SASS Wire Forum

Best Recoil Pads for Shotguns

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

I am going to modify a Stoeger coach gun for my wife. She is very petite.  Before I start worrying about length-of-pull (LOP), I want to get a really good recoil pad for her.  Then I can make the needed adjustments. 

What makes/models of pads do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Co. Del Rio

A grind-to-fit KickEEZ pad.   KickEEZ cause it's the best for recoil absorption.  Grind to fit, because you will almost certainly NEED to trim the stock down to a shorter length.  The minute you chop any length off the stock, a  "FACTORY FIT" pad for a Stoeger no longer fits.  And the grind-to-fit will fit to whatever stock you have.  Factory fit pad can have reinforcing steel in it at the most inconvenient places, so it gets exposed by grinding it down.  Take a measurement of the hiegght and width of factory stock and get a grind-to-fit that is that size or slightly bigger.

Then, use your GOOGLE FOO to look up several good instructions on how to freeze, grind and polish the pad.

Now, if you have no mechanical skills, tools, or patience, go to a good shotgun smith and let him FIT the stock to her, and then FIT the pad to her shotgun.

And I believe you have the sequence wrong.   Fit her stock FIRST (even if you have to use a slip-on pad for a match or two), then fit the recoil pad (so you don't have to grind on the pad twice).

good luck, GJ

Kick EEze are great but if you can't find one, the Remington Super Cell pads are another good option.

I just fit one of the Pachmayr F325 pads to an old Remington Model 14, and I really like how it came out. I don't think the open cell type rubber will be as good for recoil reduction as the softer foams are, but it was very easy to fit, and it required no polishing. If you want it to look nice, it seems the softer foams just look kinda, you know, foamish. I like the look of the F325 with the white stripe.

I wouldn't want to attempt it without a benchtop belt sander, though. You could certainly do it with lesser tools, but more patience would be required. Good luck!

image.png.af6b241ab66777d89d6b0a6f77c78623.png

with the light loads we use and the few shots taken , ive never thought of these on my SASS shotguns but i agree wholeheartedly with those recommended above , i have them on my sporting clays and trap guns , they work really well , 

Even if you are not mechanically inclined, you can do the work/fitting.  If it doesn't fit perfectly, who cares?  Most shooters put a leather butt cover on their rifles for slippage, but it will also cover the fitting.

I install a mercury recoil suppressor inside of the stock, then add the butt pad, and leather cover.  I stuff strips of a wool blanket inside of the leather butt cover and don't notice any kick at all.  Sometimes, in the heat of moving to shoot, I don't actually shoulder the 12 gauge and it all works out for me.

21 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Now, if you have no mechanical skills, tools, or patience, go to a good shotgun smith and let him FIT the stock to her, and then FIT the pad to her shotgun.

Amen to that.

The angle of the butt pad is typically oriented for a shotgun aimed up for clays or game.
It is my understanding there is benefit for having the angle fitted to the specific shooter's length of pull AND the horizontal to down-angle of SASS targets.

Most folks are not tooled for a grind-to-fit pad, which means more tool expense, or a trip to a good smith for correct fitting and pad grinding.
I bought the Kick-EEZ pad in maximum thickness for my Stoeger... but it died before I fit it, so I have to fit it to my Miroku/Daly 500.

14 hours ago, watab kid said:

ive never thought of these on my SASS shotguns but i agree wholeheartedly with those recommended above , i have them on my sporting clays and trap guns

None of my Cowboy or WB shotguns have recoil pads.   Have seen female (and male) shooters INSIST on having them installed.  Better to keep them happy than sore (in more than one way).

good luck, GJ

My bride was exposed to her dad's 10-gauge as a kid.
This did not go well for her.
It is indeed true, "a lady never forgets her first time"

If I expose her to an unpleasant 12-gauge, she will quit.
She will walk away and never come back.

My coach gun has a metal butt plate.
It has a solid thump with Gun Club trap shells.
It has a savage recoil with #1 buckshot or slugs.

When the time comes, I will take her to the trap range first.
I have a Remington V3 (gas gun) that is pleasant to shoot with trap loads.
It is very soft with AA Featherlites, to the point it won't cycle the next round.
I figure this will be her introduction to shotguns.
It is the very lightest I can come up with.

56 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Amen to that.

The angle of the butt pad is typically oriented for a shotgun aimed up for clays or game.
It is my understanding there is benefit for having the angle fitted to the specific shooter's length of pull AND the horizontal to down-angle of SASS targets.

Most folks are not tooled for a grind-to-fit pad, which means more tool expense, or a trip to a good smith for correct fitting and pad grinding.
I bought the Kick-EEZ pad in maximum thickness for my Stoeger... but it died before I fit it, so I have to fit it to my Miroku/Daly 500.

THIS and using BP were the factors that made a difference for me....
The reverse cut on the butt so that the "pointy" is not digging in and the "push" of black powder rather than the kick of smokeless...total do it yourself job too-all you need is a saw and a protractor.
Some of the meds I take have made me start to bruise more-and it was very noticeable using smokeless and before I cut the butt to a negative cant.
The loading of BP shotgun shells is painless-and a good intro to BP. A 50 dollar Lee Load all...or just the basic hand tools you  can google and youre on your way...the Lady will end up enjoying the shotgun rather than fearing it.
Recoil pad doesnt make a difference to me I couldnt even tell you what kind is on mine...

Archived