SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else annoyed at todays stores??

Home Depot showed combo packs of 3 doorknobs.

So, I went in...could not find the 3 pk anywhere.

Asked a gal...she brought back a gal with her nose in her phone, and a guy with his nose up her behind.

Sorry, that was rude...but fact...

Anyway, girl with phone says "what store did you see them at? And it would have showed you what isle. Anyway, this is all we have."

So I asked "so you can't help me find product that your stores site says you have?"

She continued on where I might possibily find them...all the while the fella was saying "yup, yup..."

Gal #1 was truely looking, and trying to help, and saw a gentleman walk by, called him by name and said "he will find your needs, he is in this department"

I told him what I needed, and he helped me by showing me the #s on the box to choose 3 same keyed locks.

Still got 3, 6 keys and saved $20.

Then the ever changing Box store was again a joy...having to manuever the many 'pickers' with their large tiered carts...finding things 6 isles from where they were last month.

Hmmmm...is my age getting to me???

I've noticed in big box stores,  and even some supermarkets, that when I ask where something is, or if they have it in stock, the phone comes out, the app opens up, and they can tell me which aisle,  which side of the aisle, and how far down the aisle.   Oh, and they have 6 in stock.

8 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I really do find myself with NO PATIENCE these days!!!

Me too!  That is why I seldom post on the SASS Wire anymore.  I'm afraid I will say what I am thinking and push post by accident rather than delete.  

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Me too!  That is why I seldom post on the SASS Wire anymore.  I'm afraid I will say what I am thinking and push post by accident rather than delete.  

Me as well. 

@Singin' Sue 71615

Funny you should mention this. I spent an hour in Lowe’s yesterday shaking my head and cursing under my breath trying to find some Milwaukee permanent markers and some hardware I needed. No one seemed to know the location of the hardware I needed, so I found it on my own. Then I went to the tool department where 5 employees were milling about. 2 girls and 3 guys, all of which were discussing some party or bar meet this weekend. I asked where the Milwaukee markers were and a disappointed guy took me over to an end cap full of Sharpie markers. He then walked away. 
I started back toward the group to tell bright boy that I didn’t want Sharpies and I swear they saw me, looked at each other and scattered like roaches. 
I found another guy and asked him and he said they had none. 

I found myself just wishing I had ordered my stuff from Amazon. 

Do y’all think it’s possible that the dumbassery here in America is a conspiracy all set up for us to buy everything from Amazon? :lol:

Walk out, after telling the top manager on duty what has happened.

It’s a start.  

And you will sleep better.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Asked a gal...she brought back a gal with her nose in her phone, and a guy with his nose up her behind.

Anyway, girl with phone says "what store did you see them at? And it would have showed you what isle. Anyway, this is all we have."

So I asked "so you can't help me find product that your stores site says you have?"

She continued on where I might possibily find them...all the while the fella was saying "yup, yup..."

Gal #1 was truely looking, and trying to help, and saw a gentleman walk by, called him by name and said "he will find your needs, he is in this department"

I told him what I needed, and he helped me by showing me the #s on the box to choose 3 same keyed locks.

Then the ever changing Box store was again a joy...having to manuever the many 'pickers' with their large tiered carts...finding things 6 isles from where they were last month.

Never trust 3rd party apps or the online inventories.  I work on interactive displays in retail and big box stores (I'm working on an LG tv 'experience' at Best Buy in the morning) for a living and I'm a proverbial 'fly on the wall' for a lot of customer interactions where the shopper is waving their phone saying, "It shows it's in stock," while the employee is waving their hand held (that's tied into both the inventory system and the POS system so it updates pretty much instantly) saying, "But our store system doesn't show any."

Just because they show something as 'in stock' on line, it doesn't mean it was actually received by the store (shortages happen on every shipment in some way, shape, form or fashion) but the shipment adjustment hasn't hit the online part of the system yet, it could be that it was just delivered and the latest shipment hasn't been pushed completely to the floor yet (I've seen that one happen a LOT), there's a delay in the online updates after sales (you buy it and the online inventory doesn't update for hours or even the next day) OR it was received, the location on the floor was filled and the rest was back stocked and they have sold through but haven't restocked it yet.

Don't forget about the impact of the online order, and pick up services are having with all of retail.  There's a LOT of stuff going into bags and getting carried to cars these days.  The question is, when does that item come out of inventory?  When it's 'picked' or when it is picked up?  How big is the delay on the inventory change, too?

