SASS Wire Forum

Join me in a toast to the Heroes of the Greatest Generation

D Day timeline:

By now, 0500 hrs June 6, 1944, US paratroops of the 505th Regt have captured St Mere Eglise and British paras have taken Pegasus bridge.
The invasion fleet sits off shore. At 0510, the cruiser HMS Orion will fire the first shots at German coastal positions. The invasion of Europe has begun! 
https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/d-day/timeline

DdayBob.jpg

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Join me in a toast to the Heroes!

:FlagAm:

Ave atque vale.

Multās per gentēs et multa per aequora vectus adveniō hās miserās, frāter, ad īnferiās,ut tē postrēmō dōnārem mūnere mortiset mūtam nequīquam alloquerer cineremquandōquidem fortūna mihi tētē abstulit ipsumheu miser indignē frāter adempte mihi nunc tamen intereā haec, prīscō quae mōre parentum
trādita sunt tristī mūnere ad īnferiās,
accipe frāternō multum mānantia flētū.
Atque in perpetuum, frāter, avē atque valē.

Had an uncle who joined them on the beach that morning!

Thanks uncle Fred!

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Join me in a toast to the Heroes of the Greatest Generation

The Longest Day is over. It is now near dawn on June 7th in Normandy. The price was high. 

• The First U.S. Army, accounting for the first twenty-four hours in Normandy, tabulated 1,465 killed, 1,928 missing, and 6,603 wounded. The after-action report of U.S. VII Corps (ending 1 July) showed 22,119 casualties including 2,811 killed, 5,665 missing, 79 prisoners, and 13,564 wounded, including paratroopers.
  • Canadian forces at Juno Beach sustained 946 casualties, of whom 335 were listed as killed.
  • Surprisingly, no British figures were published, but Cornelius Ryan cites estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 killed, wounded, and missing, including 650 from the Sixth Airborne Division.

"Farmer" "Hap" Kennedy, Royal Canadian Air Force, "Ace"

Wife's cousin, who became a Doctor after the war and served his patients in Manotick, Ontario for many decades.

HapTitle.jpg

24 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

"Farmer" "Hap" Kennedy, Royal Canadian Air Force, "Ace"

Wife's cousin, who became a Doctor after the war and served his patients in Manotick, Ontario for many decades.

HapTitle.jpg

Whirlwind! Cool plane. 

CB13D412-E18D-47AD-B8FD-EAC78432D33C.jpeg

53 minutes ago, watab kid said:

ill tip one to all of them , you do realize we are fast becoming them ? in terms of our existence these days 

I think you will see far fewer Vietnam vets reach their 100th birthday than the WW2 generation.

i think you are correct , it was what made me think to mention it , so ill tip one to all of us as well , life is good but all too short , thank all for their service and contributions to this great nation , in spite of all those that would tear us down we have been a great contribution to the world , 

Archived