SASS Wire Forum

Chickens and Eggs

Anyone here have good "Chicken-Foo?"

I'm having an issue here ~ I have seven hens.  Typically, they'll give me an average of five eggs a day - more than enough for my needs.  Then one day about a week and a half ago they suddenly stopped.  Seven good layers - then *click* they turned off.  Not a one egg since.  And this was a week before the weather changed.

So I'm wonderin'... are there any egg-stealing critters that can get through a six-foot chain-link fence?  I put fresh straw in the nest boxes last night, and this afternoon all had been obviously occupied by chickens - but not a single egg.  Hmmm... <_<

Either their organizational skills are better than I might expect and they're on strike, or I have an egg rustler.  Might have to invest in a trail-cam.  :ph34r:

Chain link fence... Squirrels?

Confirm with trail cam. Raccoons would go over or under the fence, dogs and foxes (and weasels and martins and ring-tail cats) would take the chickens.

Or the chickens got sick, but think you would notice that.

With Georgia being heavily involved in  Poultry, I have found that snakes (Black, King, Rat, etc.) love to eat eggs.....Don't know what sort of snakes reside in your area, but I do know they would easily go through a chain link fence.....

Are your chickens going into molt?? They stop laying then. Sometimes a drastic temp. change will make them stop laying for a few days. Usually if here is an "egg stealer" around there will be some evidence such as broken shells etc. If you have squirrels, rats, etc. they can easily get through the holes in a chain link fence.  I had to cover the Queen's outside chain link chicken yard completely with "chicken wire" top, and all sides to keep out squirrels and rats.

I bought fake eggs from tractor supply and sometimes it disappears and I get eggs again.   They say golf balls also work.  Other times I shift their food to scrap vegetables and that also seems to help.  Other times I suddenly get double the usual amount like they were joking around and had them and brought them back out after a few days.

These girls are all Orpingtons - really sweet birds.  Five Buff, one white and one black.  The Buffs are all a bit over a year old; the white and black are about four years old but still laying.  None are molting; it's really hot right now, but the temperatures were quite pleasant for a week after I stopped getting eggs.  

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Are they upset about any new Ganges in their environment? Did you change anything?

The only change was the disappearance of a feral rooster and three hens that used to hang out outside their pen.  I believe they were of Mexican fighting chicken stock, undoubtedly descended from escaped birds.  

They've lived here for years - suddenly, gone.  Now, I thought that was odd!

These were the last of two dozen or more that used to roost in a back yard tree.  Gradually, the numbers dropped, then one morning I found six dead on the ground beneath that tree.  Shortly after, a certain 'possum was dispatched and no more dead chickens for a while.  -_-

Molt, predator scare, depression or weather can cause em to stop. This time of year probably molting. Chicken snake eating eggs is a possibility. Feed em high protein feed. 

If its a snake blow out an egg and take a treble hook and line inside the shell. Secure the line and dispose of the snake.

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Are they upset about any new Ganges in their environment? Did you change anything?

Unless he’s in India I don’t think the Ganges would be a problem.  Don’t you just love spell correct??

45 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Sounds like a case for Ace.

MV5BYmVhNmFmOGYtZjgwNi00ZGQ0LThiMmQtOGZjMDUzNzJhMGIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UY1200_CR93,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Could’a gone a lifetime without seeing that doofus!!

A friend had a problem with snakes getting his eggs.  He laid out golf balls.  After they ate them the snakes couldn't get back though the fence.  So he'd go out every morning and dispatch the offending snakes till the problem was solved. 

Archived