SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else annoyed at todays stores??

Until one has run a business, employed people, had to make a payroll, benefits and the endless gov't red tape and taxes... 

this I have done, and very aware.

Much rather support a bussiness still offering people in their communities a job, than not.

When it comes to Home Depot, I typically shop online, order online, and take advantage of free curbside pickup.  Let them do the shopping and haul it our and load it in my car.  I have done that with everything from home goods to bird seed and mulch.  A lot less frustrating!

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I refuse to use them. 

Somebody is going to have to take my money because I ain't going to get it, ringing it up, bagging it AND paying for it.

I completely agree with you. If they want me to ring it up and bag it myself, they need to put me on the payroll.

BUT-----

I think it's what you're used to. Imagine you're a guy from the 1880s, where you would walk into the General store and tell the clerk what you wanted - I need 3 lb of coffee, a side of bacon, 5 lb of sugar, 10 lb of flour - and the clerk would go around the store getting the stuff that you wanted and pile it up on the counter. So imagine you're that guy from 1880, walking into a supermarket. They don't go get the stuff you want to buy. You have to walk around the store and find it and bring it up to the counter yourself. The nerve of them!!

Lewis Grizzard had a story about eating with a friend at a fast food joint, and when the friend was finished he got up to leave. Lewis asked him if he was going to throw away his trash, and he replied, "this place does not pay me to bus tables".

I buy 90% of everything on line. Amazon prices are what the store has. Gets to my door in 2 days. No driving, parking, traffic or gas usage. And if it isn't what I want, it goes back shipping paid by Amazon. Taking something back to Home Depot, etc., is a 20 minute process, if you have your receipt.

My local HD has a guy who is worth 5 times more than they pay him. He's at the door and all over. He greets you, grabs a cart for you. Asks what you're looking for. Thats going to be on aisle XX. He knows a few of us on a first name basis. When I bought some softener salt I needed it loaded into my car. Who shows up, Jerry. His actions and demeanor were this is my one job, I enjoy doing it for you, and when finished asked if I needed anything else. And of course I'd say he is around 50 years old, not a youngster. He's one of the reasons I go to HD when I have too.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Rye, I am not against the BRAND, just happened to be the store I encountered the issue in that day.

I understand I was just relaying my experience with my local HD!

The reason I like self checkouts is because the older I get the less interaction with people the better.;)

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Why don't stores offer discounts for self check out?  After all, you're doing what they should be doing and doing it for free.

HA!!!  Remember the early days of self-serve gasoline?  If you pumped it yourself, you got it for a nickel less per gallon.  All they were doing was getting you used to pumping it yourself, and gradually weaning the attendents from the payroll.  Before you knew it, there was no one to wash your windshield, and no price differential between full service and self serve.  In fact, there was no more full service.

Things change.

LL  

Why don't stores offer discounts for self check out?  After all, you're doing what they should be doing and doing it for free.

HA!!!  Remember the early days of self-serve gasoline?  If you pumped it yourself, you got it for a nickel less per gallon.  All they were doing was getting you used to pumping it yourself, and gradually weaning the attendents from the payroll.  Before you knew it, there was no one to wash your windshield, and no price differential between full service and self serve.  In fact, there was no more full service.

Things change.

LL  

Went to local grocery chain store this morning to pick up some of the wife's habit( ramen noodles). Went down aisle where they've been for a few years. Not there! Had to cast around and try to find where they moved them to. Finally found the area, but, they didn't have the chicken type. Beef and shrimp ones  up the kazoo, no chicken.Seems everybody likes the chicken ones not the others. Ended up going to Family Dollar to find them.:blush::blush::blush:

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Lewis Grizzard had a story about eating with a friend at a fast food joint, and when the friend was finished he got up to leave. Lewis asked him if he was going to throw away his trash, and he replied, "this place does not pay me to bus tables".

This is what exactly what is wrong with (so called) society now. People don't take responsibility for their own actions. It's NOT MY job.

When you go to a fast food joint, you know what kind of place it is.... Go to the counter, order your food, receive your bag or tray of stuff, get your condiments, take it to your vehicle or table, eat it and take the remains to the trash bin. Lewis Grizzard's friend is an asshole. The fast food employees aren't going to pick up the trash anytime soon, which means the next person that wants to eat at a table has to dispose of some inconsiderate jackass's nasty trash. Stuff like this just pisses me off to no end. It's like not returning the shopping cart to it's place in the parking lot, it's lazy, inconsiderate and it shows ones character...or lack thereof.

This isn't a dig on you Alpo, not in the least...the example you posted just describes what is wrong with todays workforce and society in general.

I'd rather take a beating, than shop at wally-word, or other big stores. 

I don't ask anybody, anything, anymore, I just take a day, and walk around and look and find stuff for myself. I guess I could get some help, but my Spanish is not all that good, nor is my B.F. Egyptian. 