Target is probably the best at keeping track of what's in their stores since everything is assigned a location both on the floor and in the stockroom or warehouse.  When you move something, it's supposed to be shot out of it's location and relocated wherever you put it.  They run a closed stockroom- even vendors must be certified in their procedures to gain access to it- and are pretty hardcore about coming down on folks that don't do what they are supposed to do.

Don't get me started on stockroom and warehouse horror stories.  We do initial set up on a lot of displays for the manufacturers and certain chains (cough...cough...Walmart... cough...cough) are so disorganized that my company expects and factors in an average of a 45 minute delay in just finding the shipment and getting it to the floor so we can assemble/set it up into every store call we make there if we have to go into the stock room to get anything.

How does it take 45 minutes to find a well marked pallet of shrink wrapped boxes, you ask? 

In my experience, that's actually pretty quick for some stores.  I've spent that long just trying to find somebody to pull a pallet (that I found- because nobody in that stock room could find their own butt with both hands, a map,  a compass and a full length mirror) down to the floor from the top rack of the steel.

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748Not a conspiracy.  There is a reason they are working there.  Those that start a job a Lowe's because of their passion get burnt out by those burn outs.  Then the customer is left to deal with them.

If you find it on Lowe's website, you can checkout online then pick it up at customer service.  Not having to run their ratrace is worth it.

Any more I try to look it up online before I go if the store has that capability. 
Same with researching products, if I go to the manufacturers website and look for some reviews I typically know far more about the product than the people selling them . Although it is refreshing when you find a business or salesperson that knows what they are doing.

If I don’t need it right away I’ll just order it and let brown Santa deliver it to avoid the human contact. 

Nothing to do with Covid, I was like this pre plandemic 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've noticed in big box stores,  and even some supermarkets, that when I ask where something is, or if they have it in stock, the phone comes out, the app opens up, and they can tell me which aisle,  which side of the aisle, and how far down the aisle.   Oh, and they have 6 in stock.

Both Lowes and Home depot websites do this. You don't need to download their app or track down the ever elusive store employee. You can even do this at home and write down the locations.

Open the webpage and make sure the store you are in is showing as "My Store". Look up what you want and then check the pick it up today box. Now you are seeing what is most likely in stock at that store. Select the item you want to buy.

Here is where it is on Home Depot's page

image.png.783ea11fd562346e2f4e97274c19ce18.png

And on Lowes' page.

image.thumb.png.329b6448d590559ae493d4129acdc0f5.png

If you build a shopping list my local grocery store will tell you what Isle it is on. Can do this on my phone or at home no app needed

BTW wallyworld requires their app.

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Hmmmm...is my age getting to me??? ..........

Yep

A6X5O2l.jpg

i need one of those whe navigating stores these days - long gone are the days whe you know where everything is and make a qick in-and-out trip 

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I really do find myself with NO PATIENCE these days!!!

I  always find myself impressed by how stupid retailers in general are and how little they concern themselves with their customers.  Aisle are packed with pallets of product, aisles are closed while they restocked shelves (whatever happened to a third shift doing this while the store was closed?), it's nearly impossible to find any to help at all and even harder to find anyone who knows what they are talking about.  Major store have practically no carts or buggies,  they stock too much specialized merchandise and let lots of essentials go empty.  Prices are not clearly marked in many cases and is impoosible to buy anything with a comprehensive instruction sheet.

There are exceptions: True Value is a gem.  So is Hobby Lobby and Michaels is close behind.  A new home improvement store...Alliance...just opened next to Walmart and is pleasure to shop.  I'm waiting to see how long until the "new" wears off.  BTW, I was in Walmart today to buy two items. It should have taken under ten minutes but they had half of their self check out stains closed and only three  if fifteen cash registers operating.  My ten minute visit took and hour and five.

Does anyone sell anything thing that isn't "family sized" any more?  I am a single senior citizen (a growing market, incidentally) and throw any a lot of food because I can'r buy some items...MOST items...that aren't sized for  a family of four or more.

Let's discuss the "background" music that is way to hell and gone too loud, tends to be screechy and totally inappropriate.

I asked the manager of my grocery for help and he tells me that it's vendor issue, or it's "corporate policy", or the union won't allow it.  Then he gets ticked off when I ask him what he really does there, because he doesn't seem to manage any thing.

I could go on literally indefinitely because EVERYTHING annoys me these days, and by "these days" I don't mean since the covid crap hit.  It's been going on for several years now and it's getting worse.

And yet they don't see any correlation between this and loss of sales to the web.  At one time I swore I'd never buy anything on line, but now about 75% of my none-grocery stuff comes from the net. Of course I haven't been able to find anyone who sells gasoline, some perishable products, and such, but when I do that percentage will rise.

