SASS Wire Forum

Buy a lottery ticket!

28 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Don't bother with a lottery ticket, you just used all your luck.

That's what I was thinking. Ain't no sense in buying a lottery ticket or making a bet or anything. All the good luck for the rest of your life was just used.

A friend of mine in the 7th Cav heard a loud Thump outside his sleeping hole on the firebase and emerged to find a sizzling 122mm rocket that had hit the sandbags. It was frired from one of our own abandoned bases nearby. He was a bit shaken by that. :D

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine in the 7th Cav heard a loud Thump outside his sleeping hole on the firebase and emerged to find a sizzling 122mm rocket that had hit the sandbags. It was fried from one of our own abandoned bases nearby. He was a bit shaken by that. :D

Shaken, but not stirred, thankfully. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine in the 7th Cav heard a loud Thump outside his sleeping hole on the firebase and emerged to find a sizzling 122mm rocket that had hit the sandbags. It was fried from one of our own abandoned bases nearby. He was a bit shaken by that. :D

Huh, weren't a 122mm rocket about 8 foot tall?:blink:

Don't that mean the other half- including the warhead- is stuck in the ground?

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What the heck is that?

Looks like a 70's International !:ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Huh, weren't a 122mm rocket about 8 foot tall?:blink:

Don't that mean the other half- including the warhead- is stuck in the ground?

3F20729A-013F-49E9-8229-E4AA85299EAF.jpeg

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, if they hit us gainA friend of mine in the 7th Cav heard a loud Thump outside his sleeping hole on the firebase and emerged to find a sizzling 122mm rocket that had hit the sandbags. It was frired from one of our own abandoned bases nearby. He was a bit shaken by that. :D

In addition he was a Hawaiian fella of Japanese descent and in charge of the commo section. Still in his OD boxers and flip flops, he grabbed his M16 and headed for the TOC as more Russian built hardware impacted in the perimeter. One of the guys there advised him to put on a shirt ASAP. “What for?”, he asked. He was informed tactfully that dressed in shorts and sandals his appearance was just wee a bit North Vietnamese and running around the firebase in that configuration could be hazardous to his health. His second Oh S**t moment of the evening.

Fortunately our recon platoon was in the area of the firebase they were firing on, heard the ruckus, got eyes on the bad guys and called in a rain of steel from our 105 battery. End of rocket incoming.

The fight lasted from 200 hrs to near dawn. They tried 3 ground assaults, shot down a Huey flare ship when a flare got hung up on the skid, the co-pilot was killed. The infantry company just about exhausted the ammo supply. The artillery, who were firing beehive rounds still had a good stockpile. Col Trobaugh said, in his best John Wayne voice after an ammo count, “Well, if they hit us again, we’ll fall back to the 105 pits and fix bayonets”

Fortunately, the NVA were spent and headed back to Cambodia to lick their wounds. They missed their chance to re-enact Custer’s Last Stand

FSB Atkinson. April 1970.

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

It looked a little different from the Katyusha pictured. The exhaust area is entirely different.:blush::blush:

There is no relation to the truck pic I found on Facebook and the pic of the 122. I have no info on the truck or the ordnance that opened er up like a sardine can.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In addition he was a Hawaiian fella of Japanese descent and in charge of the commo section. Still in his OD boxers and flip flops, he grabbed his M16 and headed for the TOC as more Russian built hardware impacted in the perimeter. One of the guys there advised him to put on a shirt ASAP. “What for?”, he asked. He was informed tactfully that dressed in shorts and sandals his appearance was just wee a bit North Vietnamese and running around the firebase in that configuration could be hazardous to his health. His second Oh S**t moment of the evening.

Fortunately our recon platoon was in the area of the firebase they were firing on, heard the ruckus, got eyes on the bad guys and called in a rain of steel from our 105 battery. End of rocket incoming.

The fight lasted from 200 hrs to near dawn. They tried 3 ground assaults, shot down a Huey flare ship when a flare got hung up on the skid, the co-pilot was killed. The infantry company just about exhausted the ammo supply. The artillery, who were firing beehive rounds still had a good stockpile. Col Trobaugh said, in his best John Wayne voice after an ammo count, “Well, if they hit us again, we’ll fall back to the 105 pits and fix bayonets”

Fortunately, the NVA were spent and headed back to Cambodia to lick their wounds. They missed their chance to re-enact Custer’s Last Stand

FSB Atkinson. April 1970.

Since you are unable to receive PM's I'll post the question I have:

I noticed from this thread that you were near Tay Ninh in April 1970.  I was in country and assigned to the 25th ID staring in June 1970.  Because of my education & employment when in college I was recruited by the assistant division signal officer to move the 11th ACR's pirate radio station gear from An Loc to Dau Tieng.  I wonder if you listened to any of "WTLB"s broadcasts on the FM radio band.

10 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Since you are unable to receive PM's I'll post the question I have:

I noticed from this thread that you were near Tay Ninh in April 1970.  I was in country and assigned to the 25th ID staring in June 1970.  Because of my education & employment when in college I was recruited by the assistant division signal officer to move the 11th ACR's pirate radio station gear from An Loc to Dau Tieng.  I wonder if you listened to any of "WTLB"s broadcasts on the FM radio band.

Nope. Didn’t know it existed. Used to listen to AFVN occasionally. 

Archived