I don't blame the rank and file, minimum wage, workers. One time, one of the employees told me they hired her, and gave her zero training.  

I blame bone-head management. Once, part of my job responsibilities was to advise small businesses of what they could perhaps improve on, to help their businesses. Most of the one's we advised were struggling, and some were days or weeks away from going under. 

Much of the time, the problem was just zero common business sense. 

More than once I was amazed at how ignorant the management was of some of the most basic, common sense, things. 

And, yes....believe it or not, like it or not, admit it or not, deny it or not...there was also some greed involved, at times. 

Gain, and profit have to be there, but that is one dimension of a business, not the entire, complete dimension. 

I had at work, and still have, a magnet stick up cartoon of Maxine, where she is leaning against a filing cabinet, holding a cup of coffee, and she says:    "Not so much goofing off as impersonating upper management".

When Wendy's first came to town here, there were no garbage cans in the dining area. You could not bus your table and throw your trash away because there was no place to do it. You ate, you got up and left. Just like in a restaurant. About every 10 minutes somebody would come from out of the back and wander around with a big service tray, and bus the dirty tables.

That lasted for about a year, maybe two. Then they put in garbage cans and you were supposed to do it yourself.

16 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Home Depot showed combo packs of 3 doorknobs.

So, I went in...could not find the 3 pk anywhere.

Asked a gal...she brought back a gal with her nose in her phone, and a guy with his nose up her behind.

Sorry, that was rude...but fact...

Anyway, girl with phone says "what store did you see them at? And it would have showed you what isle. Anyway, this is all we have."

So I asked "so you can't help me find product that your stores site says you have?"

She continued on where I might possibily find them...all the while the fella was saying "yup, yup..."

Gal #1 was truely looking, and trying to help, and saw a gentleman walk by, called him by name and said "he will find your needs, he is in this department"

I told him what I needed, and he helped me by showing me the #s on the box to choose 3 same keyed locks.

Still got 3, 6 keys and saved $20.

Then the ever changing Box store was again a joy...having to manuever the many 'pickers' with their large tiered carts...finding things 6 isles from where they were last month.

Hmmmm...is my age getting to me???

No Miss Sue....your age is not getting to you. At some point we reach an age that we start to think..."they should have figured all this out, by this time in their lives", and it irks us that we have learned those things but they haven't. I guess we need to carry around a folding chair, for frustration to sit in !!!

5 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

No Miss Sue....your age is not getting to you. At some point we reach an age that we start to think..."they should have figured all this out, by this time in their lives", and it irks us that we have learned those things but they haven't. I guess we need to carry around a folding chair, for frustration to sit in !!!

I tell ya!!!

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

This is what exactly what is wrong with (so called) society now. People don't take responsibility for their own actions. It's NOT MY job.

When you go to a fast food joint, you know what kind of place it is.... Go to the counter, order your food, receive your bag or tray of stuff, get your condiments, take it to your vehicle or table, eat it and take the remains to the trash bin. Lewis Grizzard's friend is an asshole. The fast food employees aren't going to pick up the trash anytime soon, which means the next person that wants to eat at a table has to dispose of some inconsiderate jackass's nasty trash. Stuff like this just pisses me off to no end. It's like not returning the shopping cart to it's place in the parking lot, it's lazy, inconsiderate and it shows ones character...or lack thereof.

This isn't a dig on you Alpo, not in the least...the example you posted just describes what is wrong with todays workforce and society in general.

Sounds like a thing I'd do.  Even if they bus the tables and / or counters it's rare to find a clean one.  

I pay for service.  For exceptional service I tip up to 40%, usually only 20%.  For poor service I leave a nickel because no tip might be an oversight, but a nickel is a comment.

As to naming someone you don't know an asshole, let me be the first to tell you that it takes one to know one.  Being one myself I can tell you that you fit that mould, too.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I completely agree with you. If they want me to ring it up and bag it myself, they need to put me on the payroll.

BUT-----

I think it's what you're used to. Imagine you're a guy from the 1880s, where you would walk into the General store and tell the clerk what you wanted - I need 3 lb of coffee, a side of bacon, 5 lb of sugar, 10 lb of flour - and the clerk would go around the store getting the stuff that you wanted and pile it up on the counter. So imagine you're that guy from 1880, walking into a supermarket. They don't go get the stuff you want to buy. You have to walk around the store and find it and bring it up to the counter yourself. The nerve of them!!

What's the difference between the guy in 1880 and using one of the 'in store pick up' apps?

Retail is going full circle.  A hundred years ago, you told the clerk what you wanted or gave him a list.  These days, you buy it on the internet or pick it out on an app.

As for the modern supermarket, that's all Piggly Wiggly's fault.  They started it.

