SASS Wire Forum

mag percussion caps

Bullett Sass 19707

I know the mag percussion caps were meant for igniting pyrodex pellets and the like.   Has someone tried them on a percussion revolver?   Maybe the better question should you try them on a percussion revolver?  Thanks Bullett 19707

They will be perfectly safe to try, but they may not fit your nipples very well.  I have several tins of CCI #11 Magnum caps.  I use a couple each deer season on my TC Hawken, and the rest to dry out the chambers on my percussion revolvers before a match.  Usually I have to go around twice to get them all to pop, even after seating them on the nipples with a push stick.  They will eventually ignite but might not produce the quickest times on a stage.  I stick with Remington #10s for competition times.

I tried the Winchester #11s for one stage.  They fragment bad and lock up pistol.

the slix nipples are stating they are rated for #11 CCI.  I did a little milling with a stone set and drill.  Just a little at a time.  If the CCI #11 fits the nipple easily using the capper and stays on, I’d think you are golden.  I’ll experiment again next weekend at PoP in Lenexa.  Could be a train wreck, could be another option to this wonderful mess we’re in for shooting components.

I’ve been using the CCI #11 Magnums with mixed success on my ‘58 NMAs.  You have to make sure that your spring screw is tight so they go off the first time or like J-Bar said you’ll wind up going around twice.  The other thing is they fragment more than Remingtons, hope you don’t mind a hot cap on your hand every once in a while.  Other than that they’ve worked good on Slixx nipples with APP and BP. 

I tried CCI # 11 on one stage last week in Iowa.  I have Slix nipples on my 1851 Piettas .44, and have had no issues with Remington or CCI  #10s .  I found the #11s fragmented and stuck to the hammer, despite the hammer safety groove being filled in.  They did not drop into the works, but it would seem a greater risk than #10s.  Do not plan on using #11s unless I run out of 10s.  I have no idea if the same issue would exist on a solid hammer like a Ruger Old Army or Remington New Model Army.

Archived