SASS Wire Forum

Ballpark figure AR500

Snakebite

Not a good time to be buying steel (or copper). We have been getting significant increases from our suppliers (simple sheet steel, not armor).  Higher prices and longer leadtimes… and rumors of things coming back down again ( a little bit) sometime in late Q4.

Tnx Guys.... I received a call from a club member that says he knows a guy who's uncles wife's sister's husband has a couple of sheets. I don't know yet what price he wants for it or where it came from but wanted to have at least some idea of what Street value was. I don't know how to tell if it really is AR500. I bought of load of Oak lumber from a guy rolling through the area one time many years ago. I was able to tell it was oak just by looking at it, but steel isn't that easy. We now have about 300 AR500 targets, but they were purchased over the years as "AR500 Targets" from a commercial company. What ever they are, they have never pitted.  

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Tnx Guys.... I received a call from a club member that says he knows a guy who's uncles wife's sister's husband has a couple of sheets. I don't know yet what price he wants for it or where it came from but wanted to have at least some idea of what Street value was. I don't know how to tell if it really is AR500. I bought of load of Oak lumber from a guy rolling through the area one time many years ago. I was able to tell it was oak just by looking at it, but steel isn't that easy. We now have about 300 AR500 targets, but they were purchased over the years as "AR500 Targets" from a commercial company. What ever they are, they have never pitted.  

Other that a hardness tester, there are a couple of non-scientific things that you can try. Take a metal file, metal awl and hammer with you when you go to check out the steel. With the awl and hammer, strike the steel. If it leaves no mark...that's good. With the edge of the file, run it on an edge of the steel. If it cuts into the steel, it's not hardened.

That's just a couple of things that I've read about over the years to try. It may not tell you what grade of AR steel it may be but it will tell you if it is hardened.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Not a good time to be buying steel (or copper). We have been getting significant increases from our suppliers (simple sheet steel, not armor).  Higher prices and longer leadtimes… and rumors of things coming back down again ( a little bit) sometime in late Q4.

not a good time to be buying lumber either , its doubled and more since last year , everything is up , its a good time to wait and see as things go down , but then if you NEED IT NOW its the right time as always , 

Archived