SASS Wire Forum

I’m thinking of going Medieval!

During my short tenure at Hayward High School (one of three during my junior year), I built a crossbow in shop class.  (Believe it or not, this was actually allowed back then - 1967)  The bow was some sort of spring metal, and was VERY strong.  Cocking involved placing the butt on the ground, grasping the aircraft cable "bowstring" and leaning on it with as much weight as you could muster.  UNLOADED, of course!

One afternoon I was demonstrating the cocking procedure to an envious friend and his li' brother.  We were standing in my living room, with me holding the unloaded but cocked "piece" and talking to the guys, when suddenly and totally without warning, the cable parted at one end - it whipped around my head and the cable clamp on the failed end struck the wall heater I was standing near and put a half-inch dent in the sheet metal.

We all looked at the dent with astonishment - I turned to my buddy and handed him the crossbow and said "Here!  Fix it and it's yours!" 

I never had any further interest in them things.  I was cured!  ^_^

I picked up a Moi-made crossbow in 'Nam.  Very simple (three wooden parts and a "string" made of some vine.  Bolts were un-fletched fire hardened bamboo.) and amazingly accurate ro twenty five yards and capable of piercing a GI issue steel helmet at about fifteen feet.

I have often wished I had sent it home.

My one of neighbors bought one of those pistol type crossbows years ago when I lived in NC. We were fooling around with it shooting bolts at pieces of firewood. He had 10 bolts. We turn turns shooting at a red dot painted on a log when the neighbor lady stuck her head over the fence and said “What are y’all doing over there?” thus making my buddy Chad look up as he pulled the trigger on the last bolt. The bolt glanced off the log and sped past the neighbors lady’s face by 1-2 inches and then the bolt hit a tree limb about 15’ beyond her and imbedded into the tree limb about an inch deep (after we got a ladder and pulled it out).

The bolts in the firewood we were shooting at were all imbedded pretty deep. We estimated a skull shot could be deadly. 

Chad put the crossbow pistol away and only shot it when he went to West Virginia to visit his folks in their farm.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

crossbows ain't allowed here; it would get me 14 years in the "greybar hotel" ....

........... with no time off for good behaviour   :(

Would you recognize GOOD BEHAVIOR (u) ?

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... ummmmmm no, ... but I'm hoping that I'll be able to fool them ....... ;)

Yeah, good luck with that. Just sayin'... :D 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

crossbows ain't allowed here; it would get me 14 years in the "greybar hotel" ....

........... with no time off for good behaviour   :(

14 years? What the hell for? It’s not like it’s semiauto or high capacity. 

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

14 years? What the hell for? It’s not like it’s semiauto or high capacity. 

We have a list of toys that we are not allowed to play with ...... and crossbows is on it.

:mellow:

15 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Made in HS Shop class 1970:

image.png

OMG you’re a non-conforming radical gun nut!  An anti-social pro 2A deviant.  A right wing hater of all that is woke and politically correct. 

You’re my kinda guy!  :FlagAm:

Archived