SASS Wire Forum

SOLD - Taylors 1873 44-40 Carbine

WatchMan

Up for sale is a beautiful Taylors model 1873 lever action rifle chambered in 44-40. It has an octagonal barrel that’s 18 inches long and absolutely pristine. I purchased it and they never got used so I’m offering it up for sale to my fellow cowboys!   I never had a chance to do the action job or a super short stroke kit on it but I can have it done if you’re looking for something that is race ready out of the box!  Asking what I paid for it, $1,250. 

31885659-7AF7-4CA6-B66C-C139FF8C4983.jpeg

72CF7729-210C-4704-A209-5B999F99991E.jpeg

4FF4877F-1536-41C1-9253-9E6670566363.jpeg

1 hour ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Sure wish the piggy bank wasn't empty!  :(:(:(

Raid the kids piggy bank...Maybe wife has one to raid....

Texas Lizard

It sure is pretty....But have 4 or 5 already....And no room....

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Raid the kids piggy bank...Maybe wife has one to raid....

Texas Lizard

It sure is pretty....But have 4 or 5 already....And no room....

I tried raiding the wife's cash stash once. 'Round these parts, I'm known as Muley Gil, the one handed mule skinner. :D

Pretty sure ya need a little over 15" to get 10 in. Don't leave much room for a spring, less ya got a magic one

I'll buy it if I'm wrong, either way

12 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They hold ten easy.  Remember that the last round you load is on the carrier, not in the tube. 

???

12 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They hold ten easy.  Remember that the last round you load is on the carrier, not in the tube. 

Hmm. Not at my club. We have the rifle staged closed with empty chamber, so there must be room for 10 in the tube. Never heard of anywhere else doing different.

Think we're all on the same page there. I have a few of these in 20" & 18". Don't have a 16". I do happen to have an 18 that's tore down right now, so here's some pics for reference.

Notes: Tape measure doesn't capture the space requirement for the mag end cap or spring follower, though this is minimal.

This particular rifle has a barrel length of 19" and the mag tube length is 18 3/8. Fairly safe to extrapolate relative measurements to a 16" carbine.

Right side of the blue tape is 2" back, ROUGHLY simulating what a 16" rifles mag tube would be.

Probably should kick this out of the classifieds and into an appropriate forum. Anyhow, I hope this might be useful for some feller.

503732479_73magtube-1(2).thumb.jpg.cc22847be418dcd1518c4c29fcf3aaa2.jpg

73 mag tube-1.jpg

Forgot...This carbines mag tube had approx 2.5" of space for the compressed spring. 10 rounds just fit with a hair to spare

Looks like the shorter tube would only leave 2" for the compressed spring with only 9 rounds. Granted, the spring would likely be shorter.

• WatchMan changed the title to SOLD - Taylors 1873 44-40 Carbine

Archived