SASS Wire Forum

12 shot 22 Cattlemen at 22 allowed matches

Hey MD’s 

Do you see any problem with allowing a shooter to load 10 rounds in a 12 shot 22 Cattleman and letting them shoot the whole 10 shot pistol string with one revolver?

I don’t see why not, since most are not scoring the 22 shooters with the main match. 

i guess as long as those that have to shoot 2 six shot dont object - it is a bit of an advantage not to have to reholster and redraw the second , but then ive not shot any of these yet , particularly if the scoring is not the primary issue , ill be interested in others thoughts as well 

Well I don't particularly care for the idea. I realize that due to the ammo shortage some clubs are allowing the rules to be tabled/adjusted to let non-eligible folks shoot 22 RF guns/ammo. IMO, that is going far enough to accommodate the ammo shortage without further allowing illegal equipment (the 12 round revolver) and allowing 10 shots our of one pistol without reloading that pistol. Are Colt Woodsman and Ruger 10-22 going to be allowed next? Bending rules to accommodate on a rare occasion is one thing. Throwing the rules out the window is another. So... IMO, NO, it is not acceptable.

Snakebite  

If they are not being scored for the match, I don't see an advantage. It sounds like they are just there for fun and to see friends. Let them shoot.

Not being scored should not be the criteria to allow anything. That is an endless road. There are unlimited guns and styles that would fit into that "category". I believe It is to the Games advantage to keep it on track, if possible. 

I say, let them shoot.  Especially if they holster at five, then redraw and shoot the last five.

What if they have a brain fart and don't holster until the sixth shot?  Would there be a penalty or still okay?

19 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

What if they have a brain fart and don't holster until the sixth shot?  Would there be a penalty or still okay?

Ha... what difference would a penalty make if they are just pulling the trigger?

Sorry to be the lone decenter... it has long been my opinion that this game started going south as more and more acceptations and accommodations were at first allowed, and then became part of the rules. the Gun mods escalation began as accommodations. The wearing of modern Rodeo style of dress began as accommodations, yata, yata. Wearing shorts, T-Shirts and Tennis shoes during hot weather is just another accommodation. I know that my opinion is considered a "Hard Case" by many, but I've seen others that agreed with keeping the game pure, dismissed because their attitude was not "Progressive" enough. O-well... what the hell. It's only a game.   

Snakebite

56 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I say, let them shoot.  Especially if they holster at five, then redraw and shoot the last five.

Bad idea. Just as GF can’t reholster, the chances of holstering a cocked pistol over a live round is too high. 

if I was MD I would not allow a 10 shot pistol. I’d be happy to loan a shooter another pistol if needed. 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Bad idea. Just as GF can’t reholster, the chances of holstering a cocked pistol over a live round is too high. 

if I was MD I would not allow a 10 shot pistol. I’d be happy to loan a shooter another pistol if needed. 

You are of course, correct.

At my club, we are allowing .22s at monthlies, but scoring separately, to keep people shooting that are short on ammo so we don't lost them forever. However, as MD, I would not allow the above scenario. I'm with @Snakebite. Slippery slope, and puts those with two revolvers at disadvantage. I would let them use it, but only if only five were loaded and they had a second pistol. And IMHO, simply holstering and repulling doesn't do it for me, as most would not remove their hand from the pistol or just briefly would, not making up for someone else holstering and pulling a second pistol from another holster

40 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Ha... what difference would a penalty make if they are just pulling the trigger?

Sorry to be the lone decenter... it has long been my opinion that this game started going south as more and more acceptations and accommodations were at first allowed, and then became part of the rules. the Gun mods escalation began as accommodations. The wearing of modern Rodeo style of dress began as accommodations, yata, yata. Wearing shorts, T-Shirts and Tennis shoes during hot weather is just another accommodation. I know that my opinion is considered a "Hard Case" by many, but I've seen others that agreed with keeping the game pure, dismissed because their attitude was not "Progressive" enough. O-well... what the hell. It's only a game.   