See what you started, Sue?

A couple of months ago our local Lowes re-arranged 75-80% of their store.  But they did it in stages. Moved some stuff, but not the signs. Then moved some signs, but not the stuff. Then moved both signs and stuff, but not to the same place.

Extremely aggravating!!

"............I could go on literally indefinitely because EVERYTHING annoys me these days, and by "these days" I don't mean since the covid crap hit.  It's been going on for several years now and it's getting worse............"

i think thats cause your gettin old and cranky , but , im there with you , i agree near everything annoys me as well when it comes to retail in person , but i hate that we have to pay the prices and self checkout at so many places as well , there was a time when customer service and personal interaction was part of a satisfying experience when shopping , 

i cant disagree on the online shopping - too bad too , it will eliminate a lot of jobs in local business that feed local families , sometimes i wonder if anyone even thinks about this fallout from their actions/attitudes , 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Me as well. 

@Singin' Sue 71615

Funny you should mention this. I spent an hour in Lowe’s yesterday shaking my head and cursing under my breath trying to find some Milwaukee permanent markers and some hardware I needed. No one seemed to know the location of the hardware I needed, so I found it on my own. Then I went to the tool department where 5 employees were milling about. 2 girls and 3 guys, all of which were discussing some party or bar meet this weekend. I asked where the Milwaukee markers were and a disappointed guy took me over to an end cap full of Sharpie markers. He then walked away. 
I started back toward the group to tell bright boy that I didn’t want Sharpies and I swear they saw me, looked at each other and scattered like roaches. 
I found another guy and asked him and he said they had none. 

I found myself just wishing I had ordered my stuff from Amazon. 

Do y’all think it’s possible that the dumbassery here in America is a conspiracy all set up for us to buy everything from Amazon? :lol:

Or at least buy everything online.

53 minutes ago, watab kid said:

"............I could go on literally indefinitely because EVERYTHING annoys me these days, and by "these days" I don't mean since the covid crap hit.  It's been going on for several years now and it's getting worse............"

i think thats cause your gettin old and cranky , but , im there with you , i agree near everything annoys me as well when it comes to retail in person , but i hate that we have to pay the prices and self checkout at so many places as well , there was a time when customer service and personal interaction was part of a satisfying experience when shopping , 

i cant disagree on the online shopping - too bad too , it will eliminate a lot of jobs in local business that feed local families , sometimes i wonder if anyone even thinks about this fallout from their actions/attitudes , 

I think about it all the time.:blink:

16 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It's not your age or attitude. It sure does seem like people DON'T want to do their job any more, they just want a paycheck for staring at their damn personal cell phone for 8 hours.

If you are lucky enough to find the item that you want or are lucky enough to find someone to help find the item for you want, make sure that the packaging hasn't been opened before. The big box stores, especially HD or Lowes, love to take returned items and re-package them. Then they put them back out for sale as new items. Most of the times, these returned items have parts missing or are defective to begin with. 

Like Forty Rod, I don't like to buy things on line. I'm more of a "I like to see what I'm buying" person. With that said, I do find myself buying more and more items on line as it is usually an exercise in frustration going to a big box store anymore.

Seems like the days of customer service are gone in most respects. I don't think that they will return anytime soon.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And yet they don't see any correlation between this and loss of sales to the web.  At one time I swore I'd never buy anything on line, but now about 75% of my none-grocery stuff comes from the net.

It's no longer a "loss" of sales to the net; it's a determined effort by retailers to drive sales online, enabling them to reduce human, real estate and store inventory overhead.  It's the Amazon model.  As for unhelpful employees, training and intelligence cost money that many retailers are unwilling to spend.

LL

I have no problem with Home Depot. For example, a couple weeks ago I bought a Toro lawnmower there and 3 days later I saw the same exact one at Ace for $30.00 less. I asked Home Depot about it and the nice girl at the service desk said "We have a price guarantee, yes we can give you a $30.00 credit. 

I've bought a washer and dryer there and also a stove. They were delivered and setup on time no problems. Home Depot is also very "veteran friendly". :FlagAm:

Thumbs up for Home Depot!;)

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

BTW, I was in Walmart today to buy two items. It should have taken under ten minutes but they had half of their self check out stains closed and only three  if fifteen cash registers operating.  My ten minute visit took and hour and five

Both our Super Walmart and the Neighborhood market recently removed all their cashiers and replaced them with self checkout. The NHM has one cashier lane and the Super has 2.