4 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Went to local grocery chain store this morning to pick up some of the wife's habit( ramen noodles). Went down aisle where they've been for a few years. Not there! Had to cast around and try to find where they moved them to. Finally found the area, but, they didn't have the chicken type. Beef and shrimp ones  up the kazoo, no chicken.Seems everybody likes the chicken ones not the others. Ended up going to Family Dollar to find them.:blush::blush::blush:

That's why they moved them around.

Grocery stores move stuff around like that as much to make you look around at what else is on the shelves (to encourage impulse buying and to make you aware of what else they carry) as that do to make room for new items. 

Every store has a 'flow' to it and the chains charge a premium for placement in the first part of any section because that supposedly increases sales.  To placate all of the brands, they rotate who is 'first' 2-3 times a year (and pull discontinued items along with adding anything new to the section), so Del Monte can't be always be the first green beans you see as you approach all of the time.  Green Giant or whoever gets a turn, too.

Sounds like a thing I'd do.  Even if they bus the tables and / or counters it's rare to find a clean one.  

I pay for service.  For exceptional serviceI tip up to 40%, usually only 20%.  For poor service I leave a nickel because no tip might be an oversight, but a nickel is a comment.

As to naming someone you don't know an asshole, let me be the first tp tell you that it takes one to know one.  Being one myself I can tell you that you fit that mould, too.

Okay Forty, it's obvious that you don't care for me or my posts. I don't know why as I've never intentionally insulted you or tried to rile you yet you come after me like I have. Why don't we agree to put each other on the Ignore list. I think it will create a much more harmonious outcome and be better for the Saloon. I'll wait for your reply before doing so.

BTW, calling a fictional character, out of a fictional book, an asshole is not insulting to anyone except maybe the author.

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

BTW, calling a fictional character, out of a fictional book, an asshole is not insulting to anyone except maybe the author.

Grizzard is from up the road a piece.  From what I've been told by folks that knew him back in the day, that wouldn't be doing anything but telling him the truth and it ain't anything that he hadn't heard before on repeated occasions.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's why they moved them around.

Grocery stores move stuff around like that as much to make you look around at what else is on the shelves (to encourage impulse buying and to make you aware of what else they carry) as that do to make room for new items. 

Every store has a 'flow' to it and the chains charge a premium for placement in the first part of any section because that supposedly increases sales.  To placate all of the brands, they rotate who is 'first' 2-3 times a year (and pull discontinued items along with adding anything new to the section), so Del Monte can't be always be the first green beans you see as you approach all of the time.  Green Giant or whoever gets a turn, too.

But there is no system or pattern to where they put stuff.  Example, I was looking for salsa.  It's in the Mexican food section, the deli, the produce department, in the craft cheese bins, in the chips and dips aisle and on at least three end caps....and they still don't have enough variety to entice me much.

I prefer to make my own with sour cream, Watkins cucumber and dill seasoning, some finely chopped dill pickles, with some dill juice, and a sprinkle of Ms, Dash original seasoning.

The "craft" potato chips I favor are Lay's Classic.

BTW, are any of you Watkins dealers?

Well...years ago my former employer was having their customer parking lot asphalt replaced with concrete.  Employer assumed the Contractor would furnish barricades.  Nope and the Contractor is pouring cement now.  I found a bunch of traffic cones in a Supplier's warehouse and hour drive away.  Called the Supplier to ask if I placed an order could I pickup the order at their warehouse.  Supplier said YES and give them an hour for my order to float through their computer system.  I jump in a truck and off I go.

An hour later i'm standing at the front counter of the warehouse to pick up my traffic cones.  I'm told they have received my order but the printer out in the warehouse floor has "broken" so they can't print my order for the Picker.  I told them I'll wait.  An hour later a management looking guy (MLG) walks by looking me over.  Another hour passes and the same MLG walks over to me and asks if there is something he could do for me?  I explain the situation to him which the lady behind the counter confirm.  MLG tells me he doesn't know when the printer will be fixed.  I asked the MLG if the Counter Lady's computer would tell us what Aisle, Row and Bin the traffic cones could be locate at?  MLG looks at the Counter Lady and she nods her head yes.  I suggest they write down the Aisle, Row and Bin on a scrap piece of paper and point me in the right direction, I'll get them myself.  MLG gives me a strange look, walks over to the Counter Lady to whisper something to her.  She hands MLG a piece a paper and then he walks thought a door marked "Employees Only".   A few minutes later he's back telling me my order is waiting for me at the first loading dock.  That wasn't so hard, was it?!?!

I got back to work just before the Concrete Contractor started packing up.  Traffic cones with yellow tape strung between them was sufficient to keep the customers from parking on the fresh concrete. 

The story of when the County employee insisted I couldn't lodge a compliant without the property's address (large empty farm field) will wait until another time.

Archived