SASS Wire Forum

BP Brands?

Crusty Knees

IMHO, For what we do, brand does not matter.

I’ve used Goex, Schutzen, KIK, Elephant, Swiss, Grafs, Pyrodex, and others that I can’t remember.  It all works!

--Dawg

I'm with P Dawg,  anything works and I have never found any value in shooting higher end powder.   They used to sell Dragon powder that had what looked like sticks in it.  Stuff shot great and was a 1/3 the cost.  I think I was told after the they stopped selling it that it was actually firework lifting powder repackaged.   Best of Luck!

Chili

For handguns and riffles, any brand of FFg or FFFg.  For shotguns, I use Fg or blasting powder.

Have remember, Cowboy is shooting steel at close range and quality of powder doesn’t matter

Dawg, same as your mentioned brands also except any substitutes. For me, add, DuPont, Meteor and Curtis’s & Harvey, it being the best BP ever made

If you’re gonna be at EOT I’ll have plenty of American Pioneer Powder 3F and some 2F as well as the ShootersWorld Multi-Black (formula is Black MZ) made my APP for ShootersWorld. These are BP substitutes... I use everything I sell and the rules around storage and transportation of Black Powder - the “sweet smelling” kind, I can’t do it! :wub:

Whether you shoot a sub or the real thing...smoke is THE MOST FUN! 

Big hugs!!!

Scarlett

18 hours ago, Crusty Knees said:

For Cowboy Action Shooting, does the brand of 3F BP make any difference?  I'm seeing Goex and Schuetzen at the same price.  Olde Eynsford is a bit more and Swiss is the most expensive.   

Well, if you're looking for kaboomy booms where everybody can feel the shockwaves, and potentially set off car alarms 25 yards away, then Swiss 3F might be what you need.

20 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

IMHO, For what we do, brand does not matter.

I’ve used Goex, Schutzen, KIK, Elephant, Swiss, Grafs, Pyrodex, and others that I can’t remember.  It all works!

--Dawg

Do I have to buy another type for Shotshells or can I use 3F?

3Fg works for shotshells -- Just more kick & louder BOOM!

My favorite shotshell powder is 1Fg, cuz it puts on a great show for those watching.

Lotsa smoke, flame, burning particles.

Good BOOM! too

Shotguns will digest anything, so if I find half-full bottles on the sale table, I buy 'em & shoot 'em thru my shotgun!

A few years ago, a guy had some cheep Chinese fireworks powder on a sale table for cheap.

I bought it, and thru my shotgun it went!

--Dawg

thanks guys , as one just starting to look at BP/subs i learned a lot in this simple exchange , i think im not the only smokeless guy starting to look at this as im now able to spend more time on this area , i suspect others are reading this with similar interest and it has been enlightening , i appreciate the input  

Archived