Our local Brookshires employs lots of high school and junior college kids. Yes the groceries might be a little more expensive but the quality is way better and the kids learn work ethic. Super 1 also has lots of people employed as cashiers and when you ask one where something is they can tell you.

The reason I no longer shop at the Super is because they rearrange the store monthly. I am beyond sick and tired of not being able to find an item because corporate thinks it is a good idea to make you roam over 3 acres of store to find the one item I need.

I prefer the self checkouts provided there's enough open and the people using them know what they're doing!:P

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I prefer the self checkouts provided there's enough open and the people using them know what they're doing!:P

I refuse to use them. 

Somebody is going to have to take my money because I ain't going to get it, ringing it up, bagging it AND paying for it.

52 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have no problem with Home Depot. For example, a couple weeks ago I bought a Toro lawnmower there and 3 days later I saw the same exact one at Ace for $30.00 less. I asked Home Depot about it and the nice girl at the service desk said "We have a price guarantee, yes we can give you a $30.00 credit. 

I've bought a washer and dryer there and also a stove. They were delivered and setup on time no problems. Home Depot is also very "veteran friendly". :FlagAm:

Thumbs up for Home Depot!;)

Rye, I am not against the BRAND, just happened to be the store I encountered the issue in that day.

53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Both our Super Walmart and the Neighborhood market recently removed all their cashiers and replaced them with self checkout. The NHM has one cashier lane and the Super has 2.

Our local Brookshires employs lots of high school and junior college kids. Yes the groceries might be a little more expensive but the quality is way better and the kids learn work ethic. Super 1 also has lots of people employed as cashiers and when you ask one where something is they can tell you.

The reason I no longer shop at the Super is because they rearrange the store monthly. I am beyond sick and tired of not being able to find an item because corporate thinks it is a good idea to make you roam over 3 acres of store to find the one item I need.

It is a proven fact that you will buy more on impulse buying.

Human nature I suppose.

I have been visiting the local IGA...

12 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yes, because there are other customers there getting in my way!

More seriously, most of the people working there are either there because they are trying to supplement their retirement income or because it was the only job they could get.  To be unkind, most of them aren't the best and brightest.  Combine that, for the younger employees, with an education system that doesn't teach them to think and you get lousy customer service.

I do most of my shopping online now, I get what I want, it gets shipped right to my door and I don't have to drive around trying to find something and deal with people.

There are a couple of things I order online.

But I do not want to be FORCED to do so. And that seems to be the push.

The downside is getting product that is not exact to my online order.

I also wonder about all the package theft I see in cities.

I am ready to go to a simple life.

53 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Why don't stores offer discounts for self check out?  After all, you're doing what they should be doing and doing it for free.

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I once asked if I'd get a discount for using a "self checkout" .............. blank stare and shake of head.

So, I refuse to use "self checkout".

The only time I use it is if I have a couple of items and lines are backed up.  But definitely a scam , less service for the same price 

I also refuse to use self checkouts.I worked in retail for 50 years,and was there at the beginning of that program,and I was on both sides, labor and management. 

For every one self checkout stand operating, it puts up to 5 workers out of a job.

I agree that some of those people could care less about their jobs, but there are those that do care , and rely on that job to support their families.

Choctaw Jack

13 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I also refuse to use self checkouts.I worked in retail for 50 years,and was there at the beginning of that program,and I was on both sides, labor and management. 

For every one self checkout stand operating, it puts up to 5 workers out of a job.

I agree that some of those people could care less about their jobs, but there are those that do care , and rely on that job to support their families.

Choctaw Jack

Too many have been 'told' that those cashiers will have different jobs, as in 'pickers' stockers, ect.

Not the case in our local stores.

People are the biggest expense (and headache) for every business.
The burden (total cost of employment) is far higher than the advertised hourly wage.
Kiosks don't call in sick, come to work with C19 or a hangover, require workman's comp, medical, vacation, or have attitude problems.
Kiosks don't bitch, protest, go on strike or walk picket lines.
Kiosks don't require paid time off to vote, do jury duty or attend ANTIFA/BLM protests.

ATMs have put tellers out of business.
Self-serve has put gas station attendants out of business.
Self-checkout has put cashiers out of business.
Phone apps have put store floor people out of business.
Amazon has put entire stores out of business.

Until one has run a business, employed people, had to make a payroll, benefits and the endless gov't red tape and taxes... they really don't have a clue as to how much a PITA that employees really are.

In my area, I usually don't have any problems at Home Depot.
I have to go to Lowe's to find clueless and rude employees.

Archived