on HER situation.

Make the Cardiologist AND your family physician aware of her "extreme weakness" as you stated.

Heart stents and heart surgery are not the end of things.  Life can be very full and active after 

heart work has been completed.

Wishing her (and you) the best.

..........Widder

Jeanie (retired cardio nurse) says that a lot depends on her doctor and on her, but she could be pretty much back to normal in 3-4 months with good care and following doctor's orders to the letter.

Good Luck, our prayers are with you.

Duffield

Bad Bascomb,

I am so glad Goode is pulling through. I have no personal experience with heart issues but regarding recoveries from surgeries I have a little experience. My advice is follow the doctor’s orders and communicate her feelings and symptoms to the doctor. Don’t ever feel like you or she is complaining or asking too much. Doctors do not have telepathy. 
Recovery takes time. Give it the time it takes. :)

13 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  It's been 2 weeks and 3 hours now since Goode experienced what the medicals termed 'a minor' heart attack, and I can now talk about it dispassionately (sort of).

Long story, won't bore you.  Left atrial descending artery was 98% occluded, and 2 stents were installed, creating an instant feeling of well-being (at least better than previously).  Now she experiences profound extreme weakness, in spite of wholesome diet and adequate rest.  She has become very heat intolerant, and this week of 106 and 108 degrees hasn't helped.   She spoke with a friend who had basically same situation a while back, and when asking her how long it was before she got back to feeling normal the answer was "about a year".

Not what she wanted to hear. 

Wondering what any experiences of Saloonatics might be, and if there are any particular things to be aware of.  

I know many on the Wire are retired medical personnel of one type or another, and this will be preaching to the choir.  For the rest of us, never having experienced such a situation, PLEASE be aware of danger signs and proper protocol.  Goode experienced a progressive sharp pain behind the sternum, traveling to left arm and lower jaw.  Desired to lay down.  Immediately sat her in easy chair nearest front door and had her chew a plain 325 mg aspirin.  Calling 911 brought the professionals (ambulance and fire dept) within 4 minutes.  Quick assessment and some nitroglycerin and off she went to ER.  Sunday afternoon about 4:30.  Thus began an 'interesting' week.

So be ready; things CAN happen to you or a family member.

Thanks for replies.

Certainly you want to bring any concerns to her doctor in a timely fashion. 

Having said that, I have no experience with heart attacks, but I do have significant experience with both my parents have multiple surgeries.  A surgery is an invasive procedure and both of my parents (age at surgery ranged from mid 50's into their 70's) didn't feel close to 100% until at least a month after the surgery.  Longer if physical therapy is involved or if they push their recovery too fast.     Every person recovers differently, but "profound extreme weakness, in spite of wholesome diet and adequate rest.  She has become very heat intolerant" after two weeks does not, based on my experience with my parent's  recoveries after brain surgeries and surgery to have the gall bladder removed, strike me as unusual.

Again, any concerns or doubts contact the doctor who did the surgery, who should be doing follow up calls and/or office visits anyway.

She is very lucky to be alive. The LAD is known as the widow maker (along with the left main). Of course a person’s overall health status, and how quickly they receive treatment are major factors. Rehabilitation depends on how much damage the heart underwent. I wish y'all the best.

Archived