Snakebite

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What Snakebite said - 100%

Phantom

AMEN!

15 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

You are of course, correct.

I don’t know about the “of course” part! (Although I always tell my wife I’m always correct :D)

changing a rule. Policy or procedure takes some “downstream” thinking.  I see it all the time at work. 

I could see allowing 5 shots loaded in each of two large-capacity single actions.  If shooter gets them indexed right.  Shooter takes a risk of hitting empty chambers with the firing pin if they mis-index, though!

Then folks would all do the same draw and reholster mechanics.

good luck, GJ

My MD gave me permission to shoot 22 with a pair of Single Six and a Henry Frontier.
For me, this is the difference between attending a match and staying home.
I'm not comfortable spending down my stock of center fire when I cannot replenish it.

I have no problem with 22's, but the type of firearm should not be altered. Two single action 6 shot pistols loaded with 5 round each, and a .22 lever or pump external hammer rifle. No one mentioned it above, but is this 10 shot .22 pistol possibly a double action also?

11 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I have no problem with 22's, but the type of firearm should not be altered. Two single action 6 shot pistols loaded with 5 round each, and a .22 lever or pump external hammer rifle. No one mentioned it above, but is this 10 shot .22 pistol possibly a double action also?

+100000

18 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

The OP asked about using a 12-shot Cattleman.

LINK

These are some unique and trying times we are going through. I'm on the fence here. Where as I agree with pards like Snakebite who say don't begin allowing just any gun because of hard times, At the same time I think that the 12 shot single action really does fit in well enough to be allowed. But in fact that they are not scored with the main categories and should not blend into the scores as this will add rank points to folks who still score that way. I also don't think it would be fair to allow someone to pull one revolver and run off 10 shots. The suggestion to fire 5, holster, then redraw and fire the remaining five seems logical. If someone wants to play with their 22's they should be allowed to, up to that time when things get back more to normal.

41 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

The suggestion to fire 5, holster, then redraw and fire the remaining five seems logical. If someone wants to play with their 22's they should be allowed to, up to that time when things get back more to normal.

OK... I'll yield to that idea on this condition. The shooter must draw pistol from either left or right side holster,  shoot 5 then re-holster in the SAME holster. THEN he/she must draw gun out of the opposite side holster and shoot the next 5 rounds. If they can do that, I'll live with it. :P

Snakebite

ps, I'm not going to jump up and down regardless of how clubs decide to run THEIR match. 

15 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

OK... I'll yield to that idea on this condition. The shooter must draw pistol from either left or right side holster,  shoot 5 then re-holster in the SAME holster. THEN he/she must draw gun out of the opposite side holster and shoot the next 5 rounds. If they can do that, I'll live with it. :P

Snakebite

ps, I'm not going to jump up and down regardless of how clubs decide to run THEIR match. 

How about if he/she spins the belt around their waist to position holster on the other side? Or just slides the holster on the belt to other side of belly button?

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

How about if he/she spins the belt around their waist to position holster on the other side? Or just slides the holster on the belt to other side of belly button?

That'll work...or he could turn around facing uprange, then pull from his cross draw holster, which is now on the other side, and shoot backwards under his arm.

One is all dome blue, 7.5". The other is dome blue with a nickel cylinder, 5.5".

47 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

"Dome" blue...okay...that's a term that's new to me...

that's what they called their deep luster blue like Colt used to put on Pythons and such. As they were operating out of the old Colt factory they used that term. Colt's own slogan was something about "Under the Dome" in Hartford.

2 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

that's what they called their deep luster blue like Colt used to put on Pythons and such. As they were operating out of the old Colt factory they used that term. Colt's own slogan was something about "Under the Dome" in Hartford.

You know...and to think I'm a collector/broker...I guess because of what I do that I use more common terminology...such as High Polish, High Luster...

Thanks Goody!

Phantom

Archived