SASS Wire Forum

Finger Tight

Subdeacon Joe

About 50 years ago Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was a popular read. I recall someone explaining to me that the states of tightening were finger tight, wrench tight, torqued, and broken. I think there was one more state but I can’t remember it.

That is one of the few books I read critically. It gave me reality issues.

Author wrote a 2nd book on morals/ethics

22 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

i need a left hand version

always thought just that when messin with gas fittings , also seems i never get that right the first time , so far no major consequences but im still alive so there is time ....................

17 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Maybe a double ended one that's both metric and standard?:rolleyes:

I have a adjustable wrench around the house somewhere that on one side it has 6" on the other side it has 150mm. I don't remember the brand but it is not one of the better brands.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:52 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

About 50 years ago Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was a popular read. I recall someone explaining to me that the states of tightening were finger tight, wrench tight, torqued, and broken. I think there was one more state but I can’t remember it.

I worked as a floor hand on an oilfield service rig and when we were putting down sucker rod they told me to get it as tight as you can then 1/4 turn more.

2 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

I have a adjustable wrench around the house somewhere that on one side it has 6" on the other side it has 150mm. I don't remember the brand but it is not one of the better brands.

..... leseee now, ... metric AND imperial ..... perhaps a touch schytzoid       ...... ?   :huh:

On 6/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ or, ... maybe even transgender ....   :o

Let's not get too judgy.  One of our new puppies is having an identity crisis and has been identifying as an Australian Shepard recently.

20210418_174052.thumb.jpg.3b307c892b121eba63f696986a07fde0.jpg

He only answers to Augie, Augie, Augie!  Oy, Oy! Oy!:rolleyes:

On 6/5/2021 at 1:00 AM, Dustin Checotah said:

I found the wrench but I was mistaken it has both the 6" and 150mm on the same side and it is a well known brand. I call them "Universal Nut Rounders". They were the largest adjustable wrench allowed in the engine room aboard the Nimitz when I was stationed there. We could only really use them on valve packing nuts and shaft seals on smaller pumps.

image.thumb.png.5d269a88d688dfcbb32c750bb3e156bf.png

Archived