SASS Wire Forum

hearing aids and protection.

Pit Bull Tex

I need hearing aids but would like the protection also.Some thing that I can ware all the time and and hear the cowboys talking.I know it has been brought up.What brand do you guy think are the best and where to buy them.

35 minutes ago, Pit Bull Tex said:

I need hearing aids but would like the protection also.Some thing that I can ware all the time and and hear the cowboys talking.I know it has been brought up.What brand do you guy think are the best and where to buy them.

I wear my regular hearing aids at matches. I have a program that compresses the sound to acceptable db levels. 

Mine are  Audibel which is a division of Starkey...would I recommend them? Well...I don't know. They work well but are pricey ($6800)...and I don't know how good "Costco" models are.

Don't know if this helps much...but if the Hearing Aid can be programmed to compress sound, you're good to go.

Phantom

Thanks Phantom.I can't afford that much.I looked on their web site.How have you been?Hope to get back to shooting soon.Still getting over the flood and the knee replacement and then the freeze.

16 minutes ago, Pit Bull Tex said:

Thanks Phantom.I can't afford that much.I looked on their web site.How have you been?Hope to get back to shooting soon.Still getting over the flood and the knee replacement and then the freeze.

Hanging in there my friend...haven't had all the weather issues you folks have had. Glad you're doing better...and get back to shootin'!!!!!  :D

The price is tough to deal with...that's for sure! But I'd bet ya buck that other brands and dispensers have units that do the same thing for less. If it has a program selector on the hearing aid (or some kind of interface that you can access through your phone), then it can be programmed to compress. 

Good luck in your search ;)

Phantom

Thanks Phantom.I will find something I am sure.I pray you got over the bad reck you had.

You need more than compression to get proper protection from impulse noise like gun shots.  Most people have hearing aids that are open to the atmosphere as the sound is more natural.  These will not provide any protection from impulse noise.  You need a sealed earmold to get protection.  Unless you have a severe or low frequency loss, they probably won’t be sealed.  

the better choice is to have a set of custom plugs from esp, etc and have them tuned to your loss. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Vertical and breathing... Can't complain:P

And thanks for asking:blush:

Did you have another one? Or is this still after effects?

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Did you have another one? Or is this still after effects?

Haven't had another one...knock on wood...thank God!!!!

Can't complain about any side effects...grateful for being in the condition I'm in ;)

Thanks for asking my friend!!

Phantom

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Haven't had another one...knock on wood...thank God!!!!

Can't complain about any side effects...grateful for being in the condition I'm in ;)

Thanks for asking my friend!!

Phantom

You are missed around here, I don't care what Co Jack says. But as we know, you are an acquired taste.:lol:

Costco's HA's are very good, I've been using them for 2 years, much better than others I have had, BUT they don't suppress gunfire. For shooting I use Walker Game Ears with custom molded plugs. The Costco aids are Bluetooth and run around $1500, the whole Walker setup was around $350. Works well for me.

9 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Costco's HA's are very good, I've been using them for 2 years, much better than others I have had, BUT they don't suppress gunfire. For shooting I use Walker Game Ears with custom molded plugs. The Costco aids are Bluetooth and run around $1500, the whole Walker setup was around $350. Works well for me.

I'd be real surprised if the Costco hearing aids can't be programmed to compress sound... That's a pretty basic thing programmatically to do.

It would be like them saying you can't wear you hearing aids at a concert...

Phantom

I had Costco hearing aids for several years before blue tooth.  They were worth the money, I liked that I could shutoff the pickups facing backwards when I was out eating.  Mine did not stop the gun shots.  They would lower it though.  I paid about $2000 for them.  Today I use a pair that the VA gave me that is bluetooth.  They are Oticon, not near as good as the ones I got from Costco.  Good hearing aids are expensive.  I liked the testing set up, much better than several places I had been to over the years.  You can only get the Costco brand fixed and programed at Costco.

I wear programmable hearing aids that are open to air.  I found that using the silicone swimmers earplugs (from the drugstore) stuffed In over the hearing aid insert, then switching the aids to the noise program works pretty good. Turn the hearing aids down so I can just hear the conversations around me and good to go. I also have the Walker Silencer units, but they don’t stay in my ears very well. They work loose ant then they don’t work well until I reinsert them. 

Sam Sackett 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'd be real surprised if the Costco hearing aids can't be programmed to compress sound... That's a pretty basic thing programmatically to do.

It would be like them saying you can't wear you hearing aids at a concert...

Phantom

That's the first thing I asked, they said while all hearing aids do offer some compression theirs would not work for shooting. I had a pair of another brand i bought at a SASS Convention MANY years ago. They offered suppression for shooting, but for me anyways lacked the ability to help my hearing loss. YMMV

11 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

That's the first thing I asked, they said while all hearing aids do offer some compression theirs would not work for shooting. I had a pair of another brand i bought at a SASS Convention MANY years ago. They offered suppression for shooting, but for me anyways lacked the ability to help my hearing loss. YMMV

Certainly the different designs will have some impact on them being practical for shooting. Mine completely fill the canal as mine have extra amplification within the earpiece. Kind of like those that you might see musicians wearing on stage.

Phantom

On 6/5/2021 at 8:54 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Bob, where did you get the custom molded plugs for the Walker Game Ears. The ones that came with it will not stay in my ears.

Johnny M

When I got my hearing aids from Costco the guy fitting me made me a set of plugs . Costco sells many different manufacturers hearing aids . The plus side to them is the cost is generally 1/2 the downside is they are software locked meaning only Costco can adjust them .And some models do not have all the features as the same ones sold outside of Costco “you have to do your research “. The VA sells the most hearing aids in the US , Costco is # 2 . I just got my 2nd cochlear implant so I have nothing left to damage . Only plus side to it is not needing hearing protection anymore 

4 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Bob, where did you get the custom molded plugs for the Walker Game Ears. The ones that came with it will not stay in my ears.

Johnny M

Actually at a motorcycle event, but I would guess most anyone that does the custom molded ones could do it. They're probably 20 years old and I've moved them from Walkers to different Walkers over the years. Walker stopped supporting an older set and gave me a deal on a newer one. The trick is to find someone who will be able or willing to fabricate them with a tube that connects to your Walkers. I know Sam's Club makes custom plugs, they made set for Bonnie. You might ask them if they can do the hearing tube. Good Luck.

I had been using "open" COSTCO (Kirkland) hearing aids for a few years, but would replace them with Peltor in-ear plugs at a match.  Concur that open hearing aids with decibel compression (83 to 85 db) are not optimal.  I usually volunteer to read the Stage Instructions as otherwise I have no idea of what was supposed to happen:blink:  Then the COSTCO audiologist recommended the silicone molded earplug upgrade ($40) as my hearing was not getting any better.   Reprograming was required.  Same hearing aids.  Now, at a match, I can leave my molded earplug hearing aids in place, and get the PHONAK app to take the volume way down.  Not perfect, but better than the "Cone of Silence" (who remembers that TV show gag?) that resulted from using the Peltor plugs.  One caveat.  The upgraded hearing aids/molded plugs required at least Bluetooth 4,2 to function with the app.  Wound up buying a pair of iPhone 11's as our old Android LG-7 phones only had Bluetooth 4.0 with no way to upgrade that.

Archived