SASS Wire Forum

I'm doing my first shoot this Saturday

Lucky Bastard

Take a deep breath before each stage & have fun!

BE SAFE.

Have fun.

Don't try to impress anyone with your gun skills or marksmanship.   You have nothing to prove

to anyone..... other than you are SAFE with your firearms.

..........Widder

1. Prioritize the huge amount of advice you are going to receive.
  2. Concentrate specifically on the safety aspect of the game for now and stuff the rest into the back of your mind for later use. 
  3. Try to ignore the timer! Even though everyone gets timed, don't worry about how fast you run a stage. Order of concern should be 1. Safety, 2. Accuracy, 3. Safety. Did I say safety? 
    • I've only been to a few matches thus far but burning the safety rules and regulations into my head to start has allowed me to become a faster, safer and more efficient shooter. 
  4. This is the most important one: HAVE FUN!

JR

Be SAFE, have FUN, and hold on for the addiction!

Mostly importantly: Be Safe!

Secondly: Have Fun

Here’s a piece of advice you may have not heard and it may ruffle some feathers, but So What?!

You are going to hear a lot of what I call “You should do’s”. 
- You should get so & so to slick up your (whatever)

- You should dump that (whatever) gun and get you a (most ultimate expensive gun ever)

- You should try this maneuver when transitioning so you can do (whatever)

Don’t get me wrong, folks mean well with their recommendations, but this is new to you. Thank them for their recommendations, but unless it’s safety related, just thank them and continue on. 
It’s hard enough being a new shooter without having to accommodate the “You should do’s”.

Get a few matches under your belt. See how things go. See how well your equipment functions before “slicking up” anything. 

If you let us, Cowboy Action Shooters will spend all your money and then some on “You should do’s”.

Go to your match and be safe and have fun. That’s all “You should do” :D

1. Have fun.

2. Don't shoot no one.

D. All of the above.

One thing to keep in mind, most new shooters get nervous (rightfully so) but don’t think everyone is watching you, they’re not.  The Timer Operator (TO) and the spotters have to watch, other than them you’d be surprised how many don’t.  Don’t worry how you look or how fast you go, learn to count and the target order. Other than that be safe. Remember if you leave with a smile you’ve had a good day!  You’re one Lucky Bastard :D

Oh yeah, take snacks and plenty of water or whatever you drink when your thirsty. Non-alcoholic, of course. That’s for later. 

21 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

One thing to keep in mind, most new shooters get nervous (rightfully so) but don’t think everyone is watching you, they’re not.  The Timer Operator (TO) and the spotters have to watch, other than them you’d be surprised how many don’t.  Don’t worry how you look or how fast you go, learn to count and the target order. Other than that be safe. Remember if you leave with a smile you’ve had a good day!  You’re one Lucky Bastard :D

Thanks

In addition to what's been said, and all of it is valuable. Watch the good shooters - hard. The game is about transitions. 

I.E.

What are their hands doing at all times.......staging their guns in a specific manner for a stage, picking up a gun, drawing, pulling shells, re-holstering, putting guns down in a particular sequence, etc........

Most of all have FUN.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Bastard said:

You could have been called worst . Lol

Now there ya go...new guy being all nice and all...looking for suggestions...

Oh well...fair enough.

Used-to-be has-been Troll's suggestion:

Go as fast as you can and don't worry about misses.

Phantom

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh come on Sue...I like being called a Troll for giving my opinion!!!!!

:rolleyes:

You sir, are a silly goose!!!

The only thing you and a troll have in common is height....that is, if you arw a North Moutain Troll. (Hobbit refference)

Hey, off topic, but are you 'trolling' by EOT?

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Now there ya go...new guy being all nice and all...looking for suggestions...

Oh well...fair enough.

Used-to-be has-been Troll's suggestion:

Go as fast as you can and don't worry about misses.

Phantom

That is JUST a NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

That is JUST a NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Actually yer right. I forgot to add "so long as your misses don't add up to more than your raw time".

Thanks for reminding me!

Phantom

PS: This advice was given to me by a multi-time World and National Champ back when I started...so...take it for what it's worth. 

8 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You sir, are a silly goose!!!

The only thing you and a troll have in common is height....that is, if you arw a North Moutain Troll. (Hobbit refference)

Hey, off topic, but are you 'trolling' by EOT?

Can't make it...helping run Hell On Wheels this year so the travel time to EOT is just too much. It was a hard decision to give up my spot :(

PS: Don't hold this against the folks putting on Hell On Wheels...they're a bunch of real great folks. I just have some dirt on a few of them so they are forced to accept my help :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can't make it...helping run Hell On Wheels this year so the travel time to EOT is just too much. It was a hard decision to give up my spot :(

PS: Don't hold this against the folks putting on Hell On Wheels...they're a bunch of real great folks. I just have some dirt on a few of them so they are forced to accept my help :rolleyes:

You will be missed!!

Smootches!!!

Even after years of shooting, I have 1st stage jitters. Take your time and remember, the T.O. will guide you though the stage. It's ok to ask the help. Be extra careful not to break the 170 with your barrels. That is easy to do so be careful. I wouldn't try to be a spotter this match. But being a brass picker or reset targets would be good.

27 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Even after years of shooting, I have 1st stage jitters. Take your time and remember, the T.O. will guide you though the stage. It's ok to ask the help. Be extra careful not to break the 170 with your barrels. That is easy to do so be careful. I wouldn't try to be a spotter this match. But being a brass picker or reset targets would be good.

Will do. I been to 5 matches to observe.  I have been very welcomed.

Bring a cooler with ice and water, hand sanitizer/moist towelettes, a washcloth or rag to dry your hands or wipe off gun oil/powder,  sunscreen, tissues or handkerchief because the smoke and dust will make your nose run, a portable folding chair if you have one.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually yer right. I forgot to add "so long as your misses don't add up to more than your raw time".

Thanks for reminding me!

Phantom

PS: This advice was given to me by a multi-time World and National Champ back when I started...so...take it for what it's worth. 

Funny you should say that.

I had a SASS Champion once tell me that my technique shooting a 97 would NEVER work

and was one of the slowest ways of shooting it.

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Funny you should say that.

I had a SASS Champion once tell me that my technique shooting a 97 would NEVER work

and was one of the slowest ways of shooting it.

..........Widder

Damn Widderborg...just imagine how fast you coulda been...guess you in me are both in the Usta-be-hasbeen category.

Phantom Trollborg

PS: When you coming out to Colorado?!

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Damn Widderborg...just imagine how fast you coulda been...guess you in me are both in the Usta-be-hasbeen category.

Phantom Trollborg

PS: When you coming out to Colorado?!

Don't know when I'll make it out west again..... but would sure love to visit Colorado.

I'd like to visit Creeeeeker also, maybe wake up Madd Mike while I'm in his neighborhood.

Yep, we are both 'has been Borgs'........ :lol:

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Don't know when I'll make it out west again..... but would sure love to visit Colorado.

I'd like to visit Creeeeeker also, maybe wake up Madd Mike while I'm in his neighborhood.

Yep, we are both 'has been Borgs'........ :lol:

..........Widder

Anytime...  The welcome mat is always out.   For Phantom as well.

19 hours ago, Lucky Bastard said:

Any suggestions 

When you hear the BEEP pause for a bit then start shooting.  Gives your mind a chance to sync with your adrenaline rush. 

Archived